JSU's Salter FIRED as expected.

Mr. Tiger

Mr. T
JSU baseball coach Salter let go

The Associated Press

The contract of Jackson State baseball coach Mark Salter will not be renewed past June 30, the school said today, two weeks after JSU was barred the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament for using two ineligible players throughout the season.

Athletic director Bob Braddy had said Salter was suspended with pay until an internal investigation into the use of ineligible players is complete. Braddy, who was named athletic director in February, gave no timetable for resolving the situation. He would not say who is at fault or why ineligible players were allowed to play.

Salter, in his fifth season with the Tigers, was not immediately available for comment. His contract expires June 30.

Sophomore infielder Cedric James and freshman pitcher J.J. Jackson were the ineligible players, Braddy said. James was found to be academically ineligible, Braddy said, while Jackson never cleared the NCAA Clearinghouse, a national organization that must certify the academic eligibility of all incoming athletes.

The Tigers forfeited four games earlier in the season for using another ineligible player, Donte Hill.

Jackson State's record in the SWAC was reduced to 1-23 after finishing 18-6 on the field. The Tigers would have been the third seed from the East in the recently completed SWAC tournament.

http://www.clarionledger.com

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Congrats on Braddy on his swift actions. Dont need to prolong it. Slater knew these players was ineligible. I guess since we was in a transition period with AD's he could do what he did. He knew better than that he know he can hurt the program. Salter played at J-State and should have known better.

I would like to see Mississippi Valley State coach Doug Shanks interviewed for the job. He has made them a winner quickly and he has ties to the Jackson area. That's just off the top of my head.

Mr. Tiger said:
I would like to see Mississippi Valley State coach Doug Shanks interviewed for the job. He has made them a winner quickly and he has ties to the Jackson area. That's just off the top of my head.
Hell will freeze over 20 times before this happens. Shanks is a very good coach. He coached a lot of my friends on semi-pro teams in the summer. But he is widely believed to be the one who turned JSU in to get moved from 1st to 3rd and ultimately out of the tourney.

And like I was telling folk at the tourney, Tony Larussa (St. Louis Cardinals coach) could apply for our job and he wouldn't get it. Didn't go to JSU.

IMHO, he sure lacked poise......... :lol: :emlaugh: ( i blame jsu for that though) :lol: :emlaugh:

Mr. Tiger said:
He!! no.........I wish MVSU would let him go...Blacks don't play baseball as it is,and if a white coach wins the swac in baseball...That would made it worst...I know two good black coaches that would do great at JSU or AAMU...And both have major leauge ties,,,hell WWP would do a great job...

yall could stay in conference and be just as good.....

rumor has it the pitching coach for the Mississippi Braves will backdoor in

Robber said:
Hell will freeze over 20 times before this happens. Shanks is a very good coach. He coached a lot of my friends on semi-pro teams in the summer. But he is widely believed to be the one who turned JSU in to get moved from 1st to 3rd and ultimately out of the tourney.

And like I was telling folk at the tourney, Tony Larussa (St. Louis Cardinals coach) could apply for our job and he wouldn't get it. Didn't go to JSU.

He is a very good coach. I didn't know about the rumor. But I hope we can get beyond this it's GOT to be a JSU guy thing. That's how we got Salter in the first place. Now I am not saying that there are not JSU alums qualified for the job. But I would just like to see a true search for the next coach.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
OnlySU said:
He!! no.........I wish MVSU would let him go...Blacks don't play baseball as it is,and if a white coach wins the swac in baseball...That would made it worst...I know two good black coaches that would do great at JSU or AAMU...And both have major leauge ties,,,hell WWP would do a great job...
Thanks for the compliment............:D :D

Mr. Tiger, I'm sure Shanks would be a good fit if you're ready to say bye-bye to 90% of your black players.......:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Salter is a Stillman alum. He has blown a big time opportunity. The new stadium would have been a big time recruiting tool in the years to come. This year's team would have won the east division without the ineligible players that were used. We may have also lost an opportunity to keep J-Rod in the process. He may have left any way, but with NCAA sanctions likely to follow, I think he's definitely played his last game as a Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Tiger what makes Shanks a good Coach? forget the race issue check out his record against the teams in the west he has not even sniffed at beating any of the SWAC's top teams (PVU,SU,TxSU) hell he hasn't even beat JSU and Alcorn on a regular basis. (Barret Rey) SU's 1st assistant is someone ya'll should look at.:uzi:

Some of you guys don't have a clue.

Salter never attended or played at JSU.

Doug Shanks will not get an interview. Never !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for the person who suggest it your an idiot.

Look for the asst. coach (not a JSU guy) to be named interm he did 99 % of the coaching other then the pitching and you see how who coached that (Salter) and what they did

Unless Rodriguez gets drafted really high(top 15) expect him to be back

JSU will win the 07 SWAC Baseball Championship

If you are a JSU alum fan supporter and you didnt attend a game this year you really shouldnt have a opinion on what what goes on with program. You support the program not the coach.

I heard JSU has been in talks with one of my homies I grew up with in the Jackson area, he's not an Alum and he wants $75,000 to come over. He graduated from USM, hella of a pitcher in his days. I remember watching him pitch against JSU and was dominating until Earl Sanders bouched one off the side of the AAC.

JSU2DEC said:
Some of you guys don't have a clue.

Salter never attended or played at JSU.

Doug Shanks will not get an interview. Never !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for the person who suggest it your an idiot.

Look for the asst. coach (not a JSU guy) to be named interm he did 99 % of the coaching other then the pitching and you see how who coached that (Salter) and what they did

Unless Rodriguez gets drafted really high(top 15) expect him to be back

JSU will win the 07 SWAC Baseball Championship

If you are a JSU alum fan supporter and you didnt attend a game this year you really shouldnt have a opinion on what what goes on with program. You support the program not the coach.

First of all, the name calling is completely unnecessary so you can take that CRAP <---- over to the smackboard. And I didn't say Shanks will get interviewed. I merely said "I would like to see Mississippi Valley State coach Doug Shanks interviewed for the job. He has made them a winner quickly and he has ties to the Jackson area. That's just off the top of my head." I wasn't looking at race issues or the fact he is a white coach. And I didn't say he SHOULD get the job. I was looking at coaches inside the state who are winning.

Why did I mention, Shanks? Here are his accomplishments at Valley.
*Won the SWAC East in 2003
*Most Wins is MVSU History in 2003
*Most SWAC Wins is MVSU History in 2003
*Set 16 Team Records in 2003
*Set 12 Individual Records in 2003
*Won the SWAC East in 2004
*Beat Alcorn and Jackson State several times in 2004
*Finished 32-21 overall and 24-9 in SWAC in 2004
*Mississippi Valley was 10-14 in the SWAC and 10-41 overall in 2002 (that's 0-27 in non-conference before Shanks arrived) and 10-16 and 12-36 in 2001 (2-20 non-conference).

Alcorn State coach Rat McGowan was quoted as saying, "I can't remember when Valley beat Alcorn," McGowan said. "He (Shanks) went in there, got those junior college ball players, had the connections with others schools and put a team together. He's done a fantastic job up there."

stripes said:
:alicia: Didn't Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd play for Jsu and what is he up to these days?

Yeah Oil Can played at JState. I heard he is in some kind of league like a development leaque or something.

Mr. Tiger said:
JSU baseball coach Salter let go

The Associated Press

The contract of Jackson State baseball coach Mark Salter will not be renewed past June 30, the school said today, two weeks after JSU was barred the Southwestern Athletic Conference tournament for using two ineligible players throughout the season.

Athletic director Bob Braddy had said Salter was suspended with pay until an internal investigation into the use of ineligible players is complete. Braddy, who was named athletic director in February, gave no timetable for resolving the situation. He would not say who is at fault or why ineligible players were allowed to play.

Salter, in his fifth season with the Tigers, was not immediately available for comment. His contract expires June 30.

Sophomore infielder Cedric James and freshman pitcher J.J. Jackson were the ineligible players, Braddy said. James was found to be academically ineligible, Braddy said, while Jackson never cleared the NCAA Clearinghouse, a national organization that must certify the academic eligibility of all incoming athletes.

The Tigers forfeited four games earlier in the season for using another ineligible player, Donte Hill.

Jackson State's record in the SWAC was reduced to 1-23 after finishing 18-6 on the field. The Tigers would have been the third seed from the East in the recently completed SWAC tournament.

http://www.clarionledger.com

Who didn't see that comming.
He knew he was fired the day he was suspended.:smug2:

Back