Let's Get The SWAC Back To Where We Belong

UAPB '97 said:
In the view of NCAA Division 1AA, the SWAC is at the bottom. These are the 4 items that need to be addressed to get the SWAC back to where we belong, on top!!!

1. Dump the SWAC Championship Game.

2. Dump the division format. Play a modified schedule (like the Big Ten) where teams don't meet certain years BUT let teams choose to keep certain rivalries on an every year basis, if need be (i.e. GSU-SU, AlaSU-AAMU, etc.).

3. Dump the 9 game mandate. See above.

4. And the grand-daddy of them all........Move the BC to a different date. Wouldn't the GSU-SU matchup make money no matter what date it is played on? Many rivalry games are played on different dates each season (Alabama-Auburn).

We MUST begin to compete in the 1AA playoffs. We CANNOT continue to isolate ourselves from the rest of 1AA.

You bring up some good points.

1. Dump the SWAC Championship Game. I am in no way in love with this game but it is our only option at this point. In perfect world I am in favor of the playoffs but in our world money rules and a SWAC team traveling to Montana for a first-round playoff game doesn't make the school or the conference any money. The game would be more relevant if the Heritage Bowl was still alive.

2. Dump the division format. Play a modified schedule. Keep the divisions but still play a modified schedule so SWAC teams can schedule non-conference opponents. That way Grambling may could schedule Hampton. And SWAC schools would have more openings for possible D-I opponents.

4. And the grand-daddy of them all........Move the BC to a different date. The SWAC can't force this move and Grambling and Southern sees no need to change the date since the playoffs are not a financial boon.

We MUST begin to compete in the 1AA playoffs. We CANNOT continue to isolate ourselves from the rest of 1AA. I agree with the second part. SWAC teams have to play good non-conference teams. But the polls have always ranked teams that participate in the playoffs higher and that included the SWAC when we took part in the playoffs.

So how do we improve the SWAC? :lecture: First school presidents have to realize that having a good football program helps recruit students (not just student athletes). I was introduced to Jackson State through its football program. :lecture: As I once heard -- the football program is sometimes like the front porch of your home. If it looks like crap then some people are turned off from stepping inside. So more money needs to be pumped into the programs for stadium expansion projects, etc. Schools need to discuss with alumni developing or enhancing fund-raising arms for athletics. :idea: After several years of this, the best and biggest programs (Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, and the Bamas) need to move their programs to D-I with the best from the MEAC. Form one D-I BCF conference with divisions, championship game and bowl game with another conference. The only requirements for a D-I move is a stadium with over 35,000 seats, at least 200 full athletic scholarships and average at least 15,000 fans for each home football game. It can be done if school presidents wanted to do it. But most presidents don't care about sports. :shame: :shame:

Some say an old issue...but still one that we need to continue to access. We might just stumble upon a viable solution (if we could keep smack away, lol)

UAPB '97 said:
In the view of NCAA Division 1AA, the SWAC is at the bottom. These are the 4 items that need to be addressed to get the SWAC back to where we belong, on top!!!

1. Dump the SWAC Championship Game.
Not so fast... Keep the game date, it has potential but not for the purpose it's presently being used. Decide the SWAC champion based on the best regular season record. Use this date as a post season game...either SWAC champ against a mid-major (make a $200k offer)

2. Dump the division format. Play a modified schedule (like the Big Ten) where teams don't meet certain years BUT let teams choose to keep certain rivalries on an every year basis, if need be (i.e. GSU-SU, AlaSU-AAMU, etc.).

Not necessarily dump it...but make it a 8 game mandate. Enter discussion with the MEAC to schedule 3 game (home/home/neutral) for all teams as season opener. Enter discussion with SWAC West vs Southland Conference regional opponents. Do them as 2 year contracts and rotate through the teams. Do the same thing for the SWAC East, except let theirs be againt the OVC which helps cut down on travel.

4. And the grand-daddy of them all........Move the BC to a different date. Wouldn't the GSU-SU matchup make money no matter what date it is played on? Many rivalry games are played on different dates each season (Alabama-Auburn).

No Way! Let's not mess with a proven winner. This game date works for so many reasons and to move it wouldn't be good for the league. Trust me, this game gives exposure to all BCF.

We MUST begin to compete in the 1AA playoffs. We CANNOT continue to isolate ourselves from the rest of 1AA.

I can live with this... I don't like some of the provisions (payout) from these playoffs but I won't put down others for wanting to go even under the current financially unfavorable restraints. But competing against these teams on the field would be great for exposure and recruiting. As a fan of football, I would enjoy it. Hopefully, the NCAA will do the smart thing and delay the playoffs for one week. Why? Not just for SU & Grambling but for the good of 1AA football. The teams that have finished their season can have a week off to prepare for the playoffs. If the SWAC champ is available (anyone other than GSU, SU, & Bama St., then they will have a week to prepare as well). I think however that team would be would be a good team and would travel well for the game. Imagine the excitement...the winner would have beaten 3 of the recent champions to get there.

But the NCAA will never make this move unless we communicate this option to them and if that doesn't yield what we want...We still have the "possible" Bowl game for our conference champ.

MikeBigg said:
Enter discussion with the MEAC to schedule 3 game (home/home/neutral) for all teams as season opener. Enter discussion with SWAC West vs Southland Conference regional opponents. Do them as 2 year contracts and rotate through the teams. Do the same thing for the SWAC East, except let theirs be againt the OVC which helps cut down on travel.
This makes a lot of sense. I know the Big Ten has entered an agreement with the MAC for scheduling non-conference games.

MikeBigg said:
Use this date as a post season game...either SWAC champ against a mid-major (make a $200k offer)
Do you mean a 1A mid-major? Why would they want to play in a bowl against a 1AA team?

Lewis said:
2) Everyone wants to play SU, Gram, JSU (without bell). Who wants to play yall!!! (nobody) Who is your rival in the SWAC (nobody, and please don't say grambling, yall are about #4 down on thier list.)

3) I can go along with that. But it still causes problems.

4) First, your school cannot make SU-GRAMBLING move the date of the Bayou Classic, and will never have any input into that. Thanksgiving weekend is by far the best date for that game AND WE AIN'T GONNA CHANGE IT!!!!!

Here is a suggestion. You can achieve most your goals for your school by simply going back to NAIA.
I am looking at this issue from a conference perspective, not just to benefit any ONE school.

UAPB '97 said:
Do you mean a 1A mid-major? Why would they want to play in a bowl against a 1AA team?

Yes...the money and the chance to play one more game. Someone might be interested. Couldn't hurt to ask!

MikeBigg said:
Yes...the money and the chance to play one more game. Someone might be interested. Couldn't hurt to ask!

I think the NCAA prohibits Division I-A and I-AA from having bowl games against one another. That came up when Alcorn had Steve McNair and I think it was the Liberty Bowl that wanted to matchup Alcorn with a D-I school and the NCAA pointed to the ban.

Mr. Tiger said:
I think the NCAA prohibits Division I-A and I-AA from having bowl games against one another. That came up when Alcorn had Steve McNair and I think it was the Liberty Bowl that wanted to matchup Alcorn with a D-I school and the NCAA pointed to the ban.

Wondering if that was because McNair had participated in the 1AA playoffs the same season. I've heard that there's a rule that prohibits a team from playing in a bowl game and the playoffs. I don't see how they can have a rule that restricts a team from playing in a Bowl game due to classification.

For one thing, that not's something that was likely to happen so I wouldn't think there would be legislation already in affect prior to the McNair vs D1A game's proposal. I'm thinking that they probably used the "already played in the playoffs" card. But as Jafus would say..."interesting"!

Back