NBA Playoffs......Are You Watching?

D-NICE

Retired Milkman
Normally for me the NBA Playoffs are a joy to watch because rarely are there any upsets, with the best out of 7 format, it's hard for the best team to lose, but you do see some good games, and contested series.

This year though, there have only been a few competitive series, and even though the Mavs/Rockets & Celtics/Pacers series went 7 games, and the Bulls/Wizards went 6. In saying that though a good majority of them were blowouts, or blowouts throughout with teams making late runs to make them interesting, but they were sloppily played to say the least.

Are the have's that far in front of the have nots, with all of the blowouts? In the first round out of the 8 series 2 were sweeps, 3 were done in 5 games, has basketball fallen that far? Now that the 2nd round has started, with the exception of the Mavs/Suns, all of the series look like they'll be sweeps, or over in 5 games at the most, are you guys watching?

NICE

I've been tuning in for selective teams (Dallas, Miami, Detroit, Indy, San Antonio) but watching only portions of each. You know my situation with my boys, D-Nice (track and baseball, now) - add a lot of other things to that and it sums up to just not having the time to watch all the way through.

Regards.

Are the have's that far in front of the have nots

Yes they are, especially in the East. Detroit and Miami are wayyy better than everybody else in the east, so you're not going to see very competitive semifinal series' in the east.

In the West Phoenix and San Antonio are just as dominant, though Dallas is a little closer to the top 2 than the teams in the east are to Detroit and Miami.

The intensity will definitely pick up when the conference finals start. All of the fake teams will have been cleared out by then and the real playoffs will start.

The NBA really needs to do away with the best of 7 series in the first round. The playoffs are entirely toooooo long and there are too many mediocre teams involved.

btw, for some reason or another, the NBA just aint been the same since 1998.
:D

Shelt a 'Skegee Grad said:
In the West Phoenix and San Antonio are just as dominant, though Dallas is a little closer to the top 2 than the teams in the east are to Detroit and Miami.

Did you know that if Dallas (which they won't) comes out of the West, they would have home court advantage for the finals. Their record is better than any East playoff team.

mighty hornet said:
The NBA really needs to do away with the best of 7 series in the first round. The playoffs are entirely toooooo long and there are too many mediocre teams involved.

btw, for some reason or another, the NBA just aint been the same since 1998.
:D

Co Sign. This is one thing me and MH agree on 100%.

Those 1st round games were extended for 2 reasons. Money/TV and to prevent what happened to Seattle, when Mutombo and Denver beat them in a short series. Stern doesn't want to see his top teams eliminated. So in theory normally the best team wins out in a 7 game format. I say roll the dice and go back to either 2 out of 3 in the first round or at least the best of 5.

mighty hornet said:

Amen to that!!

I can't remember when there have been this many "also rans" in one post season.

BTW, I thought the Spurs/Sonics would be a little more competetive than it has been....boooooy, was I wrong! The Sonics are on the verge of being swept out like yesterday's soot, and the Spurs are looking unstoppable right now. Whoever comes out of the east (Miami or Detroit) are gonna have their hands full, and I'm not so sure they will be able to handle San Antonio in a seven game series.

For my money, they (Spurs) are the most COMPLETE team in the league right now.

One other thing:

I think the NBA is loving this best of seven series THIS YEAR in particular, because the teams in the major media markets (NY, LA, CHI) are either at home (in the case of LA and NY,) or being eliminated in the early rounds, (CHI(3) and PHL(5))so they want to stretch out the season as long as possible, hoping to pick up viewers as it goes.

I think the issue of the smaller markets dominating the semis and finals is gonna become the "norm" over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Like someone said, the NBA really doesn't want to see a San Antonio-Detroit finals. With San Antonio, they're not going to be able to avoid it. In their minds a San Antonio - Miami finals is more attractive. Miami is considered a more "glamourus" market.

Yeah I'm watching thaose b@atch azz wizards gettin' banged by Miami. Marks celebrating because they BARELY got of the first round. They think that it was an accomplishment that they beat Da Bulls, a team that played without two starters (Curry and Deng). If they were really that smoove, they would have swept the series.

Back