MEAC Officials Delay Vote on Winston-Salem, Savannah State delayed indefinitely

Jafus (Thinker)

MEAC Officials Delay Vote on Winston-Salem

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-meac-jun19,0,5920912.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Savannah State University's application to join the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference has been delayed indefinitely, but Winston-Salem State University's application will be considered at the conference's next meeting.

BY MARTY O'BRIEN
247-4963
June 19, 2006, 1:52 PM EDT

The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference's (MEAC) Council of Chief Executives did not vote on Winston-Salem State University's application for admission to the conference during its meeting on Friday in Virginia Beach. Hampton University President William Harvey, chairman of the council, said Monday that he will call for a vote on Winston-Salem at the council's next meeting, later this summer.

Winston-Salem started the process to leave the Division II Centeral Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) following the 2005-06 school year. If approved, the university will compete as a Division I Independent in 2006-07. The Rams will play seven football games against MEAC schools this fall.

Harvey said that Savannah State University's application for admission to the MEAC was not considered Friday and will not be considered at the next meeting. Harvey said Savannah State's application has been put on hold.

Harvey did not give a reason for the hold on Savannah State and would not speculate as to when the council will vote on its application. Savannah State competes as a Division I Independent.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ummm gram4life

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Harvey did not give a reason for the hold on Savannah State and would not speculate as to when the council will vote on its application. Savannah State competes as a Division I Independent.

Speaking of Morris Brown, the pan hellenic council of Greeks held its annual greek picnic this past weekend on the campus. It was a very nice event with each greek setting up shop (tables, food, spirits, etc.); step show, and the like. And there was no trouble the entire time.

Hope the funding - around $30 million can be found and Morris Brown can be re-opened. I doubt if the Baptist Church will step forward.

KP 78 said:
........Hope the funding - around $30 million can be found and Morris Brown can be re-opened. I doubt if the Baptist Church will step forward.

Morris Brown is supported by and affliated with the AME Church.

GRAM4LIFE said:
SSU... Go back to D2. This was your last chance.

I agree. They can't survive as in I-AA independent and remember they are also a Division I independent in basketball. :smh:

GRAM4LIFE,

SSU... Go back to D2. This was your last chance.

I said exactly what I meant to say... Go back to D2.

Do you believe operating your program as a Division II independent is not a financial strain?

Do you believe they should join a Division II conference?

What Division II conference would add them as an expansion member?

Do you believe the SIAC is still an option?

Jafus (Thinker) said:
GRAM4LIFE,
Do you believe operating your program as a Division II independent is not a financial strain?

It could be,, This is far fetched and will never happen, but I'd like to see a Div I-AA SIAC. It could consist of bits and pieces of the old SIAC:

SIAC-West
Albany State
Tuskegee
Fort Valley
MoBrown (if they could come back)

SIAC-East
Tennessee State
Savanah State
FAMU and Bethune (by some far-fetched reason they would come back)

:spin:

As an athlete being recruited by Savannah State, what incentive do I have to go there as a D-1 independent? Football will never compete in anything, basketball is a joke, baseball is competitive but the odds of a automatic bid are hard...

if they can't get into a D-1 conference, might as well go back down and join the SIAC. They can recruit impact players (transfers) faster and more of their games will mean something again.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jafus (Thinker) said:
GRAM4LIFE,

Question 1: Operating athletics in general or anything for that matter is a financial strain. The question is how much of a strain is your organization capable of handling.

Question 2: I believe regardless of which Division they are in rather it be D1, D2, D3, etc it would be more financially feasible to be in a conference.

Question 3: I can't answer that specifically but I believe after this decision by the MEAC we do know that there aren't anymore D1 conferences considering having them join now.

Question 4: It's a starting point. If I were them I would contact the CIAA as well since there are openings coming for the moving up of WSSU and NCCU.

GRAM4LIFE said:
Question 1: Operating athletics in general or anything for that matter is a financial strain. The question is how much of a strain is your organization capable of handling.

Question 2: I believe regardless of which Division they are in rather it be D1, D2, D3, etc it would be more financially feasible to be in a conference.

Question 3: I can't answer that specifically but I believe after this decision by the MEAC we do know that there aren't anymore D1 conferences considering having them join now.

Question 4: It's a starting point. If I were them I would contact the CIAA as well since there are openings coming for the moving up of WSSU and NCCU.

I agree again. The number of sports they must field in Division I in higher, than in Division II. I believe they should start searching for a conference in Division II, drop sports to save money and build their programs.

Back