Jermaine Taylor VS Winky Wright.

Taylor is one of the worse big name fighters I have ever seen. He has not flat out won a fight in two years.

Sooner or later, he is going to be exposed as a true con-man of a fighter and some true middleweight is going to beat the brakes off him.

Get Ready said:
Winky didnt win that fight cause he backed off after the 9th round. He must have gotten a message from above saying that the fight would be his if he was standing at the end of the 12th.

Taylor couldnt see from the 8th on...Winky was tagging him in the 9th, almost knocked him down.....but decided to go on vacation for the last 3 rounds. For the whole fight Winky would back him in the corner and go to work. In the last 3 rounds he backed Taylor in the corner and just stood there.

GR HATES the way Lampley and Merchant call the fight. They Always pull for the HBO fighter. Winky was tagging Taylor but they would say nothing. Taylor would hit Winky on the arms and they would pretend like he was killing Winky. They had that bad for De La Hoya.

Exactly what I thought. I look at this fight several times to make sure of what I saw. I thought that Winky stop fighting the last three rounds especially the 12th round. Somehow he thought he had it in the bag. When fighting a champ you got to finish. I thought he won the fight but you know he gave it away. Taylor have survive the last several fights that I really thought he didnt win. One thing I can say about Taylor if he had continue to fight in the middle of the ring he would have probably won. For as Merchant he is always IMO going against what Lederman say on his score card. I dont like Merchant he think he knows more than the trainers or anybody.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Taylor did well in the middle of the ring because Winky allowed him to do whatever he did. Those punches weren't really landing. Taylor threw a bunch of punches that was getting blocked. Don't let the HBO crew fool ya. I don't know if Taylor outlanded Winky in any round of the fight. He threw harder punches, but you don't win just because you punch harder.

I had Winky winning the fight. It was close but Winky was forcing the action and landing the cleaner shots. Taylor was catching a lot of arm and gloves with his shots.
Winky did take the 12th round off but did Taylor do enough to win that round. Taylor didn't land many blows that round. And I don't blame Winky for not wanting a rematch.
I believe he knows what I know and that is if Stewart has more time with Taylor it would be a different fight. Taylor was much better in the center of the ring and Stewart would make sure he followed instructions in a rematch.
Winky is just not strong enough to stand toe-to-toe in the center of the ring. And he knows that now and so he can take his draw and challenge one of the other title holders and take that belt and make money because the average boxing fan now knows the name Winky Wright.

Re: Jerome Taylor VS Winky Wright.

bluedog said:
A challenger never wins a close fight against a champion. The rule of thumb has always been that you have to clearly beat the champion to take his belt

That certainly wasn't the case in the first Hopkins - Taylor fight. There's been several instances where a champion lost his crown via close decision. Mosley - De la Hoya 1 comes to mind also.

However in this case, I agree with the draw. There was no other real way to score the fight. Yes Winky outlanded Taylor overall, but Taylor did land the harder punches. You could see Winky was hurt on several occassions. That carries a lot of weight with a judge sitting at ringside. The impact of a punch on the fighter is something that we really can't guage at home. One hard shot by Taylor mattered more to the judges than 5 jabs by Winky. And I don't remember Winky hurting Taylor.

If you are the challenger you have to challenge. They are not gonna give you the fight because you felt you won in earlier rounds and you slack off at the end. You have to fight the whole fight if you are the challenger.

GRs theory holds up yet again

Boxers that turn into rappers actors and singers lose their edge. Winky didnt finish a guy he should have destroyed at the end cause he was too busy making love songs with Jamie Fox.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir here because most seemed to have seen what I saw Saturday. And the common theme amongst posts says it best......

You have to beat the champion. Sure you can point out a few, scattered instances where a champion has lost a close or contreversial decision to a challenger but those are few and far between.

Bottom line, What the h*ll was Winky thinking about at the end. The last 2 rounds really. I mean, does he really think he was just running away and hiding with a decision at that point. I mean, it wasn't like he was straight schooling Taylor like Hopkins did Tarver. It was obviously a close fight from anyones vantige point throughout the whole battle. How do you dance for the last 2 rounds of a world title fight, when you are the challenger, then get pissed and run to the dressing room like an *ss !

Bottom line, Winky Blew it !!!!

Back