Jermaine Taylor VS Winky Wright.

pbla

Focus
Anybody in the area going to Memphis? I will be watching it on HBO. This will be a tough fight.

Re: Jerome Taylor VS Winky Wright.

pbla said:
Anybody in the area going to Memphis? I will be watching it on HBO. This will be a tough fight.

I got Taylor in 6 rounds. I predicted Hopkins to win in 7 rounds to Tarver so I am usually right on my fights.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

pbla said:

I got Taylor in 6 and I predicted Hopkins to beat Tarver.

Re: Jermain Taylor VS Winky Wright.

blownup said:
Who is Jerome Taylor?

:lol: Yeah I knew I fugged up when I saw it. Can't correct the title for some reason,I'll try again. Moderators help!

DonTiger said:
Wright over Taylor in a close decision.

Wright can punch but Jermaine's arms are so long and power is so real that once he throws punch three to four will come back and hit his face. Hopkins face the same thing and Wright is no Hopkins. So how and the hell is Winky going to beat Jermaine. You got to be out of your fu--------- mind.

uapbpower said:
Wright can punch but Jermaine's arms are so long and power is so real that once he throws punch three to four will come back and hit his face. Hopkins face the same thing and Wright is no Hopkins. So how and the hell is Winky going to beat Jermaine. You got to be out of your fu--------- mind.

We'll see about that. I can remember watching another long armed, younger fighter this past weekend get his clocked cleaned by an older, smaller man.

You must not have watched either of Taylor's Hopkins fights. I didn't see any 'power that was so real'. And you're right, Winky aint no Hopkins, HE'S EVEN QUICKER WITH BETTER DEFENSE.

Get your mind right boy. Betting on Taylor Saturday is just....well.... foolish !

It seems like you don't know anything about boxing. Taylor is a very skilled fighter and he beat the best. Winky has never faced anybody with a long reach like Jermaine plus Memphis is his hometown. You think he is going to dissapoint the home town crowd(nope). Wake up and smell the Coffee and go learn something about boxing. Everbody knows that Jermaine whoop Hopkins but you.

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :swink:

Wright W12 Taylor.

I predict Wright to make Taylor to look bad, while giving a boxing lesson. Won't be as bad as he beat Tito, but I'm guessing 8 rounds to 4.

I dunno, I'm going with "Winky Wright" too. I wish I could run downtown to the forum, I just got too much stuff going on so I will have to catch it on HBO.

Wright by KO...probably fairly early at that. It's always bad when a young fighter fights in his home town. There are too many distractions and Wright is going to be there to take advantage of that. Besides, Wright is too clever for Jermaine. And Jermaine's chin is very, VERY suspect in my book.

I remember Holyfield nearly getting knocked out by Bert Cooper when he fought in his home town of Atlanta (mysterious 8 count despite not having one in this sanctioned bout saved him). I also remember Tommy Morrison getting KOED by Michael Bentt in his hometown in Oklahoma.

Young champion....home town....tricky Southpaw opponent....it all adds up to disaster to me.

I like Winky in a decision. Taylor should look better than he did against Hopkins now that he has Emanuel Steward in his corner, but I don't think it will be enough to beat Winky. If Winky wins I don't know if there is another big pay day for him unless he goes back down to fight De La Hoya, or goes up to fight Hopkins that's if Hopkins doesn't stick to his "retirement."

NICE

I would have said Wright before Taylor got Stewart in his corner. Stewart is so good he can make a champion out of Mr. Tiger :lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Mr. Tiger said:
I would have said Wright before Taylor got Stewart in his corner. Stewart is so good he can make a champion out of Mr. Tiger :lol:
That's something to think about...we'll see

Great fight. Plenty of action. I thought Winky did enough to win, but I can see where someone else might have had Taylor ahead. It's just that I refuse to penalize a boxer because his punch ain't as hard as his opponents. To me, Taylor's punches were hitting a lot of glove, while Winky was tagging him more effectively.

Both guys put forth great effort. Considering the location, Winky should not have coasted at the end. I hated how Lampley spent all that time after the scores were announced claiming how the judge that gave Winky the 12 round created the draw, when the truth was Winky couldn't have lost that fight even if all the judges gave it to Taylor. If the judge had given the last round to Taylor there was still gonna be a majority draw. So, Winky really gave the fight away. Had he won the last round clearly, he would be champ today. And neither fighter did a damn thing in that last round. I scored that one even.

Robber said:
Great fight.

Had he won the last round clearly, he would be champ today. And neither fighter did a damn thing in that last round. I scored that one even.

I agree on both points. Winky needed a better showing in the 12th round to win this fight. He looked as if he knew he had in the bag and just coasted through the round.

I think Wright should have won a close decision. While Taylor was the bigger puncher and his punches made a nice crowd-pleasing pop, most of them hit Wright in the hands, arms, and shoulders. Wright landed clean shots with more frequency and accuracy, and controlled the tempo of the fight. While he should have fought more in the 12th round, especially with the condition of Taylor's left eye, Taylor did even less. His other mistake was allowing Taylor to steal some of the early rounds with flurries in the last 20-30 seconds. He probably ended up losing 2 rounds on the scorecards that he should have won.

cat daddy said:
I agree on both points. Winky needed a better showing in the 12th round to win this fight. He looked as if he knew he had in the bag and just coasted through the round.

Exactly!! :nod2: As that old saying goes, "when in doubt......"

Winky lost this fight in the 12th round. Simple as that. I had this fight even across the board just like Lederman did! :nod2: It'll be an interesting rematch because the fighters will have had a feel for one another. I think Taylor will come out victorious though! The power that he had behind his punches was amazing! :scared: Winky's forearms should have bruises on them until next month from trying to block them all night. :lol:

A challenger never wins a close fight against a champion. The rule of thumb has always been that you have to clearly beat the champion to take his belt and all of the judges including the ringside announcers saw that as a close fight and all giving it to Taylor and one a draw.

I agree.

This was an excellent fight. I think it's an unwritten rule that you have to knock out a champion or be the more agressor to be at a champion. If Winky had fought in the 12th round he would have won the fight. If there is a rematch it will HBO pay per view next time. Winky said he does not want a rematch,I think he just emotional upset to think clearly.

I really didn't like how Winky acted after the fight. That interview with Larry Merchant was terrible. I don't even want to fight him anymore.....wth???? Emmanuel Stewart kept telling Jermain to keep the fight in the middle of the ring where he was wearing Winky out, Jermain didn't listen and it almost costed him. What's the purpose of having a cornerman if u aren't gonna listen to him?

Winky didnt win that fight cause he backed off after the 9th round. He must have gotten a message from above saying that the fight would be his if he was standing at the end of the 12th.

Taylor couldnt see from the 8th on...Winky was tagging him in the 9th, almost knocked him down.....but decided to go on vacation for the last 3 rounds. For the whole fight Winky would back him in the corner and go to work. In the last 3 rounds he backed Taylor in the corner and just stood there.

GR HATES the way Lampley and Merchant call the fight. They Always pull for the HBO fighter. Winky was tagging Taylor but they would say nothing. Taylor would hit Winky on the arms and they would pretend like he was killing Winky. They had that bad for De La Hoya.

Back