New NCAA Rules For Next Season

THAMES

Here are some new rules that the NCAA approved for next season.

1. NCAA Div. 1A Football . Teams will be allowed 1 instant replay video challenge per game.

2. NCAA Football. It will be left up to the two schools as to how long half time will be extended. ( Note, the SWAC has been doing this for years with out throwing penalty flags)

3. NCAA Basketball. A player will no longer be able to call automtic time-out while falling out of bounds or falling back-court.

Link ...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NCAA_RULES?SITE=AZPHG&SECTION=SPORTS

Also:

Rule 1-4-5-s, Eye Shields. In the illegal equipment rules, only eye shields that
are completely clear will be allowed. Therefore, waivers will no longer be given
for tinted eye shields, regardless of circumstance.
In reports from the NCAA?s Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical
Aspects of Sport and the National Athletic Trainers Association, both groups
supported eliminating this allowance. Both groups noted that there are
alternatives to the helmet shields if an eye condition warrants protection (contact
lenses, sport goggles, etc.). Coaches in the NCAA rules survey also
overwhelmingly supported the change.
Rule 2-15-4-c, Kicking Tee. This rule was altered to shorten the kicking tee from
two inches to one inch.
It will read: ?A tee is a device that elevates the ball for kicking purposes. It may
not elevate the ball?s lowest point more than one inch above the ground (A.R .2-
15-4-1).?

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/pl....pdf?ObjectID=38307&ViewMode=0&PreviewState=0

2006 Rule Changes

* 1. Clear eye shields - Tinted are no longer allowed for any reason.
* 2. Kicking tee lowered - it will now be 1 inch.
* 3. Intermission 15 minutes - halftime will now be 15 minutes unless both teams agree to make it longer. 15 minutes is the minimum amount of time for halftime.
* 4. Clock starts on the free kick - the clock will start when toe meets leather like it was a few years ago. This will not change in the last 2 minutes like before.
* 5. Clock starts on the ready when Team B awarded a first down - see the bottom of this for more information.
* 6. Penalty enforcement for offensive fouls on punts - Team B may elect to have a Team A penalty (live ball foul at the snap) enforced at the dead-ball spot. This is for punts only...not field goals. This will be very similar to the option of tacking the penalty on to free kicks.
* 7. Instant replay will now be Rule 12.

2006 Editorial changes

* 1. Crowd noise rule eliminated - this rule will no longer be found in the rule book.
* 2. Intentional grounding exception - If at any time the passer is or was outside the frame of the tackle, he may legally throw the ball away.
* 3. Fouls on the try cannot be carried over to an extra period - There is no longer an option to carry over any fouls to an extra period.

More information on the timing rule above (number 5)

As Mr. Redding's terminology goes, Team B being awarded a first down will "trump" any other reason for stopping the clock. The only exception to this is if B is awarded a first down on the last play of the quarter. The next quarter will start on the snap. Some examples of this will include:

* Team B intercepts a pass and is awarded a first down. On the next play, the clock will start on the ready.
* Team A doesn't get a first down on 4th down. A TV timeout is used. On the next play, the clock will start on the ready.
* Team B gains possession of the ball and is awarded a first down. Team B then calls a timeout. On the next play, the clock will start on the ready.
* Team A doesn't gain a first down on 4th down, but team B is offsides at the snap. We stopped the clock for the penalty and to award Team B a first down. On the next play, the clock will start on the ready. In the past, we would have started the clock on the snap on this play because the clock was stopped to award Team B a first down.

The main thing to remember here is, if Team B is awarded a first down, the next play will start on the ready no matter what else happened (unless the next play if the first play of a new quarter).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DaGSUMan said:
2006 Editorial changes
* 1. Crowd noise rule eliminated - this rule will no longer be found in the rule book.

Does the crowd also consist of the band? Me personally I believe the band should be allowed to play as loud as possible.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
I just don't see the difference in loud fans and loud bands.
Difference is, the noise is coming from the people with fans, as opposed to the noise coming from some instrument with bands (artificial noisemakers). If your fans can yell that loud, fine.

If you allow bands to blast whenever, what's to stop a school from putting in the loudest Bose system and blasting noise while the opponent has the ball?

Robber said:
If you allow bands to blast whenever, what's to stop a school from putting in the loudest Bose system and blasting noise while the opponent has the ball?

You have a point....lol...that's the difference in home field advantage....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think they should let the bands play, I mean in the SWAC most time the opponents band is there too so they have the same opportunity.LOL And sometimes when the band is taken out the game can be so boring.

The Band rule really only affects smaller schools with smaller stadiums. At many larger programs you can't hear the band playing across the field. I know this is definatly true in the ACC @ FSU, UVA, Tech, Clemson. SEC stadiums like Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU for sure. And these are just the stadiums I have been to.

Suge said:
The Band rule really only affects smaller schools with smaller stadiums. At many larger programs you can't hear the band playing across the field. I know this is definatly true in the ACC @ FSU, UVA, Tech, Clemson. SEC stadiums like Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU for sure. And these are just the stadiums I have been to.

SUGE you should have said anything. Some of these folks think all bands blow their freaking lungs out. SEC stadiums like ARKANSAS...TENNESSEE...THE SWAMP are the ones I have been to and I must tell you. An all BRASS band blowing full wind would be drowned out by the crowd.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
SUGE you should have said anything. Some of these folks think all bands blow their freaking lungs out. SEC stadiums like ARKANSAS...TENNESSEE...THE SWAMP are the ones I have been to and I must tell you. An all BRASS band blowing full wind would be drowned out by the crowd.

...that's why I said MOST schools are affected by this. The big 6 conferences plus ND are loud enough to drown out the bands.

But a 10-20K crowd will not drwon out a good sized band...especially an HBCU band.

Crowds at SEC, Big 10, Big XII, ACC and Pac 10 games go to WATCH the game, and make noise for their teams. That noise very often drowns out the bands, just as Suge said at many of these large, capacity filled stadiums.

Crowds at HBCU games aren't going to make enough noise to drown out a band, because they are too busy trying to hear the band.

That's the difference.

Back