Judgement call - Late timeout sends Mavericks' tempers flaring

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
man all that crap is over with now, if the Mavs go into the game tonight thinking about how they were wronged and this and that, then they can go on and pull up a chair to watch the victory interviews tonight.

P.S. I do kinda want to see Avery go off on another reporter again though! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yeah that was priceless!! That reporter couldn't say isht when Avery asked him the same question.

dacontinent said:
The question here is when frontcourt is established on a pass. In this case the ball was already inbounds, so anything having to do with out of bounds doesn't matter. Since this is a pass, everything that has to do with dribbling goes out the window. So, we are down to the ball and the players.

The passing player is clearly in the backcourt. Next is the ball...Did it ever cross midcourt while in the possession of an offensive player? No. So, it there cannot be a backcourt violation on this play.

The officials got it right and Mr. Cuban needs to go to officials school.

WHat play are you speaking of? The play in question...the passing player was out of bounds on MIAMI's side of the court. D. Wade caught the ball, put one step down between the line for the graphic on the court (the O'Brien trophy graphic) and the half court line, then quickly stepped back. I missed it but I watched the replay last night and with the power of DVR...rewound it and watched in slow motion. At first I was SURE he was not backcourt, because of that extra line on the court... but in slow motion it is clear that he touched that first foot down AFTER catching the ball, then his momentum carried him behind the halfcourt line.

The rule is not in question...it is straightforward... but what happened was that he actually STEPPED BACK after touching the ball in the frontcourt.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
So, if he had done the same thing in the 1st quarter of the game, would it have been a violation? If not, the NBA needs to change the rule. I don't like the fact that intentional fouls with 2 minutes left to go in the game means the offensive gets the ball back out of bounds. This protects horrible free throw shooters like Shaq.

Make a rule and let the rule stay the same throughout the game.

GR would like to comment...but it will be erased just like before.
The sports board moderator sucks.

Da_Sperm said:
So, if he had done the same thing in the 1st quarter of the game, would it have been a violation? If not, the NBA needs to change the rule.

It was clearly backcourt (in slow motion). It would have been a violation at any time of the game and at any level of basketball. I think the refs were confused about the timeline since there are 3 lines on the court in the vicinity because of the graphic.

WalkWitaPanther said:
Damn, it's right there in point number 7. You can't say that a player is either in the frontcourt or the backcourt until he establishes position WITH THE BALL on either side.

Its plain to see...

the MAVS just got beat

quit whining & go play ball. The refs did not cheat you out of a win...you just lost end of discussion

jag4life said:
I missed it but I watched the replay last night and with the power of DVR...rewound it and watched in slow motion. At first I was SURE he was not backcourt, because of that extra line on the court... but in slow motion it is clear that he touched that first foot down AFTER catching the ball, then his momentum carried him behind the halfcourt line.
The rule is not in question...it is straightforward... but what happened was that he actually STEPPED BACK after touching the ball in the frontcourt.

Key word...YOU watched it in slow motion...nobody else including the refs did at the moment it happened.

I'm just tired of the Mavs expecting the refs to bail them out of clutch situations.

1. the refs had nothing to do with them missing 3 of 4 free throws at the end of regulation.

2. the refs did not make HOWARD call timeout TWICE...I saw it & the refs did too

Watching "The Best Damn Sports Show", they asked Stern about the backcourt violation and Cubans comments to the media following the game. Stern would only comment on Cubans comments and didn't address the backcourt violation.

You see, Cuban is a computer guy (Analytical guy like myself). That foul that was called on Dirk was subjective, basically the refs opinion. Cuban chose to address what was more definite, the backcourt violation. Rule is you have to be established in the backcourt, PERIOD. That was CLEARLY a backcourt violation and the NBA does not want to address it.

D-Wade isn't that good to get the treatment he is recieving. Like someone said earlier, it took Jordan 6 years to get that respect that D-Wade is getting from the league.

Brave said:
Key word...YOU watched it in slow motion...nobody else including the refs did at the moment it happened.

I didn't say anything about whether the refs missed it on purpose or not. ...Like I said...they could have been confused as I was in full speed when I watched it at first. As a ref, you don't make a call like that unless you are sure about it... they obviously were not sure about it.

You have to realize that the NBA promotes players, not teams. So its beneficial for the NBA to have a hero playing in the finals. Right now, Wade is the man and he gets all the calls. The dude went to the line 25 times....25 times?

Thats some Jordan time crap. The guy shot 11 for 28 from the field, but went to the line 25 times. The last call he got is almost unheard of in the NBA. You dont get a foul called with under 10 seconds left in a half unless blood is drawn. But the NBA is Sterns. Surely Cuban didnt think he was going to get a fair shake from his arch enemy.

Get Ready said:
You have to realize that the NBA promotes players, not teams. So its beneficial for the NBA to have a hero playing in the finals. Right now, Wade is the man and he gets all the calls. The dude went to the line 25 times....25 times?

Thats some Jordan time crap. The guy shot 11 for 28 from the field, but went to the line 25 times. The last call he got is almost unheard of in the NBA. You dont get a foul called with under 10 seconds left in a half unless blood is drawn. But the NBA is Sterns. Surely Cuban didnt think he was going to get a fair shake from his arch enemy.

Shid GR, even MJ had never done that. Wade broke Bob Petitt's records in the Finals. Karl Malone who lead the NBA in free throw attempts for years, never got those type of calls in the Finals. Bird, Magic.........etc. Don't get me wrong I know stars get their special treatment. But like somebody said earlier Jordan didn't get it as quick as Wade is getting his. GR you may be on to something. Stern may feel I need a legit star to hang the NBA on. Right now he has LeBron and Wade. Carmelo is in Denver and they are underachieving and Kobe is black listed for his white girl escapade. So maybe ole Stern does want Wade to be a hero. LOL

When you attack the rim as Wade does, you get calls. When you shoot a ton of jump shots (see KG), you don't get calls. No one complained when Dirk shot 18 FT's against PHX.....

UAPB '97 said:
When you attack the rim as Wade does, you get calls. When you shoot a ton of jump shots (see KG), you don't get calls. No one complained when Dirk shot 18 FT's against PHX.....
This absolutely true. GR loves the way this kid attacks the basket and makes things happen unlike KG and that punk Vince Carter....but 25 free throws is a bit much....usually the refs use better judgement.

GR,
I see you have to find something to poke at SU about ^^^^^^. Get off my classmate. When JSU has a coach in the NBA........then come holla at a brother. SMH. BTW his SU Education has done him quite well.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Just heard that Cuban was fined $250,000 for his post-game antics and comments. We know the money means nothing, but do you feel the fine was warranted?

WalkWitaPanther said:
Just heard that Cuban was fined $250,000 for his post-game antics and comments. We know the money means nothing, but do you feel the fine was warranted?

That's just it right there, the money means nothing. You're going to get fined anytime you complain about or question the integrity of the officiating, but it's the equivalent of fining a common person 50 cents for a speeding violation.

JaguarNation99 said:
That's just it right there, the money means nothing. You're going to get fined anytime you complain about or question the integrity of the officiating, but it's the equivalent of fining a common person 50 cents for a speeding violation.

Hey...............Remember what Sir Charles said back in his day when a reporter told
him he would probably be fined for some comment's he made.

"Don't ever tell me something is going to cost me money. I'm a millionare".

Well .......................Cuban is a BILLIONARE x 2.:hat:

Jafus (Thinker) said:
I think it should be noted, no matter how poor or how rich, if one believes they have truly been (wronged) treated unjust in a particular incident, one should articulate their thoughts on the subject no matter how trivial or unwarranted others think it may be.

:bowdown:

First Amendment SEND HELP! :hat:

WalkWitaPanther said:

Cuban matches every dime he is fined and donates it to charity. The man is a multi billionaire. His investments makes $250,000 each hour.

Cuban will probably get fined for farting if it was left up to Stern. When he fined Cuban for comments he put on his BLOG, I was threw with him.

JR said:
GR,
I see you have to find something to poke at SU about ^^^^^^. Get off my classmate. When JSU has a coach in the NBA........then come holla at a brother. SMH. BTW his SU Education has done him quite well.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that.

Back