Off court, schools lacking color - Most players are black, but few male students ...

Jafus (Thinker)

Posted by OrangeTiger on the MEACFANS site.

Off court, schools lacking color

Most players are black, but few male students are

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/229845-7864-036.html

By Mark Alesia
mark.alesia@indystar.com

It happens all the time to Eddie Comeaux, a 31-year-old doctoral candidate at UCLA who's black: People ask him if he's on the basketball team.

When Comeaux, a former minor-league baseball player, brought that up while guest-lecturing in a sociology class, a black student said the same thing happens to him.

"And I'm 5-(foot)-8," Comeaux recalled the student saying.

To people such as Comeaux, who has studied how professors perceive college athletes, the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament -- which begins today at four sites, including Indianapolis -- illustrates a disparity on campuses around the country. While blacks have accounted for about 60 percent of the players in the tournament, they constituted just 5 percent of all male students at the same schools, according to an Indianapolis Star analysis of enrollment and ethnicity statistics from 1991 to 2003, the latest year available.

The percentage of blacks on campuses would be even less if basketball and football players were excluded. Blacks account for 13.6 percent of the U.S. population of males between ages 18 and 24, according to census figures.

Some academics say the disparity reflects a greater interest in stocking teams with blacks than in recruiting black nonathletes.

Others explain the problem by saying it's easier to recruit for the revenue-producing sports of football and basketball than for traditional students. While full scholarships are available for athletes, schools are limited legally by what they can do to use race as a factor in admissions.

"It tells me we can go far and wide to find athletes who play a specific position, but we can't go across the street," said Earl Smith, chairman of the sociology department at Wake Forest, where 45 percent of the black male students were athletes in 2002-03, the latest statistics available. "In east (Winston-Salem, N.C.), there are more black guys than in Kenya. The message is that you can't go to school here unless you play ball."

Some schools in the tournament reported extremely low numbers. Gonzaga had a total of 11 black male students who weren't basketball players, Vermont reported 17 and Montana 26.

Large schools from major conferences that are in the tournament also show disparities. Among male students who didn't play basketball, fewer than 3 percent were black at seven schools: UCLA, Kansas, Arizona, Texas, Wisconsin, Iowa and Washington.

"We're doing a great job recruiting athletically talented African-Americans," said C. Keith Harrison, director of Arizona State's Paul Robeson Center for Academic and Athletic Prowess, which researches issues affecting blacks as athletes and students. "If the graduation rate was 90 percent, I'd say, 'Great.' But it's not."

Black basketball players in Division I graduate at a rate of 38 percent, according to the latest NCAA report.

"If you can gas up a private jet to (recruit) a young man in Washington, D.C., why can't the administration and faculty find African-American students in their own state?" said Leonard Moore, a Louisiana State professor who teaches a course titled History of the African-American Athlete.

Chancellor's perspective

Kansas Chancellor Robert Hemenway, chairman of the NCAA Division I board of directors, acknowledged concerns similar to Moore's.

"To me, that's a very legitimate question," Hemenway said. "It's one that universities ought to think about. It speaks to how effective the recruitment process is for black students generally."

One out of every four black male students (60 of 227) at Kansas was an athlete in 2002-03. Hemenway said that this semester, his school has its highest enrollment ever of minority students, "but it's nowhere near where I'd like it to be."

Hemenway said he would like to have more money for scholarships for all students, but he also noted an important decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003 on affirmative action at the University of Michigan.

"The federal environment has changed so much on race-based scholarships," Hemenway said. "You can take race into consideration in giving out a scholarship, but the Supreme Court has said you can't give a scholarship just on race."

In Indiana, Notre Dame is a prime example of disparity. The school has a strong record for graduating athletes, but among male students, much of its diversity comes from students who also happen to fill the football stadium and basketball arena. In 2002-03, one out of every three black male students (44 of 119) was a football or basketball player.

At larger schools, the disparity shows in the percentage of blacks among all male students. In the Big Ten Conference, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa had fewer than 3 percent of blacks among male students, excluding football and basketball players.

Asked about that, IU athletic director Rick Greenspan noted the diversity of his coaches in the revenue sports. Basketball coach Mike Davis is black, as are two of his three assistants. New football coach Terry Hoeppner hired four blacks to be among his nine assistant coaches.

At IU, excluding basketball players, 3.2 percent of male students (427) were black in 2002-03. Excluding football players, as well, it was 2.9 percent (387). There were 13,443 total male students.

IU senior associate athletic director Chris Reynolds, who is black and a former basketball player at the school, said, "You can always enhance and improve, but when recruits come to our campus, I don't find (diversity) to be an issue any more than it would be at any other campus."

Hemenway said players have the power to make it an issue by speaking out.

"If a basketball team is 60 (percent) to 70 percent African-American -- particularly some star players -- it's a chance to articulate values and influence the student body," he said. "It gives black athletes a chance to be a spokesperson for some things they believe in. A program that's smart will listen to what the black athlete is saying."

Lower expectations

Unlike the pros, however, few college players are outspoken on any issue. Illinois guard Luther Head, whose team plays Fairleigh Dickinson today at the RCA Dome, said he didn't consider diversity in his college decision.

"My biggest issue was my mother and father being able to come to watch the games," said Head, who's from Chicago. "I didn't think about the minority thing. It would be great to see more minorities at the university. But my decision was all about my family."

Minnesota's leading scorer, Vincent Grier, whose team plays Friday in the tournament, said: "When I looked at schools, I didn't look at enrollment or color or ethnic background or anything. It was basically about what kind of communications program they had and what I could do to impact their (basketball) program."

Comeaux, the UCLA doctoral student, studies athletes of all races. The stereotype of dumb jocks cuts across racial lines, he said, but it's exacerbated by race and is manifested in the classroom by lower expectations for blacks.

"They're considered superior athletically and inferior intellectually," Comeaux said.

Said Moore, the Louisiana State professor: "It's easy for athletes to see themselves as only athletes if they don't see African-Americans studying chemistry and political science -- other students who look like them."

Harrison said the irony is that sports could be used by colleges to recruit more black nonathletes. He wants to see more promotion of great athletes who are great students to promote a sense that being smart is cool.

"We're not trying hard enough to educate African-Americans who aren't athletes," he said.

Re: Off court, schools lacking color - Most players are black, but few male students

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Off court, schools lacking color

Most players are black, but few male students are

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/229845-7864-036.html

By Mark Alesia
mark.alesia@indystar.com

It happens all the time to Eddie Comeaux, a 31-year-old doctoral candidate at UCLA who's black: People ask him if he's on the basketball team.

When Comeaux, a former minor-league baseball player, brought that up while guest-lecturing in a sociology class, a black student said the same thing happens to him.

"And I'm 5-(foot)-8," Comeaux recalled the student saying.

To people such as Comeaux, who has studied how professors perceive college athletes, the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament -- which begins today at four sites, including Indianapolis -- illustrates a disparity on campuses around the country. While blacks have accounted for about 60 percent of the players in the tournament, they constituted just 5 percent of all male students at the same schools, according to an Indianapolis Star analysis of enrollment and ethnicity statistics from 1991 to 2003, the latest year available.

The percentage of blacks on campuses would be even less if basketball and football players were excluded. Blacks account for 13.6 percent of the U.S. population of males between ages 18 and 24, according to census figures.

Some academics say the disparity reflects a greater interest in stocking teams with blacks than in recruiting black nonathletes.

Others explain the problem by saying it's easier to recruit for the revenue-producing sports of football and basketball than for traditional students. While full scholarships are available for athletes, schools are limited legally by what they can do to use race as a factor in admissions.

"It tells me we can go far and wide to find athletes who play a specific position, but we can't go across the street," said Earl Smith, chairman of the sociology department at Wake Forest, where 45 percent of the black male students were athletes in 2002-03, the latest statistics available. "In east (Winston-Salem, N.C.), there are more black guys than in Kenya. The message is that you can't go to school here unless you play ball."

Some schools in the tournament reported extremely low numbers. Gonzaga had a total of 11 black male students who weren't basketball players, Vermont reported 17 and Montana 26.

Large schools from major conferences that are in the tournament also show disparities. Among male students who didn't play basketball, fewer than 3 percent were black at seven schools: UCLA, Kansas, Arizona, Texas, Wisconsin, Iowa and Washington.

"We're doing a great job recruiting athletically talented African-Americans," said C. Keith Harrison, director of Arizona State's Paul Robeson Center for Academic and Athletic Prowess, which researches issues affecting blacks as athletes and students. "If the graduation rate was 90 percent, I'd say, 'Great.' But it's not."

Black basketball players in Division I graduate at a rate of 38 percent, according to the latest NCAA report.

"If you can gas up a private jet to (recruit) a young man in Washington, D.C., why can't the administration and faculty find African-American students in their own state?" said Leonard Moore, a Louisiana State professor who teaches a course titled History of the African-American Athlete.

Chancellor's perspective

Kansas Chancellor Robert Hemenway, chairman of the NCAA Division I board of directors, acknowledged concerns similar to Moore's.

"To me, that's a very legitimate question," Hemenway said. "It's one that universities ought to think about. It speaks to how effective the recruitment process is for black students generally."

One out of every four black male students (60 of 227) at Kansas was an athlete in 2002-03. Hemenway said that this semester, his school has its highest enrollment ever of minority students, "but it's nowhere near where I'd like it to be."

Hemenway said he would like to have more money for scholarships for all students, but he also noted an important decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2003 on affirmative action at the University of Michigan.

"The federal environment has changed so much on race-based scholarships," Hemenway said. "You can take race into consideration in giving out a scholarship, but the Supreme Court has said you can't give a scholarship just on race."

In Indiana, Notre Dame is a prime example of disparity. The school has a strong record for graduating athletes, but among male students, much of its diversity comes from students who also happen to fill the football stadium and basketball arena. In 2002-03, one out of every three black male students (44 of 119) was a football or basketball player.

At larger schools, the disparity shows in the percentage of blacks among all male students. In the Big Ten Conference, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Wisconsin and Iowa had fewer than 3 percent of blacks among male students, excluding football and basketball players.

Asked about that, IU athletic director Rick Greenspan noted the diversity of his coaches in the revenue sports. Basketball coach Mike Davis is black, as are two of his three assistants. New football coach Terry Hoeppner hired four blacks to be among his nine assistant coaches.

At IU, excluding basketball players, 3.2 percent of male students (427) were black in 2002-03. Excluding football players, as well, it was 2.9 percent (387). There were 13,443 total male students.

IU senior associate athletic director Chris Reynolds, who is black and a former basketball player at the school, said, "You can always enhance and improve, but when recruits come to our campus, I don't find (diversity) to be an issue any more than it would be at any other campus."

Hemenway said players have the power to make it an issue by speaking out.

"If a basketball team is 60 (percent) to 70 percent African-American -- particularly some star players -- it's a chance to articulate values and influence the student body," he said. "It gives black athletes a chance to be a spokesperson for some things they believe in. A program that's smart will listen to what the black athlete is saying."

Lower expectations

Unlike the pros, however, few college players are outspoken on any issue. Illinois guard Luther Head, whose team plays Fairleigh Dickinson today at the RCA Dome, said he didn't consider diversity in his college decision.

"My biggest issue was my mother and father being able to come to watch the games," said Head, who's from Chicago. "I didn't think about the minority thing. It would be great to see more minorities at the university. But my decision was all about my family."

Minnesota's leading scorer, Vincent Grier, whose team plays Friday in the tournament, said: "When I looked at schools, I didn't look at enrollment or color or ethnic background or anything. It was basically about what kind of communications program they had and what I could do to impact their (basketball) program."

Comeaux, the UCLA doctoral student, studies athletes of all races. The stereotype of dumb jocks cuts across racial lines, he said, but it's exacerbated by race and is manifested in the classroom by lower expectations for blacks.

"They're considered superior athletically and inferior intellectually," Comeaux said.

Said Moore, the Louisiana State professor: "It's easy for athletes to see themselves as only athletes if they don't see African-Americans studying chemistry and political science -- other students who look like them."

Harrison said the irony is that sports could be used by colleges to recruit more black nonathletes. He wants to see more promotion of great athletes who are great students to promote a sense that being smart is cool.

"We're not trying hard enough to educate African-Americans who aren't athletes," he said.

But we fail to see this. They only want us for what we are needed for. And they are noteducating many of the ones that they do have. But this may not be a bad thing. We already losing to many blacks to other schools. Good article.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Off court, schools lacking color - Most players are black, but few male students

Interesting!

Very informative..most of the schools listed are flagship of thier state; hence the requirements are more stringent. This factors into the low Black matriculation. The UCLA number of less than 3% is surprising (compared to the other schools). I think the UC schools ended affirmative action like at Michigan.

GSUperTiger said:
Very informative..most of the schools listed are flagship of thier state; hence the requirements are more stringent. This factors into the low Black matriculation. The UCLA number of less than 3% is surprising (compared to the other schools). I think the UC schools ended affirmative action like at Michigan.

I think Prop 209 ended affirmative action programs throughout California, not just in the UC system. But the University of Michigan didn't end its affirmative action programs, they were changed and tweaked to fit in line with the court's rulings.

Good article, but not surprizing at all. Here at Michigan, the gap between female and male black students is 20%, 60% female to 40% male. The next closest disparity is the Latino students at 8%. But the issue goes beyond the schools' efforts, there is an epidemic when it comes to young black males and education that must be addressed.

JaguarNation99 said:
But the issue goes beyond the schools' efforts, there is an epidemic when it comes to young black males and education that must be addressed.
Yup, when I read the article -- the message is we do not go to school. It seems very evident that kids (Black) are far worse from the days I was in middle and high schools. There is not any ambition, zeal, nothing...and the girls are the worst. This epidemic is like small pox back in the day. It was cured, but we have to dig deep to fight this one.

GSUpe, it's not surprising about UCLA, look where it's located. Right at the doorsteps of Beverly Hills, compared to USC, which is in South Central.

Outside of lack of recruiting, I think location plays a big part as well. How many blacks actually live in Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, and Washington. You'd be hard pressed to find many blacks trying to go to Bloomington, Lawrence, Iowa City, West Lafayette, Madison, State College (which is actually a valley in the mountains), if they're not from there.

NICE

D-NICE said:
GSUpe, it's not surprising about UCLA, look where it's located. Right at the doorsteps of Beverly Hills, compared to USC, which is in South Central.

Outside of lack of recruiting, I think location plays a big part as well. How many blacks actually live in Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, and Washington. You'd be hard pressed to find many blacks trying to go to Bloomington, Lawrence, Iowa City, West Lafayette, Madison, State College (which is actually a valley in the mountains), if they're not from there.

NICE
Yeah, but people fail to realize that SC is a private school, and UCLA is public. SC was not mentioned as having 3% or less (although it could be). SC should be tougher to get into, and is consistently ranked among the nation's best. Location is the reason I am surprised of the low number at UCLA. There is a certain poster on here that is a bigger Son of Westwood than a Son of Grambling. He would lead you to think UCLA is the crown jewel for Black America in Southern Cal. ;)

I think the admittance requirements for student athletes versus traditional students is an issue in and of itself, especially once you exam the opportunity of our African American students on whether the can gain admittance into such an institution.

It is frustrating when I view the only underlying reason that many of the African American students are being admitted into an institution is because of their athletic prowess other wise the would not gain admittance into the same institution.

It is further annoying once one looks closer and the reality hits when we consider the absorb numbers of African American student athletes that are not graduating from these very same institution.

The facts remains that these students athletes that would not be admitted to the institution other than the fact that they are a student athletes provides some evidence that they may not have the educational background necessary to survive and flourish in such an environment.

If this is not the case, then how do you explain the disproportionate amount of numbers between student athletes and traditional students? This couple with the fact that there is an enormous amount of capital in play with this infrastructure further bothers me and brings me to these questions.

Is there an innate probability that the system in its present form at such an institution is not set up for such a student athlete to succeed? And is there an exploitation taken place? And if this is the case, then how can an institution seriously state that they are interested in the advancement of all students in all aspects of such an institution ability to be the inherently the states flagship institution?

Just Curious!!

In general, Black males who are non athletes are overlooked by PWCs and HBCUs are overlooked by great Black male athletes.

$Bill said:
In general, Black males who are non athletes are overlooked by PWCs and HBCUs are overlooked by great Black male athletes.

Well said, $Bill.

Back