jsue players get Spiders..........

STRAWDOG

JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050808/SPORTS030101/5080

August 8, 2005

Tigers arrive en masse for season

# Previously thin ranks filled out with about 90 players reporting, including 13 treasured O-linemen

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Bell

Ryan Hopkins got a little more than he bargained when he checked into his dorm room at Alexander Hall on Sunday.

"My friend and I walked in and there was a little web of spiders," Hopkins said. "Man, I don't like spiders! That kinda got things started off on the wrong foot."

Despite the rather inauspicious start, everything else went according to plan for Hopkins, who was one of approximately 90 Jackson State football players who reported to campus for fall practice.

The players, after checking into their respective dorms, were treated to a cookout by the Blue Bengals Booster Club at 5:30 p.m., and then they attended a team meeting at 7.

The overall numbers are up considerably from the spring, and that applies to the offensive line, as well. Hopkins, a 6-foot-4, 310-pound transfer from Northeast Miss. CC, is one of a handful of offensive line newcomers, doubling the Tigers' numbers up front.

That influx of talent should serve JSU well in terms of ability, competition in practice and depth. If Hopkins and Co. had been on board in the spring, there may have been a spring game. As it was, the spring game was called off because the Tigers didn't have enough offensive linemen to field two units.

They enter fall practice with a minimum of 13, including the return of All-SWAC performer Albert Stinson, who sat out last year because of academic reasons.

"That was an emphasis of ours, no doubt," JSU coach James Bell said. "Naturally, you never get as many as you want, but we got enough. We like the group we have.

"Now it's up to us to work with them, see who's going to be on the right side, who's going to be on the left, who's best at center. And they've got to learn the system. We're going to spend extra time with them to make sure that happens."

JSU lost three starters along the offensive line. Stinson is going to occupy one of those spots, leaving the other two, and possibly more, up for grabs leading into the Sept. 3 season opener against Hampton in Detroit.

Contenders include Reggie Harper of Hinds CC, Darrell Washington of Copiah-Lincoln CC and Louisiana Tech transfer Glen Mason, who is likely to fill the void at center left by the departure of Chris Bates.

"I'm sure everybody coming in is expecting to start," Hopkins said. "We know that's not going to happen. Training camp is going to settle a lot of those disputes. I plan on coming in with a positive attitude, and hopefully everything will work out for the best."

Things haven't turned out so well for JSU the past two seasons. The Tigers are a combined 6-17 in Bell's first two seasons, a fact that didn't deter Hopkins from signing with JSU.

"All the guys coming in, we just look at it like the first two years have been a learning experience for Coach Bell and the players who have been here," Hopkins said. "All he needs to do is get guys in here who fit his system and believe in his system."

Hopkins has good reason to be optimistic. At Jim Hill, where he was coached by current JSU quarterbacks coach Darrell Jones, the Tigers improved from 2-9 his sophomore year to 9-2 his senior year. And, at Northeast, the Tigers went 7-2 his second year after a 3-6 mark the year before.

"This is my third set of Tigers, and I've been apart of helping the first two turn things around so I don't see why it can't be done here," Hopkins said.

Hopkins was a two-year starter at left tackle while at Northeast, where he played in more of a passing offense. He said the JSU coaches have talked to him about starting out at right tackle. "It shouldn't be that much of an adjustment," he said.

Reginald Green, one of two returning starters, welcomes the arrival of Hopkins and Co.

"I feel like the more numbers we have, the better our situation is going to be," Green said.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

OOOOOOK?????

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
coldsweat said:
Pulling for straws eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: Keep pullin Strawdog, keep pullin! :lmao:

I don't have to pull...........Chief 'running clock ding dong' and the laughia provide an ample amount.........................just keep 'em comin'! :wavey:

Scrawpup,

If you scared, say you scared....this was low, even for you. You won't believe the talent that we have in Jackson.

STRAWDOG said:
I don't have to pull...........Chief 'running clock ding dong' and the laughia provide an ample amount.........................just keep 'em comin'! :wavey:

:shame: :smh:

C-LeB28 said:
Those spiders crawled out of the football trophy case. :lol:

I just know a person from TiSsUe did note mention football and trophy case in the same sentence! :scared: :lol: :lol:

staggalee83 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

32-3-1........................... Figure out what those numbers mean. :lol:

32 represents the number of players that suited up for Spring ball.

3 represents last years wins.

1 represents how many supporters Bell have.

C-LeB28 said:

You forgot 1 number ......... :idea: ...............0!!
The number of victories Texas Sorry have over BELL. :D

coldsweat said:
I just know a person from TiSsUe did note mention football and trophy case in the same sentence! :scared: :lol: :lol:

We are not a football school (and no longer is JSU).

C-LeB28 said:

32 represents the number of players we need to suit up when we play TiSsUe.

3 represents the number of scholarships TiSsUe has to spread around to 63 athletes

1 represents the number of times TiSsUe has beat the Mighty Tigers in the past decade.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
staggalee83 said:
You forgot 1 number ......... :idea: ...............0!!
The number of victories Texas Sorry have over BELL. :D

:lmao:

"Every thing is big in Texas." :lol:

Scraw, is this all you have? A story on a spider web inside a room of the football dorm? And because one of our starters said that welcomes the challenge that our 13 new linemen will present him, you are confused? Dude, you need to check with your comrad, MD, to see if he will extend his classes for a few more weeks. You evidently didnt get something the first time.

:shame: @ Scraw for not taking advantage of MD's summer skills. And I'm sure MD wouldnt have charged full price since your an alumni.

C-LeB28 said:
We are not a football school (and no longer is JSU).

Self-smack huh! :lol: :lol: I aint gone let you take the easy road now fool! :lol: :lol:

TiSsUe got the nerves to mention football period! :shame: :lol:

Blacknbengal said:
Scraw, is this all you have? A story on a spider web inside a room of the football dorm? And because one of our starters said that welcomes the challenge that our 13 new linemen will present him, you are confused? Dude, you need to check with your comrad, MD, to see if he will extend his classes for a few more weeks. You evidently didnt get something the first time.

:shame: @ Scraw for not taking advantage of MD's summer skills. And I'm sure MD wouldnt have charged full price since your an alumni.

Beans...........
"You ain't mad...are you"?

Typical laughia bullsnit. It's alright for the laughia to post every tidbit they can find (or conjure up with their vivid imagination) regarding the other schools in the SWAC BUT whoa...........let someone else post The TRUTH about the sad state of events going on at jsue, then the laughia comes on the board acting like it should never have been reported. Most of the bullsnit that is reported on TSPN comes from the luaghia............so you can expect everything that is reported in the Clarion-Ledger regarding the hapless 'tiny tiggers', to be on TSPN in some form or another. :nod: :nod: :nod:

STRAWDOG said:
let someone else post The TRUTH about the sad state of events going on at jsue,
The truth? What truth have you posted Scraw? That when one of the players reported to his dorm room that there was a spider web in there? That we have 13 offensive linemen reporting for fall training and one of our starters are welcoming them with open arms? Dude, you havent seen anywhere on here that we have been glorifying that we now have an abundance of offensive linemen like some who was exalting all their 8 QBs they had on the roster last year.

Dude, you need really let MD proof read and red line your posts from now on.

Moderators,

Why is this thread still on this board??? The title itself screams smack. Move this mess to the Smack Board where it belongs.

JSU players got spiders. A&M players got F's. A bunch of 'em. Dumbasses!!!

Robber said:
Moderators,

Why is this thread still on this board??? The title itself screams smack. Move this mess to the Smack Board where it belongs.

JSU players got spiders. A&M players got F's. A bunch of 'em. Dumbasses!!!

Now thats gotta hurt!! :goof: :goof: :goof:

The truth always do. :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Back