NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL....

Donald K. Willi

Is the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame the team to hate and root against this fall?If not,then what team will you be rooting against this fall? Many folks will root against Penn State so that Joe Pa will get the boot.Whose on your list?
Alabama is another one that I root against for obvious reasons.

and for what reasons do you root against UofA? Is it because of Wallace's stand at the school house door? That was long ago. It could have happened at any PWC in the South.

GoJackets2.gif

I used to be under the "illusion" that UA was this place full of racist rednecks and the sorts. Then I took a trip to Auburn to visit my friend from high school that went to Auburn one weekend. Let's just say I have seen more "stuff" from Auburn than Alabama, and as for my friend....... She transferred for obvious reasons other than acedemic. I will never forget that weekend. :(

Butch Wms. said:
Is the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame the team to hate and root against this fall?If not,then what team will you be rooting against this fall? Many folks will root against Penn State so that Joe Pa will get the boot.Whose on your list?
Alabama is another one that I root against for obvious reasons.
I don't know about Joe getting the boot. Unlike Grambling the Penn State administration seems intent on letting Joe go out on his own terms. After all he has done for the program and the millions he has personally contributed to the university Joe Pa deserves that. Without Paterno Penn State would probally been on the same level as Rutgers or Syracuse; a big school on the east coast who would be satisfied with a 7-4 or 8-3 record every year. The man has done too much to leave he program feeling bitter towards the university.

GSUperTiger said:

I will add the red and black too. I have always done that since I was 11-a very long time ago. I think I will add the Sooners to the list. Alabama had been on that list (I have not thought about them during their probation years.), and later I added Miami.

I have heard about Auburn and the "climate" there.

enswaclopedia said:
Ga. Southern gets more respect outside the Metro Atlanta area than Tech. Auburn, Tennessee, Clemson, and FSU get better recruits from the state of Georgia than Tech.

That is hogwash as Ga Tech remains the most successful athletic program in the state of Georgia (despite tougher academic requirements). While Tech needs to do a better job recruiting Georgia, measures to recruit other states offset any deficiencies in getting Ga talent. For instance Tech had All ACC selections like Nat Dorsey, Kerry Watkins, Greg Gathers, Eric Henderson -- all from Louisiana -- within the last three years. FL is the target state now.

BTW, Calvin Johnson was the star recruit out of Sandy Springs last year. He signed with Tech and became an All-ACC 1st team selection and ACC Rookie of the year (as a true freshman).

GSUperTiger said:
That is hogwash as Ga Tech remains the most successful athletic program in the state of Georgia (despite tougher academic requirements). While Tech needs to do a better job recruiting Georgia, measures to recruit other states offset any deficiencies in getting Ga talent. For instance Tech had All ACC selections like Nat Dorsey, Kerry Watkins, Greg Gathers, Eric Henderson -- all from Louisiana -- within the last three years. FL is the target state now.

BTW, Calvin Johnson was the star recruit out of Sandy Springs last year. He signed with Tech and became an All-ACC 1st team selection and ACC Rookie of the year (as a true freshman).
In Georgia "FOOTBALL IS ALL THAT MATTERS." It's always been that way and will always be that way. Johnson is one of the few in-state recruits that Tech beat Georgia for, but if he had gone to UGa he wouldn't have gotten enough playing time to make the All-SEC team. Tech does a great job in picking up talent that the big schools in others states can't sign.

enswaclopedia,

Since your parents are Golden Rams,I can see how you ended up rooting against the Wildcats.BTW,my mom was a Golden Ram and my dad graduated from Florida Memorial,whatever their mascot is.Just out of curiosity,how did you miss not becoming a Golden Ram? :ebrow: :ebrow: :ebrow:

I really don't like LSU, Tennessee, and Alabama

I hope Ty Willingham does well at Washington.

I think Orgeron gonna have Ole Miss right in about 2to 3 more years, that cat can RECRUIT!

Butch Wms. said:
enswaclopedia,

Since your parents are Golden Rams,I can see how you ended up rooting against the Wildcats.BTW,my mom was a Golden Ram and my dad graduated from Florida Memorial,whatever their mascot is.Just out of curiosity,how did you miss not becoming a Golden Ram? :ebrow: :ebrow: :ebrow:
Albany was too close to Americus.

enswaclopedia said:
In Georgia "FOOTBALL IS ALL THAT MATTERS." It's always been that way and will always be that way. Johnson is one of the few in-state recruits that Tech beat Georgia for, but if he had gone to UGa he wouldn't have gotten enough playing time to make the All-SEC team. Tech does a great job in picking up talent that the big schools in others states can't sign.

Obviously, not in Athens....one SEC championship since Hershel (22 years), and zero national championships does not equate to a program that matters. Tech has two ACC titles and a national championship in the last 15 years. In terms of history and tradition, it does not get any bigger than Tech (unless you throw in the Bamas and Gramblings of the world)!

BTW, UGA was never really in the picture with Johnson.

I disagree...........UGA is the "top dog" in the state of Georgia relating to football. Only a Tech alum would think otherwise. :lol:

Now if you are talking black engineers then it is GT.

GSUperTiger said:
Obviously, not in Athens....one SEC championship since Hershel (22 years), and zero national championships does not equate to a program that matters. Tech has two ACC titles and a national championship in the last 15 years. In terms of history and tradition, it does not get any bigger than Tech (unless you throw in the Bamas and Gramblings of the world)!

BTW, UGA was never really in the picture with Johnson.
How can you claim a national championship when you beat a conference runner-up in the CITRUS BOWL. That's about the same as LSU's claim to last years championship. People may refer to you as the champion but everyone knows there is someone out there that's head and shoulders better than you. You're talking about championships won before FSU joined the conference. Has Tech beaten FSU since they joined the conference. NO! Why did FSU join the ACC instead of the SEC? Because Bobby Bowden knew what he would ALWAYS have a 10 win season in the ACC. Johnson is one of the best recievers in the country but he will never play in a bowl game on New Years Day. There is a good reason Tech's in the ACC. They can't compete in a football conference.

How can you claim a national championship when you beat a conference runner-up in the CITRUS BOWL?<O:p

Simple. You finish as the nation's only unbeaten team in major college football. Anytime a team beats a Tom Osborne coached Husker team by 24 points (as the Ramblin Wreck did) speaks volumes of the skill level of the team (btw, this margin of victory is almost double the amount Colorado beat Nebraska -- only common opponent between the co-national champions).<O:p</O:p

That's about the same as LSU's claim to last years championship. People may refer to you as the champion but everyone knows there is someone out there that's head and shoulders better than you. <O:p</O:p

Until the end of time, America will revere Ga Tech as the 1990 national champion, just like SC whenl it shared with LSU.</O:p

You're talking about championships won before FSU joined the conference. Has Tech beaten FSU since they joined the conference. NO! <O:p</O:p

Georgia Tech was crowned co-champions with FSU in 1998.

Why did FSU join the ACC instead of the SEC?<O:p

Are you serious? The ACC is the best collection of athletic and academic prestige in the country. BTW, the ACC is the nation's winningest bowl conference.

There is a good reason Tech's in the ACC. They can't compete in a football conference.

Ga Tech was a charter member of the SEC; won the SEC five times and a national championship during its 31 years in the SEC. During the same time, UGA won 4 titles and one national championship. When you look deeper in the history, The Georgia Institute of Technology has the more storied program. Even college football's most coveted award is named after a Tech coach (there is a statue of John Heisman outside Boddy Dodd stadium). UGA is the bigger school (in a proud football conference), therefore gets all the pub. This ends with the new ACC.<O:p</O:p

<O:p

OK, the folks from Athens had the edge on wins especially during the '70s and '90s. But I think that the folks from North Avenue, GT, have the edge on national titles.

Now, I will give Mark Richt and Jim Donnan credit. They are going after the best players in addition to filling out their needs. Dooley only recruited his needs. He let a lot of excellent football players leave the state. Hence, he had a lot of good teams but not a lot of great teams. That is his fault and no one else's

GSUperTiger said:
How can you claim a national championship when you beat a conference runner-up in the CITRUS BOWL?<O:p

Simple. You finish as the nation's only unbeaten team in major college football. Anytime a team beats a Tom Osborne coached Husker team by 24 points (as the Ramblin Wreck did) speaks volumes of the skill level of the team (btw, this margin of victory is almost double the amount Colorado beat Nebraska -- only common opponent between the co-national champions).<O:p</O:p

That's about the same as LSU's claim to last years championship. People may refer to you as the champion but everyone knows there is someone out there that's head and shoulders better than you. <O:p</O:p

Until the end of time, America will revere Ga Tech as the 1990 national champion, just like SC whenl it shared with LSU.</O:p

You're talking about championships won before FSU joined the conference. Has Tech beaten FSU since they joined the conference. NO! <O:p</O:p

Georgia Tech was crowned co-champions with FSU in 1998.

Why did FSU join the ACC instead of the SEC?<O:p

Are you serious? The ACC is the best collection of athletic and academic prestige in the country. BTW, the ACC is the nation's winningest bowl conference.

There is a good reason Tech's in the ACC. They can't compete in a football conference.

Ga Tech was a charter member of the SEC; won the SEC five times and a national championship during its 31 years in the SEC. During the same time, UGA won 4 titles and one national championship. When you look deeper in the history, The Georgia Institute of Technology has the more storied program. Even college football's most coveted award is named after a Tech coach (there is a statue of John Heisman outside Boddy Dodd stadium). UGA is the bigger school (in a proud football conference), therefore gets all the pub. This ends with the new ACC.<O:p</O:p

All of this illustrious history is really ancient history which translates to before integration. Hell the Ivy League and Service Academys were powerhouses back then. Humanitarium Bowl:lol:; The SEC wouldn't dream of sending Vanderbuilt of the Mississippi schools to Boise Idaho for Christmas to play Tulsa. When your 2nd and 3rd place team are matched up against another conference's 5th 6th and 7th place team you should have a winning bowl record. Since integration Tech has struggled to stay consistantly above .500. Before 1994 Tom Osborne was better known as the Nebraska coach who could never win both of his last 2 games of the season.(Oklahoma and the bowl game) The 1990 ACC champion did not even garner enough respect to get invited to one of the 5 major bowl games. (Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, or Fiesta)Maybe they did share the conference title with FSU in 98 but the fact remains they lost to FSU and HAVE NOT BEEN TO A MAJOR BOWL IN YOUR LIFETIME. If it were not for the addition of Miami, FSU, and Va Tech The ACC would be in the same boat as Big East in trying to justify that they belong in the BCS.

EB: The worst thing that happened to Georgia in the 80's was when Dooley didn't take the Auburn job after the 1980 season. Dooley was too consevative with the offense and he let way too much talent get away; but he still owned Tech.

I can only root for AAMU

Other teams I watch as a sports fan.

When I attend the Bayou Classic, I don't root, I watch.

Back