Lanier Point guard Ellis will declare for NBA draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
vertojsu said:
I agree totally. Considering the fact that Monta didn't make high enough on the ACT to even be admitted to MSU on a probationary status and that he didn't pass any of the state test required for graduation, his options are limited. For the sake of his long term betterment, he should prepare for and retake the ACT, do community college or go to any 4-year to prepare himself for the long haul.

Ah I see now. Monta has no choice but to enter the NBA. No wonder the Duke's , NC's or Kentucky's are not recruiting him hard. They know he will not qualify. Well I really wish him well now. :(

JR said:
Ah I see now. Monta has no choice but to enter the NBA. No wonder the Duke's , NC's or Kentucky's are not recruiting him hard. They know he will not qualify. Well I really wish him well now. :(

He signed early. NC was recruiting him until they came to the conclusion that if he did go to a college, it was going to be Ms. State.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
staggalee83 said:
He signed early. NC was recruiting him until they came to the conclusion that if he did go to a college, it was going to be Ms. State.

Believe me when I say this. Once they found out his scores had not qualified they would have backed off. One thing about NC and Duke, they don't admit any kids that struggle with test scores or have grade issues. That's why their graduation rates are so high even when their kids leave early. Rasheed Wallace may be considered by some to be a head case, but he shole had the GPA and test scores to get into NC. Maybe Monta would have been better going to Oak Hill Academy like Jerry Stackhouse and some of the other kids who went there. I think they work with those kids to get their grades and test scores up to get into the big name schools.
I had a problem with him going to Ms State in the first place. If you are a true baller and want to learn then you do like a Danny Ewing (Houston/Willowridge High kid) bypassed going to the local schools and headed to Duke. Same could be said for Chicago Bull Chris Duhon who was from New Orleans. If you excel at those type programs you get alot of interest from the NBA and on top of that get a degree.

Sorry, I just don't have any faith in the coaching at most of the deep South schools in developing basketball talent outside of Kentucky, Ga Tech, and the other ACC schools. Especially Ms State. But hey he knew he was going pro so it don't matter. Again I wish him luck. He's going to need it at the NBA level.

Da_Sperm said:
OK, 10 year payout

DALLAS (AP) -- Leon Smith, the talented but troubled teenager struggling to go from high school star to NBA rookie, has been released by the Dallas Mavericks and is a free agent.

Smith's stormy relationship with the Mavericks ended Tuesday with a deal that ensures he'll get the $1.45 million he was guaranteed by being a first-round pick. The only question is who will be picking up the tab.

If another team takes a chance on the 19-year-old forward, they must fulfill the three-year deal Smith signed in November. If not, the Mavericks will pay it out over 10 years.
It says that he got $1.45M guaranteed. That's $145k a year, which is better for him since he wasn't gonna pan out.

D-NICE said:
Robber, and Mighty Hornet, where did I say he was wrong for not going to school? I've always contened that it's the NBA's own fault, go back and look at my first post on the "Discrimination thread". As a matter of fact, I believe I was the first one to say so.
Where did I say that you said he was wrong for not going to school??? That first paragraph was directed at you. The 2nd was to the school advocates in general, but I didn't say anyone was wrong in that paragraph, either.

Robber said:
It says that he got $1.45M guaranteed. That's $145k a year, which is better for him since he wasn't gonna pan out.

He probably would have panned out if he would have gone to college for at least 2 years or even 3. In fact, he would be entering the draft this year had he stayed 4 years. Name 3 good college players in the draft that are 6'10. He would have been a lottery pick.

Da_Sperm said:
He probably would have panned out if he would have gone to college for at least 2 years or even 3. In fact, he would be entering the draft this year had he stayed 4 years. Name 3 good college players in the draft that are 6'10. He would have been a lottery pick.
Pure speculation. I could easily say that he woulda been a bust in college and he wasn't gonna get drafted.

vertojsu said:
I agree totally. Considering the fact that Monta didn't make high enough on the ACT to even be admitted to MSU on a probationary status and that he didn't pass any of the state test required for graduation, his options are limited. For the sake of his long term betterment, he should prepare for and retake the ACT, do community college or go to any 4-year to prepare himself for the long haul.

oh ok, that's what it was, i understand now, Monta please watch your money and read everything u sign.

P.S. HIT THE WEIGHTROOM TOO

JR said:

:shame: This info is so wrong! :lmao:

From the clarionledger....

"They're going to say what they want to say because I didn't come up to their all-star game," Ellis said. "We had told them a month before that we weren't going to play."

Billups echoed his star player, who, with a 2.7 grade point average and 23 on the ACT, is on track to meet NCAA freshman eligibility requirements.

Read the article for yourself! Monta Ellis

coldsweat said:

"They're going to say what they want to say because I didn't come up to their all-star game," Ellis said. "We had told them a month before that we weren't going to play."

Billups echoed his star player, who, with a 2.7 grade point average and 23 on the ACT, is on track to meet NCAA freshman eligibility requirements.

Read the article for yourself! www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050327/SPORTS06/503270330/1025

Don't be mad at me. I only made those comments above based on this post below.

Originally Posted by vertojsu
I agree totally. Considering the fact that Monta didn't make high enough on the ACT to even be admitted to MSU on a probationary status and that he didn't pass any of the state test required for graduation, his options are limited. For the sake of his long term betterment, he should prepare for and retake the ACT, do community college or go to any 4-year to prepare himself for the long haul

So he is eligilble. That's good to hear. I hate hearing our kids not having the grades or test scores. So if thats the case he should have his arse getting ready for college instead of the NBA. That opinion of mine will not change. I still wish him luck cause he's going to need it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

staggalee83 said:

That's why I posted this JR.

It was Ms. State from the beginning. The others knew this. Duke and the rest was not going to waste time on someone they had no chance of getting.

Getting in school was not a problem for him.

staggalee83 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's why I posted this JR.

It was Ms. State from the beginning. The others knew this. Duke and the rest was not going to waste time on someone they had no chance of getting.

Getting in school was not a problem for him.

Hell, I don't even understand why he would want to play ball at Ms State either. If he had the grades and test scores, why wouldn't you want to play for the better coaches at the National powers? Like I said earlier, if you are that serious about going to the NBA then you do everything possible to make that a reality. You take care of your grades, you play well, you get into better shape and put on muscle, you pick a school/coach that will help you get to the next level. Monta only did 2 things. He got his grades and played well. Didn't hit the weight room hard enough either like Lebron did. Even by signing with Ms State showed me he had no grasp on where he should show case his talents or did he get sold out to MSU like the rest of them? One thing I can say about those New Orleans kids, they don't just head their arse to LSU. I am sure Chris Duhon could have stayed home too. It just boggles my mind what the homeboys see in sad arse Ms State. Even that final four team players were busts in the NBA. Dampier better be glad he's 6'11.

No agent pact yet, says Ellis' mother

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050428/SPORTS06/504280394/1025/SPORTS

April 28, 2005

Rosa Ellis insists no final decision made for Lanier star's future

By Todd Kelly
tkelly@clarionledger.com

According to his mother, the door may not be closed after all for Lanier basketball star Monta Ellis to attend Mississippi State.

Rosa Ellis said Wednesday her son won't sign with an agent until June at the earliest, in part to preserve his college eligibility.

"Right now, it's about 70 percent he'll probably be in the NBA," she said. "I just want to leave the options open in case it doesn't work out the way he wants so he can still go to college. If he has an agent now, it messes with his (NCAA) eligibility."
Monta Ellis ? Mississippi's reigning Mr. Basketball and one of the nation's top prospects in the Class of 2005 ? said Tuesday he planned to sign with New York-based agent Andy Miller in the next few days.

Ellis, who signed a scholarship with MSU last November, couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday. He is spending the week at the IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he is rehabilitating from surgery to repair cartilage in his left knee.

Rosa Ellis, however, said she's not ready to put her signature on a contract with any agent.

"When you're young like that and you've got people talking in your ear, then you make those kind of statements," she said.

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 28. College underclassmen and high school seniors who declare for the draft have until June 21 to withdraw and preserve their NCAA eligibility provided they don't sign with an agent.

Monta Ellis turned 19 last October. Under state law, since Ellis has not reached 21, a guardian's signature would be required to make the contract official.

"We've talked about Andy Miller, but we haven't officially made him the agent," said Rosa Ellis. "He's one of the people, but the only reason he's in the picture is Coach (Thomas) Billups at Lanier introduced him into the picture. Coach Billups is not running anything. Right now, I'm handling everything that's going on with Monta until I decide what agent I want to use."

Miller represents several NBA players, including Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Portland's Sebastian Telfair and Detroit teammates Antonio McDyess of Quitman and Chauncey Billups, the latter of whom is the nephew of the highly successful Lanier coach.

Monta has previously said he would rely on advice from his mother and Thomas Billups to decide his basketball future. Ellis broke onto the scene as a precocious freshman, sparking Lanier to the Class 4A state championship in 2002. He led the Bulldogs to another title as a senior.

"I really don't want to comment on it," Billups said, "but his mother asked me when he was in ninth grade not to let anything happen to this kid. So that's what I did. I'm only doing what Monta asked me to do."

Good job Mama Ellis, keep the options open so if he is projected in the lower first round, just go to school.

Why not go to Mississippi St.??? They are on tv all the time, and if he has all the talent that he shows, it only takes one time for them to be on ESPN and Dickie V sees him, then the rest is history. Mississippi St. is close enough for his mom to come watch him play. Think about it, if he really wants to shine I don't blame him going to Mississippi St. U go to UNC or Duke and u got bout 5 or 6 other McDonald's All-Americans, so u got to fight with them for PLAYING TIME. He goes to State, and he can SHOWCASE all of his talents, whether it be getting people involved, scoring, running a team, and playing defense. He would probably be the male version of Latoya Thomas there.

coldsweat said:

Read the article for yourself! Monta Ellis

This ACT score is not accurate.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: No agent pact yet, says Ellis' mother

BLUEBENGAL said:
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050428/SPORTS06/504280394/1025/SPORTS

April 28, 2005

Rosa Ellis insists no final decision made for Lanier star's future

By Todd Kelly
tkelly@clarionledger.com

According to his mother, the door may not be closed after all for Lanier basketball star Monta Ellis to attend Mississippi State.

Rosa Ellis said Wednesday her son won't sign with an agent until June at the earliest, in part to preserve his college eligibility.

"Right now, it's about 70 percent he'll probably be in the NBA," she said. "I just want to leave the options open in case it doesn't work out the way he wants so he can still go to college. If he has an agent now, it messes with his (NCAA) eligibility."
Monta Ellis ? Mississippi's reigning Mr. Basketball and one of the nation's top prospects in the Class of 2005 ? said Tuesday he planned to sign with New York-based agent Andy Miller in the next few days.

Ellis, who signed a scholarship with MSU last November, couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday. He is spending the week at the IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton, Fla., where he is rehabilitating from surgery to repair cartilage in his left knee.

Rosa Ellis, however, said she's not ready to put her signature on a contract with any agent.

"When you're young like that and you've got people talking in your ear, then you make those kind of statements," she said.

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 28. College underclassmen and high school seniors who declare for the draft have until June 21 to withdraw and preserve their NCAA eligibility provided they don't sign with an agent.

Monta Ellis turned 19 last October. Under state law, since Ellis has not reached 21, a guardian's signature would be required to make the contract official.

"We've talked about Andy Miller, but we haven't officially made him the agent," said Rosa Ellis. "He's one of the people, but the only reason he's in the picture is Coach (Thomas) Billups at Lanier introduced him into the picture. Coach Billups is not running anything. Right now, I'm handling everything that's going on with Monta until I decide what agent I want to use."

Miller represents several NBA players, including Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Portland's Sebastian Telfair and Detroit teammates Antonio McDyess of Quitman and Chauncey Billups, the latter of whom is the nephew of the highly successful Lanier coach.

Monta has previously said he would rely on advice from his mother and Thomas Billups to decide his basketball future. Ellis broke onto the scene as a precocious freshman, sparking Lanier to the Class 4A state championship in 2002. He led the Bulldogs to another title as a senior.

"I really don't want to comment on it," Billups said, "but his mother asked me when he was in ninth grade not to let anything happen to this kid. So that's what I did. I'm only doing what Monta asked me to do."

Thank goodness Mom has stepped in. Hopefully he goes to school. Still don't like the Ms State choice. In a way I wish he had a NBA body and was ready to go. I am just not sold on that MSU will help his game or draft status. I do want the kid to go to college. Where is Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Roy Williams when you need them. LOL

JR said:
Thank goodness Mom has stepped in. Hopefully he goes to school. Still don't like the Ms State choice. In a way I wish he had a NBA body and was ready to go. I am just not sold on that MSU will help his game or draft status. I do want the kid to go to college. Where is Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Roy Williams when you need them. LOL
JR,

Billups sends his best players to State. His son, TJ, Tang Hamilton, Rhodes, Monta. Jerry Nichols (Georgetown) and Darius Rice (Miami) are about the only ones of note that I can think that didn't go to State. And Billups and Rice didn't get along I hear.

Robber said:
JR,

Billups sends his best players to State. His son, TJ, Tang Hamilton, Rhodes, Monta. Jerry Nichols (Georgetown) and Darius Rice (Miami) are about the only ones of note that I can think that didn't go to State. And Billups and Rice didn't get along I hear.

Not to mention that Rice probably listened to his people over Billups. That's interesting. I would like to see some of those kids play at other schools. I am just not seeing what MSU is doing to help their development. Billups must be getting paid under the table. LOL.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHY?.....................(playing for other schools). They can't do anymore for these kids than Ms. State.

Heck, out of all the players and championships DUKE has had, you can count the sucess stories as far as the next level on 1 hand.

Hell................................... Grant hill is the biggest sucess they have had, and he's been hurt most of his career. Latner is the next.

What has DUKE done for these players developement.
Where is Parks and the rest of those McDonalds All-American DOOKIE's?
Ferry was the biggest can't miss scrub of them all.

Has anyone heard from #1 USATODAY CAN'T MISS Trajan "ALASKA" Lang.............or anyone else off his teams.

These players go to DUKE and you never hear from them again.

staggalee83 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHY?.....................(playing for other schools). They can't do anymore for these kids than Ms. State.

Heck, out of all the players and championships DUKE has had, you can count the sucess stories as far as the next level on 1 hand.

Hell................................... Grant hill is the biggest sucess they have had, and he's been hurt most of his career. Latner is the next.

What has DUKE done for these players developement.
Where is Parks and the rest of those McDonalds All-American DOOKIE's?
Ferry was the biggest can't miss scrub of them all.

Has anyone heard from #1 USATODAY CAN'T MISS Trajan "ALASKA" Lang.............or anyone else off his teams.

These players go to DUKE and you never hear from them again.

LOL. I aint a Duke fan. I actually hate them, but Coach K can get you drafted high. They just end up busts later on. Actually Cory Magette, Chris Duhon, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand and Shane Battier have at least been decent.

Ms State aint even done that.

Monta should be heading to NC since Felton was going leave this year. If he wanted to stay close to home, he could have went to Ga Tech and played for Hewitt. Kentucky needs a guard and he would fit in perfectly in a Tubby Smith system. So don't think I am advocating Duke. I just mentioned them because 2 kids from the South...Duhon from New Orleans and Ewing from Houston ended up there and was successful. Those 2 aren't as talented as Ellis either. MSU aint a basketball power. They actually underachieve and get their arses kick by the big boys mainly due to coaching.

Staying at home in Ms is what's killing these kids. Our best players who have left have had more success like Derrick McKey, Antonio McDyess, Chris Jackson, etc. Even going to Alabama would be better than MSU. Come to think about it, only Lindsay has done something in the NBA that stayed home. I love my home state. But I would never allow my kid to play ball at any of those PWCs in that state. Especially basketball. Just my opinion.

JR said:
LOL. I aint a Duke fan. I actually hate them, but Coach K can get you drafted high. They just end up busts later on. Actually Cory Magette, Chris Duhon, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand and Shane Battier have at least been decent.

In other words, DUKE DON'T DO NOTHING TO DEVELOPE THEM OR GET THEM READY FOR THE NEXT LEVEL.

Ms State aint even done that.

I'm not a Ms. State fan either but..........Mississippi State just started getting players like this in the last 8 years. Heck, they lost 2 players that could have turned that program into a recruiting magnet to the NBA straight out of highschool .......... (Bender & Outlaw), and now they will more than likely lose Ellis.

Monta should be heading to NC since Felton was going leave this year. If he wanted to stay close to home, he could have went to Ga Tech and played for Hewitt. Kentucky needs a guard and he would fit in perfectly in a Tubby Smith system. So don't think I am advocating Duke. I just mentioned them because 2 kids from the South...Duhon from New Orleans and Ewing from Houston ended up there and was successful. Those 2 aren't as talented as Ellis either. MSU aint a basketball power. They actually underachieve and get their arses kick by the big boys mainly due to coaching.

Staying at home in Ms is what's killing these kids. Our best players who have left have had more success like Derrick McKey, Antonio McDyess, Chris Jackson, etc. Even going to Alabama would be better than MSU. Come to think about it, only Lindsay has done something in the NBA that stayed home. I love my home state. But I would never allow my kid to play ball at any of those PWCs in that state. Especially basketball. Just my opinion.

Heck, I could name just as many, with the same talent that went out of state and didn't get anything in return.

Jessie Pate ......Arkansas ........used and abused. They didn't give a damm about this kid.

Jerroid Ward...........McDonalds 1st team all-american ............MICHIGAN. Have not heard from him. Where was his developement. He didn't even get drafted. If the name sounds familier, his sister just played in the McDonalds All-Star game.

Ronnie Henderson .............McDonalds All American, best HIGH WIRE/SHOOTING act this region has seen ..........LSU........Dale Brown didn't do shat for him except let him immitate JORDAN.

Jerry Nichols ..................McDonalds All American ..............GEORGETOWN ................Where is he.

And these are the most recent cases. Where was the developement at these bigtime powerhouses? The list can go on and on.

staggalee83 said:
Heck, I could name just as many, with the same talent that went out of state and didn't get anything in return.

Jessie Pate ......Arkansas ........used and abused. They didn't give a damm about this kid.

Jerroid Ward...........McDonalds 1st team all-american ............MICHIGAN. Have not heard from him. Where was his developement. He didn't even get drafted. If the name sounds familier, his sister just played in the McDonalds All-Star game.

Ronnie Henderson .............McDonalds All American, best HIGH WIRE/SHOOTING act this region has seen ..........LSU........Dale Brown didn't do shat for him except let him immitate JORDAN.

Jerry Nichols ..................McDonalds All American ..............GEORGETOWN ................Where is he.
Where was the developement at these bigtime powerhouses?

What powerhouse did you name? Ward went to Michigan and underachieved, hopefully his sister don't do the same. Michigan is a sometime power in basketball.

Nichols went to Georgetown when they were in decline mode

Jesse Pate was really never that good. Arkansas was also in decline. Richardson was grasping at straws.

Ronnie Henderson went to the wrong school. We all know Dale Brown couldn't coach out of a paper bag. He always could recruit though.

I am talking about coaches like Pitino at Louisville, Tubby at Kentucky, Roy W at NC, even Kansas keeps a program. Rick Barnes has done a nice job at Texas and he was okay at Clemson. Ga Tech has a good program. I am not talking about those schools who were flashes in a pan. Georgetown was okay until Thompson started getting out recruited in the Big East. Nolan Richardson, well I wouldn't send a kid to play for him anyway. Didn't Pate have to go to JC first anyway because his grades were suspect leaving Murrah? BTW, you forgot to mention Othella Harrington who went to G-town and has had a long NBA career. That means he has been drawing a nice paycheck for a long time. I think he is a Bull right now.

My point is this. Ellis is a big time HS player. Even bigger than any of those guys you mentioned.

Now I am going to also say, some of those guys you mentioned was soft as cotton candy in the first place and would not have made it nowhere. Nichols never had any game in my opinion. Henderson was all flash just like Hollywood Robinson who went to Alabama. Ellis has way more game than they do so if he did go to one of nicer programs that have a great coach then I think he would excel.

Monta ONLY signed with MS State so he could be close to his mother, his only two choices were MS State and North Carolina. Alot of you probably aren't familiar with the situation with his family. His mother was/is distraught over Monta's brother Antwain, whom has been in a steady decline since the death of his best friend and Lanier teammate P.J. Antwain Ellis was an all Metro his senior season and was a damn good player who also wanted to sign with MS State. Oh and by the way Billups (Dollar Bill) as we call him has a strong dislike for Stansbury. And just to clarify the other poster that is the correct score that he got on his ACT.

SuaveTiger said:
Monta ONLY signed with MS State so he could be close to his mother, his only two choices were MS State and North Carolina. Alot of you probably aren't familiar with the situation with his family. His mother was/is distraught over Monta's brother Antwain, whom has been in a steady decline since the death of his best friend and Lanier teammate P.J. Antwain Ellis was an all Metro his senior season and was a damn good player who also wanted to sign with MS State. Oh and by the way Billups (Dollar Bill) as we call him has a strong dislike for Stansbury. And just to clarify the other poster that is the correct score that he got on his ACT.

If he dislikes Stansbury he has a funny way of showing it. Cause he sends all of his best players to M$U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back