James Bell still recruiting.....

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
Jackson State football coach James Bell is still on the recruiting trail. Not only is he looking for players, he's also looking for assistant coaches.

With spring practice right around the corner, Bell has three, possibly four, vacancies to fill. Offensive coordinator Leon Perry (fired/resigned), wide receivers coach Robert Kelly (retired), offensive line coach Bob Bodine (took job at Bethune-Cookman) won't return next season. Defensive backs coach Tehran Carpenter, who Bell says is dealing with "personal" issues, may not return, either.

That's a lot of turnover for one staff. Yet, Bell doesn't seemed fazed. He said he expects to have all those positions filled by the time spring practice begins in late March or early April. A specific date hasn't been determined yet.

"As far as who I'm going to hire, there's nothing definite right now," Bell said earlier this week. "I've got phone calls coming in all the time, and I'm scanning resumes as they come in.

"We've got a lot of good applicants so far. It's just a matter of doing background checks, resume checks and going from there. It's important to hire the best person available for the openings we have. Hopefully, we'll have those spots filled real shortly."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050227/SPORTS030101/502270405/1025/SPORTS

Yep we need some coaches. 3 full-time openings. Luckily we aren't looking to change the offensive system. So we don't have to worry about the players having to pick up an entirely new system with limited time. Still its not an ideal situation.

JSU/99 said:
Yep we need some coaches. 3 full-time openings. Luckily we aren't looking to change the offensive system.
With what i saw in New Orleans and with what happened in mobile, a new offense would be good idea. Maybe bell can borrow one Hughes playbooks.

Lewis said:
With what i saw in New Orleans and with what happened in mobile, a new offense would be good idea. Maybe bell can borrow one Hughes playbooks.

Lewis, I have no idea what happened in those games. Some people say Bell runs the show despite having an OC...we shall see.

...and in my opinion, a screen is a screen, a flare is a flare and a draw is a draw...it just depends on execution and calling the play at the right time. If our staff can COACH, already having our system in place is a big plus for us. This was why Bell wanted to install his own system because as coaches come and go, the system stays the same.

Lewis said:
With what i saw in New Orleans and with what happened in mobile, a new offense would be good idea.
With what I saw in Mobile, a new offense isnt the only thing that would be a good idea.
:idea:

Back