MVSU 2023

atl hornet

Word on the street is MVSU will be marching around 200 kids this season..can anyone confirm this? We saw what Bonds did at Dega…can he replicate his magic at Valley?

240 marched in Houston

325 is the official count

Dr. Bonds has done it again. He was the choice most alums wanted so we ended up with him in a scenic route type of way lol

(he apparently was named the BD in December so basically him and Harvey flip flopped roles but it didnt really became known until recently)

240 marched in Houston

325 is the official count

Dr. Bonds has done it again. He was the choice most alums wanted so we ended up with him in a scenic route type of way lol

(he apparently was named the BD in December so basically him and Harvey flip flopped roles but it didnt really became known until recently)
So what is Harvey's role now?

Looks like the MGMM showed out during the Chicago Classic and brought home a trophy in the process. Good to see people such as Famous Amos be heavily involved with the direction of the band as well. Back when I went to Valley in 2008 he was the drum major and then he gained a lot of fame from the "I Bet You Won't" challenge. You have to give him credit for helping with the recruitment as well.

This is why
it's hard to take this band stuff seriously because of the inherent biases built in against Valley
We've been making noise for 2 weeks in a row and not even a mention in the article despite possibly having the biggest HBCU band

This is why it's hard to take this band stuff seriously because of the inherent biases built in against Valley
We've been making noise for 2 weeks in a row and not even a mention in the article despite possibly having the biggest HBCU band
I'll be the first to admit bias on every band site and video is geared towards two schools and the claims of "we invented that" has been a detriment to "bandheadism".
Now specifically for Valley, yall are huge but very young in sound and field performances. I hope it will come and things will be even more competitive. Elevate those musicians. Yall are in a blues hotbed and that part of the country has produced some amazing artists so Valley can and should definitely elevate and get the notoriety for it.
At the NBOTB the glaring issues were phrasing, tone quality, drilling issues (especially spacing) need for dynamics and the arrangements sounding purely loud. It was a statement for sure though and people were entertained. What they did have was enthusiasm, captivating volume and range and they weren't this small unknown. People enjoyed them and were paying attention. That says alot in Houston. Keep striving.

Last edited:

All I knew was Harvey was hired last year and a few weeks ago I see Bonds as the new director. What happened. How could they let someone go less than a year. Even though bonds was my choice right b4 they hired Harvey anyway. What happened tho?

All I knew was Harvey was hired last year and a few weeks ago I see Bonds as the new director. What happened. How could they let someone go less than a year. Even though bonds was my choice right b4 they hired Harvey anyway. What happened tho?

All I know is that Harvey got the job. Bonds resigned from Talladega and became an assistant BD under Harvey. Apparently he was officially named BD in December but it wasn't officially known until July.

As stated earlier in the thread, Harvey was still at Valley in April and leading the band at the Spring game

Fast forward to August... 350 lol

Bonds was who most band alums wanted anyway and I guess they were correct in their judgment

Doesn't hurt to have Famous Amos who has already been back several times to support

LOVE to hear MVSU play 'Devil's Gun' that was big DISCO hit back in the day.

FYI: my nephew is in the band; 2024 will be his 2nd year marching [he started at LeMoyne-Owen College in Memphis].

😘Something about the way those Mississippi Gals swang strut dance BUCK n stuff.... Always eye-catching.🧐😊

SWAC is HBCU-BAND CENTRAL.....THEE PINNACLE OF BLACK COLLEGE MARCHING BANDS!!!

🥰

Back