Jay Roberson

zac1

I am always the last to hear things, but someone told me yesterday that Jay Roberson has left the SWAC. Is that true and where did he go?

I could be wrong but I thought I read something about him getting a job in the UAB athletic department. If I find something, I will post a link.

Found it, thanks

Jay Roberson Hired As New Associate Director of Athletics
Roberson comes to Samford from the Southwestern Athletic Conference

April 15, 2005

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Samford University has hired Jay Roberson as its new associate director of athletics for External Operations, Director of Athletics Bob Roller announced Friday.

"It's an opportunity for me to be on campus and to get the exposure for a great institution in Birmingham," Roberson said. "Bob Roller has done a tremendous job of leadership in the administration here.

"The foundation has been set by Janet Cone (former Assistant AD, now AD at UNC Asheville) and Alan Verlander (former Associate AD, now AD at Jacksonville)," Roberson said. "It's just coming in now and creating a new spirit for athletics and helping to create a great student-athlete experience at Samford."

While at Samford, Roberson will be in charge of all external operations, including marketing, sports information and broadcasting. He will work mainly with corporate sponsorships and fund-raising.

"Jay is extremely well respected in this market," Roller said. "He is ready to dig in and assist us in fund-raising and corporate marketing."

Roberson comes to Samford after serving as an assistant commissioner for the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) since 2002. While with the SWAC, Roberson served as the director for the conference's football championship game and basketball tournament.

Here is the rest of the article

I think this has been in the making for some time now. He was very hesitant about making any comments about the future of the SWAC tournaments during the Basketball Tourney. I guess he knew he wouldn't be with the SWAC much longer.

Back