New state law leaves Norfolk State with big hole in athletic budget

JAG89

THE NEW AMERICA'S TEAM
The State of Virginia law is really hurting NSU's athletic budget. It seems like due to Virginia's Bill HB1897 that limits the amount of student fees for athletic programs, NSU's athletic budget will be $3 million dollars short this year. I'm sure the State of North Carolina will try something similar. I knew when USAToday started showing athletic budgets being 80% to 85% state funded that HBCUs were going to get looked at first.

14184545_1404201142929401_1236793796254937193_n.jpg

http://www.hbcugameday.com/2016/08/new-law-leaves-norfolk-state-with-big-hole-in-budget.html

Last edited:
When I saw it, I knew the MEAC schools and JMU were in trouble. Some MEAC schools are charging $800-$1,000 per student to pay for athletic budgets.

I actually don't mind those student fees. The money has to come from somewhere and once they graduate, 90% of them won't financially support their athletic programs anyway.

Get it while you can

While this isn't good news for the NSU athletic program, I not too keen with schools potentially adding more debt to its students.

I hope all FCS HBCUs are paying attention to this, especially MEAC schools. State politicians will write a bill so fast, it would make your head spin.

I don't think you can really blame the state for saying something when a school is propping up it's athletics with 75%+ student fees. To be real anything over 60% is probably too much and that's being generous.

Students at Virginia are paying less in student fees than students at NSU. I know Virginia being in a P5 conference back with TV money and multiple revenue streams helps offset some costs. But, NSU students shouldn't be forced to pay more for an experience they might not to participate in.

To add to the student experience, the money is worth it...

Man stop lol. The majority of students don't even go to games. Schools doing this has nothing to do with the student experience, it's to fund a non profitable athletic department.

Students at Virginia are paying less in student fees than students at NSU. I know Virginia being in a P5 conference back with TV money and multiple revenue streams helps offset some costs. But, NSU students shouldn't be forced to pay more for an experience they might not to participate in.

There's quite of few P5 conference schools where the students pay absolutely nothing in fees for athletics, such as LSU.

I'm cool with student fees as long as they are minimal. They should be used as a supplement, and not as the backbone of your budget. I have experience in running athletic departments (high school), so I know how difficult it can be to generate enough revenue to have everything that you want and need. But, we can't be lazy and have the students pick up the bulk of the tab.

Back