Jimmy Smith Announces Retirement from NFL

enswaclopedia said:
Great career; Yes. HOF; I don't think so. He has the stats to make it but was there ever a time in his career that you can honestly say that he was one of the top 3 wr's in the game. The drug thing and the fact that he played in J'ville will cost him votes.
From '97 to '01, Smith was amongst the very best at his position. He led the league in catches in '99 or '00, and was second in yards that same year. And I remember seeing a stat showing for a 5 year period, he was no. 1 at receptions and yardage. So, there was a time when I think he was considered amongst the top 3 WR's in the game, even though I hardly think that's the standard for a position that routinely has 4-5 guys on the field at one time.

I saw that Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser said on PTI that they thought Jimmy was an HOF'er. I hope they vote. I'm sure we'll get to see the sentiment over the next day or two.

Jimmy Smith is a defnite HOF. :tup: :tup: :tup:

He represented Jackson St., The SWAC and HBCU Football well. :)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SAME OLD G said:
All-Time Leading Receivers

(Through 2005)
<TABLE class=sgmltable border=1><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=right>Rank</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=left>Player</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Number of
receptions
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=left>Player</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=right>Receiving Yards</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>1.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Jerry Rice </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>1,549</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Jerry Rice</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>22,895</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>2.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Cris Carter </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>1,101</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Tim Brown</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>14,934</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>3.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Tim Brown</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>1,094</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>James Lofton</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>14,004</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>4.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Andre Reed </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>951</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Cris Carter</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>13,899</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>5.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Art Monk </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>940</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Henry Ellard</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>13,777</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>6.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Marvin Harrison</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>927</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Andre Reed</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>13,198</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>7.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Jimmy Smith</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>862</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Steve Largent</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>13,089</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>8.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Irving Fryar </TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>851</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Irving Fryar</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>12,785</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>9.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Larry Centers</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>826</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Art Monk</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>12,721</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>10.</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Keenan McCardell</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>825</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Marvin Harrison</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>12,331</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Bold Print = Active Players

How many of these WRs are in the HOF?

Here are the wide receivers/ends that are in the HOF; so as you can see, it isn't all about stats:

Morris (Red) Badgro 1927, 1930-1936
Guy Chamberlin 1919-1928
Ray Flaherty 1926-1929, 1931-1935
George Halas 1920-1928
Bill Hewitt 1932-1939, 1943
Don Hutson 1935-1945
Wayne Millner 1936-1941, 1945
Lance Alworth 1962-1972
Raymond Berry 1955-1967
Fred Biletnikoff 1965-1978
Tom Fears 1948-1956
Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch (also HB) 1946-1956
Charlie Joiner 1969-1986
Steve Largent 1976-1989
Dante Lavelli 1946-1956
James Lofton 1978-1993
Don Maynard 1958, 1960-1973
Tommy McDonald 1957-1968
Bobby Mitchell (also HB) 1958-1968
Pete Pihos 1947-1955
John Stallworth 1974-1987
Lynn Swann 1974-1982
Charley Taylor (also HB) 1964-1975, 1977
Paul Warfield 1964-1977

And remember one more thing people........................Jimmy Smith did all this basically without the FIRST 3 YEARS OF HIS CAREAR.:nod:

He did not play for the FIRST 3 YEARS because of of a kidney ailment then a broken leg.:nod:

Tell me again how he has not had a HOF carear.:lecture: ;)

staggalee83 said:
1 mis-hap in his carear...................It's safe to say he learn his lesson.
Doubt he will do something that dumb again.

Not that it matters to me either way but he had more than 1 mis-hap.

staggalee83 said:
And remember one more thing people........................Jimmy Smith did all this basically without the FIRST 3 YEARS OF HIS CAREAR.:nod:

He did not play for the FIRST 3 YEARS because of of a kidney ailment then a broken leg.:nod:

Tell me again how he has not had a HOF carear.:lecture: ;)

Didn't he break the leg first and then had the apendectomy next(remember his folks going off on the Cowboys about their lack of concern ? Afterwards he had complications that kept him out for his second year. The third year was a wash because Philly cut him. So yeah he did miss 3 years. He will eventually get to the HOF. He just will not be first ballot. It will take him some time. Art Monk has rings and the numbers and he still isn't there, which is a travesty. Then you got to get Andre Reed in, Then of course Cris Carter and Tim Brown will go. Michael Irvin is still out there. Jerry RIce has a few years left before he's eligible. Jimmy will be like Irving Fryar and have to wait. Some of the WRs that don't have his numbers are in the Hall because of who they played for......meaning they played in the SB or when they retired their numbers were Hall worthy at the time. The game has changed so the WRs are putting up bigger numbers which will make it harder for them to get in the HOF. Even Henry Ellard has numbers and he isn't close to getting in.

Also one other thing to consider is that Jimmy will also be competing in the same class for the Hall as Deion Sanders and Jerome Bettis, who are locks. So it isn't about just him competing with other WRs to get in. Now that the HOF only takes 4-6 folks every year. The competition is getting fierce. Darrell Green, Bruce Smith, Aneas Williams, and some others I probably missed. Heck Thurman Thomas is still out there. I sincerely hope Jimmy get's in, but after looking at the competition for votes, he is going to have a battle. He'll get in eventually though. :nod:

What a lot of you don't realize is that by the time Smith is eligible for the HOF there will be others who will have passed him. Those receivers in the Hall that have fewer catches and yards played in an era where the passing game wasn't as dominant as it is now. Another thing you have to remember is that the Jaguars were dominated in both AFC Championship games they were in. Smith was a non-factor in those games. A wr from Jacksonville will have to have Jerry Rice stats or a Randy Moss highlight package in order to make it to the HOF without a Super Bowl Ring.

The only players I see passing him in the next 5 years are Randy Moss and Terrell Owens...and they both still need at least 2000 yards and 200 catches.. you never know if you can get to that before something happens in football.

Another thing you have to remember is that the Jaguars were dominated in both AFC Championship games they were in.

A WR has to have the ball thrown to him to succeed. Weren't the teams they lost to KILLING Mark Brunell in those games?

JR said:
Didn't he break the leg first and then had the apendectomy next(remember his folks going off on the Cowboys about their lack of concern ? Afterwards he had complications that kept him out for his second year. The third year was a wash because Philly cut him. So yeah he did miss 3 years. He will eventually get to the HOF. He just will not be first ballot. It will take him some time. Art Monk has rings and the numbers and he still isn't there, which is a travesty. Then you got to get Andre Reed in, Then of course Cris Carter and Tim Brown will go. Michael Irvin is still out there. Jerry RIce has a few years left before he's eligible. Jimmy will be like Irving Fryar and have to wait. Some of the WRs that don't have his numbers are in the Hall because of who they played for......meaning they played in the SB or when they retired their numbers were Hall worthy at the time. The game has changed so the WRs are putting up bigger numbers which will make it harder for them to get in the HOF. Even Henry Ellard has numbers and he isn't close to getting in.

Also one other thing to consider is that Jimmy will also be competing in the same class for the Hall as Deion Sanders and Jerome Bettis, who are locks. So it isn't about just him competing with other WRs to get in. Now that the HOF only takes 4-6 folks every year. The competition is getting fierce. Darrell Green, Bruce Smith, Aneas Williams, and some others I probably missed. Heck Thurman Thomas is still out there. I sincerely hope Jimmy get's in, but after looking at the competition for votes, he is going to have a battle. He'll get in eventually though. :nod:

These are excellent points.

enswaclopedia said:
What a lot of you don't realize is that by the time Smith is eligible for the HOF there will be others who will have passed him. Those receivers in the Hall that have fewer catches and yards played in an era where the passing game wasn't as dominant as it is now. Another thing you have to remember is that the Jaguars were dominated in both AFC Championship games they were in. Smith was a non-factor in those games. A wr from Jacksonville will have to have Jerry Rice stats or a Randy Moss highlight package in order to make it to the HOF without a Super Bowl Ring.
Don't act like it's easy to amass those numbers. Smith has outcaught all thoses guys you talk about passing him. Harrison is the only WR in the league now that has caught more balls than Smith since '97, and he's already ahead of Smith career wise. There may be one or two guys. The HOF has guys in there from scrub teams that didn't win jack. I don't believe he'll get in on the first ballot, but he will get in.

I'd vote for him... he's HOF caliber. Hope he can stay visible (positively) cuz out of sight often means out of mine. Mike Irvin will make it on his numbers, but being on that dayum show all the time will help keep his name in the media. I'm pulling for Smith because he is deserving...and he's a SWAC guy.

I hope he does get in, but there is one thing that I have already heard people say (on TV) that may stop him from getting in...No RINGS!

SAME OLD G said:
I hope he does get in, but there is one thing that I have already heard people say (on TV) that may stop him from getting in...No RINGS!
I hear that argument alot, but it's hardly fair in a team sport. Especially a sport that depends on 35 or more players every game. And then to apply that standard to a WR. And then to apply that standard to a WR that made his mark on and expansion team. But then, he was a Dallas Cowboy when the Cowboys won the back to back titles. So it's false to say that he doesn't have a ring. He got two.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Robber said:
I hear that argument alot, but it's hardly fair in a team sport. Especially a sport that depends on 35 or more players every game. And then to apply that standard to a WR. And then to apply that standard to a WR that made his mark on and expansion team. But then, he was a Dallas Cowboy when the Cowboys won the back to back titles. So it's false to say that he doesn't have a ring. He got two.

Make sure yall do what you can to get him in the Mississippi Hall of Fame and hopefully it will steamroll from there. I always was impressed with Jimmy Smith (as a collegian and as a pro)...although his azz pissed me off those years when he beat my GMen. A homeboy of mine said he was on the sideline in Jackson one year when Smith had a monster game. He said after the second catch on a deep out route, Smith turned to Coach Rob and said "Hey Coach, glad to meet ya...but, welcome to the Jimmy Smith Show".

JR said:
Congrats to my fellow Callaway High alum for a job well done in the NFL.

Me and Jimmy go back a long way. Way before Callaway. We go all the way back to Holy Family Catholic School on Forest Avenue.

:tup::tup:

MikeBigg said:
Make sure yall do what you can to get him in the Mississippi Hall of Fame and hopefully it will steamroll from there.

He'll be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame before he gets into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame. It's usually 10-15 years before someone gets elected.

Back