Officiating In The SWAC

MightyDog

My observation of games I attended this year the officiating was greatly improved. Management of the games were excellent. I saw officials helping out on calls and sometimes resulting in waving off flags that would have otherwise stood. Often times in the past an official would call a penalty far from the play, but this year I saw officials discussing what happened rather than allowing the call to be made without discussing the call. AAMU may have led the conference in penalties, however I like the overall managing of the games I saw.

jag4life said:
Translation: Officiating is better because AAMU is going to the SCG...

...and they beat SU.
Correct for $100.00, now going for $200.00.

Will officiating be a problem to MD, when *ram tap that azz all over Legion Field?

It?s been a rough year on the Bluff hasn?t it? AAMU whipped you in Football, Basketball, Volleyball and Soccer. Man it was a great year. :lol:

I have one officials-related question.

Does anyone know if the crew that did the SU/TSU game was from C-USA or some other non-SWAC league?

It's possible because no one knew when or where the game was going to be played until a week or two beforehand.

The reason I ask is that there were four pigmentally challenged officials (including the white hat) instead of the usual one.

PNeck019 said:
I have one officials-related question.

Does anyone know if the crew that did the SU/TSU game was from C-USA or some other non-SWAC league?

It's possible because no one knew when or where the game was going to be played until a week or two beforehand.

The reason I ask is that there were four pigmentally challenged officials (including the white hat) instead of the usual one.

Hmmm... I missed the game. I could have told you. It could have been a crew that was put together just from the Houston chapter. There are quite a few SWAC refs in the Houston area. Our chapter president ("pigmentally challenged..lol) is a SWAC and CUSA ref, and does Texans training camps and drills. His crew has done the Big 12 Championship game a few times in Houston also.

CEE DOG said:
It?s been a rough year on the Bluff hasn?t it? AAMU whipped you in Football, Basketball, Volleyball and Soccer. Man it was a great year. :lol:

...but we never complained about the refs as much as AAMU has.

CEE DOG said:
have you all beat us in any sports besides Basketball last year? Oh I know Volleyball. :lol:

Jag-BR said:
have you all beat us in any sports besides Basketball last year? Oh I know Volleyball. :lol:
We are in 2005 catch up. Present not the past. By the way we own you in B BALL . :hat:

Cee Dog,

You have not beat us two consecutive years in football, therefore you will have a third homecoming loss :smash:

Be happy now, because......

fan4swac said:
Cee Dog,

You have not beat us two consecutive years in football, therefore you will have a third homecoming loss :smash:

Living in the past is ruff on the bluff. :lol: :smash:

fan4swac said:
Cee Dog,

next year.He won't be smacking like he is now, and in basketball CEE DOG, this year AAMU will not own us patna.

MightyDog said:
My observation of games I attended this year the officiating was greatly improved. Management of the games were excellent. I saw officials helping out on calls and sometimes resulting in waving off flags that would have otherwise stood. Often times in the past an official would call a penalty far from the play, but this year I saw officials discussing what happened rather than allowing the call to be made without discussing the call. AAMU may have led the conference in penalties, however I like the overall managing of the games I saw.

MD,

I disagree. SWAC officiating has not improved. Some of those guys don't deserve to get paid.

Don't forget we were or a close second to being the most pentlatize team in the conference and I watch officials at work the game. Those I saw did a very good job. For example, in the MCC, if you recall the interference call on your DB. Your DB did a great job of pinning the arm of our receiver but I have seen too many time where officials didn't see these type of things. I don't know who coach SU DBs but they are trained very well on how to disguise this move. I am not saying cheating but a good official will see it.

No. It has not improved one damn bit. The one game that sticks out in my mind more than any other is the Grambling-Valley game. I have never seen so much b.s. officiating. They set the tone for the game all by themselves. And since PNeck brought it up, there were two or three white officials calling that game. That was the first time I ever saw that many call a game at Grambling.

I'm seeing more of the right calls being made in these games (the ones I've been to). Not as many phantom calls as previous years. There have still been some very BAD CALLS this season. Ex. SU Homecoming - SU's WR catches ball clearly out of bounds, and the ref rules it a catch. I've cot the "supposed" catch on video, and you could tell that SU may have been getting some of that home cooking.

Mr. SWAC said:
Ex. SU Homecoming - SU's WR catches ball clearly out of bounds, and the ref rules it a catch. I've cot the "supposed" catch on video, and you could tell that SU may have been getting some of that home cooking.

how CLEAR was that in real time? Is your tape a game broadcast where there was a camera on the sidelines? Or was it a tape from the stands?

It's a tape from the coaches review show. And the ref who signaled the catch made it from accross the field.

Mr. SWAC said:
It's a tape from the coaches review show. And the ref who signaled the catch made it from accross the field.

Doesn't matter where he was if he had a clear view... the field ain't THAT big.

...and if that tape was not from the field OR zoomed in it is not CLEAR as the ref's view.

jag4life said:

...and if that tape was not from the field OR zoomed in it is not CLEAR as the ref's view.
Come on Bruh! That's a dumb statement right there. You mean to tell me the sideline judge on the opposite side of the field has a better view of a catch made across the field from him? You do know that your field has a slight crown in it for drainage, right?

I could except a call made from the Ref on the same side as the catch or from one of the back referees. Not a referee that is alllllllllll the way across the otherside of the field. That ref can only make a call on wether the ball was caught. Not on whether he was inbounds or not. If so, he was out of position to begin with and who knows what he was missing on his side of the field out of position.....

You can do better than that....:shame:

jag4life said:

The only issue I had with that play is that the official on the spot who had the best view of the play gave in to the official who was out of position. It is good these kinds of calls are being reviewed by league officials.

Mike said:
Come on Bruh! That's a dumb statement right there. You mean to tell me the sideline judge on the opposite side of the field has a better view of a catch made across the field from him? You do know that your field has a slight crown in it for drainage, right?

I could except a call made from the Ref on the same side as the catch or from one of the back referees. Not a referee that is alllllllllll the way across the otherside of the field. That ref can only make a call on wether the ball was caught. Not on whether he was inbounds or not. If so, he was out of position to begin with and who knows what he was missing on his side of the field out of position.....

You can do better than that....:shame:

Dude... I said he COULD have had a better view than someone near, especially if that person is watching another aspect of the play. Plus, Mr. SWAC said the guy who made the call was on the other side of the field... he didn't say SIDE judge. There is a difference. There are 7 officials in a college game. Hell, the Back Judge could have been on the other hash and made the call...or the Umpire...or the Field Judge.

But I DO know for sure that a TAPE from the stands will NOT have a better view of the sideline than most of the Officials.

MD,
Did one official say it was incomplete and then get overruled? That's not what I gathered from Mr SWAC's comment.

Back