Magnolia Classic

Sting said:
Any word on how the game went?
First-time jitters can't stop big boys

Inaugural game not without hitches as Division I-A stars roll

By Mike Christensen
mchristensen@clarionledger.com

Vickie D. King/The Clarion-Ledger

Stanford running back J.R. Lemon and the Division I-A team stiff-armed terrible weather and a puny crowd to beat their small-school counterparts during the Magnolia Gridiron Classic.

John Eubanks streaked down the sideline, through the gray mist and toward the end zone on Saturday.

But the former Southern Miss cornerback, who went virtually the length of the field with his interception, was tripped up inside the 10-yard line.

"I tried to stay up," said Eubanks, who took some good-natured ribbing from one of his coaches for failing to score. "I just lost my balance."

The game ended when he fell. Just like Eubanks on that final play, the Magnolia Gridiron Classic showed some potential in its debut but still has a ways to go.

Eubanks and his Division I-A teammates beat their small-school counterparts 17-9 before a rain-drenched crowd of about 100 in 60,000-seat Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

www.clarionledger.com

JROCK said:
Bruce may have chosen not to play because of the snubbing of the Payton. I know, that I would not be interested in playing in that game after that......

Don't play in an allstar game that could help your draft status, because you were not picked to win the payton.

brilliant.jpg

tsutiger said:
Don't play in an allstar game that could help your draft status, because you were not picked to win the payton.

brilliant.jpg

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Exactly... he needs all the exposure that he can get... and not just that game against Southern....

In_The_662 said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Exactly... he needs all the exposure that he can get... and not just that game against Southern....
Man, the dude had other plans for that week, I know. Also, maybe he wasn't even invited, which could be a good or bad sign. I wish yawl would just stop hating on the guy and just wish him well. Bruce has had two nationally telivised games this year. The only thing that he has left to prove is, can he get his weight down to where it needs to be, and performing well for the scouts at the combines/private workouts. If nothing else, we know that he has at least two shots at making a roster, with Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. For those of you hating on Bruce I hope that you get hated on in your respective professions too.....

G-Man75 said:
Man, the dude had other plans for that week, I know. Also, maybe he wasn't even invited, which could be a good or bad sign. I wish yawl would just stop hating on the guy and just wish him well. Bruce has had two nationally telivised games this year. The only thing that he has left to prove is, can he get his weight down to where it needs to be, and performing well for the scouts at the combines/private workouts. If nothing else, we know that he has at least two shots at making a roster, with Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. For those of you hating on Bruce I hope that you get hated on in your respective professions too.....
Some of these people are truly sad.:( They are hating on their own:( . If Bruce is given a chance he will shine. Good luck Big Bruce.

G-Man75 said:

I don't think it's a matter of hating on Bruce. It think it's a matter of JROCK posting some stupid ish. For any 1AA player to not play in a post season all star game because they felt they were passed over for what ever award is plain stupid.

I haven't read where a poster stated they didn't want Bruce to get drafted or make a team.

White 17, Red 9
I-A White Steven Jyles 6-of-10 80 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 31 yards

Each team also had players from NAIA schools on its roster.

The Red recovered a fumble by the White's Kasey Young of Western New Mexico at the White 49 with 49 seconds remaining and moved it to the 28.

But John Eubanks of Southern Mississippi intercepted Travis Lulay's 8-of-14 passing for 90 yards final pass at about the 10 and returned it 80 yards before tripping at the Red 10 as time expired.

Blayne Baggett of Indiana State was 9-of-21 for 79 yards with a 1-yard touchdown run.

"Any opportunity for a guy from a smaller school ... to play and impress scouts in front of bigger competition, it's a plus for us,'' Lulay said.

The White took a 10-point lead early in the second half. Jyles' TD pass to Stutz capped an efficient five-play, 74-yard drive to open the half and make it 17-7. The Red team pulled within 17-9 on a safety by sacking backup quarterback Dustin Almond in the end zone.

With time winding down in the first half, the Red team made the play of the day. Baggett threw a 12-yard pass to Texas Southern's Hank Edwards, who then lateraled to Alabama State's Keldrick Williams. He ran 39 yards to the White 1 with 3 seconds remaining, and Baggett sneaked in on the next play as time expired in the half to cut it to 10-7.

Williams led all rushers with 54 yards on eight carries.

"For four days of practice, I think we came out and did all right,'' Lulay said.

Officials said several players from both teams left as early in the third quarter to catch flights home for the holidays.

tsutiger said:
I don't think it's a matter of hating on Bruce. It think it's a matter of JROCK posting some stupid ish. For any 1AA player to not play in a post season all star game because they felt they were passed over for what ever award is plain stupid.

I haven't read where a poster stated they didn't want Bruce to get drafted or make a team.

And the worse thing is that they wont find anything were anyone hated on Bruce...

I just agreed with the point that him turning down playing in the game was the smartest move in the world... especially against some Division I-A football players. (This aint a diss against Southern) If the game that you get the most national exposure for is against Southern, that will only take you so far..... that's not hating... that's just being real....

But I'm sure that y'all will say that this is hating as well.... :shame:

I hate it rained. It was pretty heavy all day. I hope they are able to keep it going in spite of the very low turnout...

Peace...

Glad to see BR native Steven Jyles have a good game...dude is a good qb.

Most likely Bruce is somewhere undergoing training. That would be the smarter thing to do. He's on the clock to trim down some more and go into the combines in shape. Not time for a fledgling all-star game.

Exposure? Please...the NFL knows about Bruce Eugene. I swear that dudes name has been typed more than any player in the History of D1AA.:lmao:

Back