Mom Blames JSU Football Team for Son's Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

jag4life

I hope this isn't true...

Jackson- Sonja Henderson says her youngest son told her about Nolan Henderson's death.

Henderson says her and her family drove to JSU to get answers to her son's death. She talked with students who were at the party. She says students told her that her son bumped into a football player. Henderson apologized to the football player, but students say the football player was looking for a fight and started to beat Henderson up. Other players joined in and at one point, someone pulled out a gun and shot him

http://www2.wjtv.com/news/2012/mar/26/mom-blames-jsu-football-team-sons-death-ar-3486370/

All over the newscast yesterday telling everything JSU HAS NOT DONE. Said they still have not told her anything. :smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Won't be surprised if its true and I've seen it to many time where football players were looking for a fight just because but this time it seems it was taken to far.

Henderson says her and her family drove to JSU to get answers to her son's death. She talked with students who were at the party. She says students told her that her son bumped into a football player. Henderson apologized to the football player, but students say the football player was looking for a fight and started to beat Henderson up. Other players joined in and at one point, someone pulled out a gun and shot him
:smh::smh::smh:

A damn shame. If the story is true as written, this is beyond stupid. And senseless. I hope they lock 'em all up.

I can tell you from recent FAMU experience, JSU administration needs to be proactive in getting in front of this story. Although nothing will heal the grief the family is feeling, you had better not make them feel like JSU is an enemy or looking out for the interests of JSU, the perp or the football team before that of the family.

I can tell you from recent FAMU experience, JSU administration needs to be proactive in getting in front of this story. Although nothing will heal the grief the family is feeling, you had better not make them feel like JSU is an enemy or looking out for the interests of JSU, the perp or the football team before that of the family.

Cliff, unfortunately for our sister institutions, administrators do not think about getting in front of the story ... until they're waaaaay behind the story. Being proactive isn't exactly our strongest point.

Cliff, unfortunately for our sister institutions, administrators do not think about getting in front of the story ... until they're waaaaay behind the story. Being proactive isn't exactly our strongest point.

I know, but I would hope our sister institution can learn from some of our mistakes. We can't control our students and everything they do, but we can control our standards (proaction) and how we handle issues when they arise (reaction).

I pray that JSU officials were not that stupid to let something like this be swept under the rug.... :(

Sad situation... Prayers to the family and friends involved.

I think about my 2 children... Thats why I pray for and with my kids daily to ensure God protects them when Im not there to protect them myself... :cry:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I pray that JSU officials were not that stupid to let something like this be swept under the rug.... :(

Sad situation... Prayers to the family and friends involved.

I think about my 2 children... Thats why I pray for and with my kids daily to ensure God protects them when Im not there to protect them myself... :cry:

I find it odd that this seems to have happened out in the open and no one has been arrested.

Cliff, thanks for the warning but our situation is totally different from yours. The FAMU incident was FAMU related (possible initiation into a FAMU organization). While this young man was a JSU student, this is not JSU-related. This did not happen on campus and even if football players were involved, I don't see how you can tie it to the university. That's like saying if some members of the JSU football team robbed and killed a store clerk, JSU could be responsible. I just don't see the connection unless this has something to do with football. If this happened on campus, you might have a point.

what would be crazy is if the witnesses are not telling police who killed this young man.
:smh:

I hope this isn't or won't be the case. Folks have got to learn to start standing up and doing what's right rather what's easy. If the football players are involved, and if they won't speak up, hopefully the JSU school officials will.

School officials say football players do live at the apartment complex where the party was held and Henderson was killed. However, none of them are under investigation. School officials say the football team did meet, but it was only because so many of them live in the area. School officials would not elaborate what the meeting was about.

I hope this mother can get some answers. This is just so sad.

I find it odd that this seems to have happened out in the open and no one has been arrested.

Cliff, thanks for the warning but our situation is totally different from yours. The FAMU incident was FAMU related (possible initiation into a FAMU organization). While this young man was a JSU student, this is not JSU-related. This did not happen on campus and even if football players were involved, I don't see how you can tie it to the university. That's like saying if some members of the JSU football team robbed and killed a store clerk, JSU could be responsible. I just don't see the connection unless this has something to do with football. If this happened on campus, you might have a point.

That was not a FAMU organization nor did it happen on school groups during a sanctioned school activity, but it happened after hours during a school sponsored trip among students in the band. I did not say it was the same, but if you dont believe that JSU will be (who are we kidding, it already is) dragged all through this, you are not being honest with yourself or realistic. I was not trying to bring JSU down, but hoping that the JSU administration is proactive in this issue.

I hope this isn't or won't be the case. Folks have got to learn to start standing up and doing what's right rather what's easy. If the football players are involved, and if they won't speak up, hopefully the JSU school officials will.

School officials say football players do live at the apartment complex where the party was held and Henderson was killed. However, none of them are under investigation. School officials say the football team did meet, but it was only because so many of them live in the area. School officials would not elaborate what the meeting was about.

I hope this mother can get some answers. This is just so sad.

If players were witnesses and did not come forward immediately, I imagine they will be subject to school discipline in the least, conspiracy charges at worst.

TP he got his ass beat at the Pallisades.... TECHNICALLY that may be off campus... but is a student only apt complex that is a 2 minute walk from campus.

That was not a FAMU organization nor did it happen on school groups during a sanctioned school activity, but it happened after hours during a school sponsored trip among students in the band. I did not say it was the same, but if you dont believe that JSU will be (who are we kidding, it already is) dragged all through this, you are not being honest with yourself or realistic. I was not trying to bring JSU down, but hoping that the JSU administration is proactive in this issue.

Cliff, beyond the smoke and mirrors, the FAMU situation was a situation within the Marching 100 which is directly related to FAMU. If any entity is as liable here, it's the apt complex. There is no way to tie this to JSU in a legal sense. The deceased was a JSU student so of course JSU is in it. In no way am I trying to lessen the severity of these events, but this is simply not JSU-related. The JSU community is doing all we can to support the family and students affected as we should but this is not a legal matter for us.

Last edited:
TP he got his ass beat at the Pallisades.... TECHNICALLY that may be off campus... but is a student only apt complex that is a 2 minute walk from campus.

It is not a student-only complex. The Palisades is in no way related to JSU. Had he walked into the bad neighborhood behind JSU and got shot, would this be JSU related?

I fail to see your point but I am open to hearing it.

It is not a student-only complex. The Palisades is in no way related to JSU. Had he walked into the bad neighborhood behind JSU and got shot, would this be JSU related?

I fail to see your point but I am open to hearing it.

Bruh Ive been there plenty of times.... Im not saying they have to be enrolled, but dont make it seems like the Palisades is some "regular" apartment complex in Jackson. A high majority of the residents go to JSU or went to JSU... same way with Normal Hills at AAMU.

That's what makes me thinks that the witnesses haven't told police who did what. I don't understand it.

and TP,
You can try to separate it, legally and technically, from Jsu, but keep it real bruh. If the story thats been reported so far turns out to be true, it will indeed be serious for Jsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back