Jafus get your tale in here!!!!

DAHILL said:
I aint read nothing about none of them in a news article... there may have been an article about the Whiz when he retired but other than that... nada.
Ben Jobe was featured in GQ after Georgia Tech win. He also led SU to a No.21 ranking in the top 25 poll in 1991. Im not sure but I think that has been the only time a HBCU has been ranked. I also remember Alcorn St. going undefeated one year, although I was very young at the time, and getting screwed out of the tournament.

bluedog said:
Dude Pettaway nor any coach in the SWAC can hold a candle to Ben Jobe, Robert Moreland, Andy Stoglin or Dave Whitney at the same time in their career.

I'm sorry but I don't think Andy stoglin belongs in this group. I've watched Andy screw up some good Jackson State teams over the years.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I thought A&M was in trouble in the first half of this game. They were settling for to many outside shots while Oakland was getting easy baskets on the inside. Very few teams can win games from beyond the three point line.

I packed it in when the announcer said Pettaway (told the announcer) said they needed extra time to prepare and Oakland had a week to prepare. Now the SWAC Tournament is too long...damn...

Officials called a tight game and took A&M's ability to steal and run from them.....they made it an inside game and that was the difference. We had officials call it like that against A&M last season and we won.

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

I would like to just drop in on this for a moment....... Why the SWAC and HBCUs have a difficult time competing with the other schools is the big word - "RESOURCES". Resources in funding, networking, educating and management.
1. Funding - Most of our alumni are not in positions in there careers that they can make large contributions to our schools but we can do better with the contributions we receive and solicit contributions from all alumni and other supportors.

2. Networking - Every graduate of a HBCU should be recruiters for their HBCU and all the others. We must get out in the communities and sell "US" every opportunity we have. We must take some days off and designate them for speaking at elementary and secondary school to sell our children on HBCUs. We have to get to the recreational leagues, AAU and others sports/events our children participate and sell HBCU. We have to start holding "Educational Days" just to prep the little minds. We have to attend sporting events in our community and "Recruit" for our coaches. We need to NETWORK with the High School Coaches. This is our Responsibility!

3. Educating - We have to do some "RETRAINING" of the educated and TRAINING of the uneducated. Retraining the educated to think a HBCU education is not an inferior education and you can succeed whether you go to an HBCU or another institution. We have to think of not going to work for someone but to go to work for ourselves. We have to pool our little funds together and support us - one at a time. If I am in business for myself, my people support me then I can employ you, your momma, etc.....get my drift. We can start a savings and lending system like the Muslims.

Part Two of educating is educating the uneducated. Getting parents to stop thinking about riding the bank account of the children's sporting future. The can get exposure at a HBCU. Yes, for a moment they are going to attempt to ignore us but when our top players go to a HBCU and we start "whooping" on that head the media and money will then come. Then our players making it send their resources back we will then be in business.

Lastly, Management. We have got to obtain and retain ethical visionary managers at our HBCUs. Ethical meaning proper managing of funds and resources at all our HBCUs. Tight accountability of all school funds, Boards that will not tolerate any mismanagement or questionable expeditures and alumni that will not tolerate complacent Board members that sweep unethical behavior under the rug. Managing of our academic and administering of programs. We have got to stepup customer service in serving our students. Registration and Financial Aid process a "Breeze", transcript request - expediant, solving various student problems ----at your service. Beefing up our academic programs and hiring professors that can really teach and caring about the entire student. Visionary management by adding, improving and moving the institution beyond our competitors and networking with our entrepreneurs to provide the much need support.

I have a lot to stay and excuse any errors but this is just a start and you know what I am saying...... :idea:

Len Elmore, the brotha announcer ( I hope that's his name) made the comment that AAMU's mistakes were bad habits not corrected in middle school.

pbla said:
Len Elmore, the brotha announcer ( I hope that's his name) made the comment that AAMU's mistakes were bad habits not corrected in middle school.

SMH

I believe that many posters have great points. Hence, multiple reasons exist. Here are my thoughts:

1) I agree with the poster from tsu. Our post play is a HUGE problem.
2) I was very disappointed in Petteway's pre-game speech. I did not like the energy and a fire was not lit that would translate to the players. Further, I like bandfan concur that the negative comment about "not enough time to prepare and they had time to study us and know everything we are doing" (if the announcer quoted him correctly) was an embarrassment.
3) Oakland's team gave other coaches in the SWAC a text book lesson in breaking A&M press.
4) Smiley post has quite a bit of credence.
5) I don't want to be ugly (today) but believe SWAC coaches can do a better job of getting personnel.
6) Props must be given to A&M for winning the conference title. However, our entire conference has much work to do to get better (obviously including A&M).
7) There is no DAMN CONSPIRACY! When the SWAC schedules better and land a higher caliber of athlete, the play in game will be avoided.
8) I believe that basketball started to decline dramatically in the SWAC somewhere between the last 5 to 9 years.

JROCK said:
I believe that many posters have great points. Hence, multiple reasons exist. Here are my thoughts:

1) I agree with the poster from tsu. Our post play is a HUGE problem.
2) I was very disappointed in Petteway's pre-game speech. I did not like the energy and a fire was not lit that would translate to the players. Further, I like bandfan concur that the negative comment about "not enough time to prepare and they had time to study us and know everything we are doing" (if the announcer quoted him correctly) was an embarrassment.
3) Oakland's team gave other coaches in the SWAC a text book lesson in breaking A&M press.
4) Smiley post has quite a bit of credence.
5) I don't want to be ugly (today) but believe SWAC coaches can do a better job of getting personnel.
6) Props must be given to A&M for winning the conference title. However, our entire conference has much work to do to get better (obviously including A&M).
7) There is no DAMN CONSPIRACY! When the SWAC schedules better and land a higher caliber of athlete, the play in game will be avoided.
8) I believe that basketball started to decline dramatically in the SWAC somewhere between the last 5 to 9 years.

#2.... anybody who KNOWS Pettaway would tell you, that what he REALLy says in a pre game speech AINT MADE FOR TV.... I am sure that wasnt the REAL pre game speach... that was the "made for tv" speech.

pbla, I don't think that is what he said. I didn't watch much of the game, but I remember during the part I watched, I think someone tried to steal the ball, and the guy carried or palmed the ball on a spin move. I remember somebody commenting on the fact that was a palm but the officials never call it. And that goes back to middle school ball. They learn bad habits way back there. I don't think he was speaking of A&M's team in general. But since I didn't watch the whole thing, I could be wrong. I hope he didn't say that.

As for the topic, most of you have bought up very good points, about large and small things that could/should be changed. I'm not gonna go into it (ain't enough time in the day) especially since the words only really go from my keyboard into the black hole of useless thoughts.

Bengal E said:
pbla, I don't think that is what he said. I didn't watch much of the game, but I remember during the part I watched, I think someone tried to steal the ball, and the guy carried or palmed the ball on a spin move. I remember somebody commenting on the fact that was a palm but the officials never call it. And that goes back to middle school ball. They learn bad habits way back there. I don't think he was speaking of A&M's team in general. But since I didn't watch the whole thing, I could be wrong. I hope he didn't say that.

As for the topic, most of you have bought up very good points, about large and small things that could/should be changed. I'm not gonna go into it (ain't enough time in the day) especially since the words only really go from my keyboard into the black hole of useless thoughts.

Maybe he was not talking about the whole team,but probally one of the AAMU guards when he commited a turnover. I taped it ( I thought they were gonna show The DIVAS :D) I like breaking down game tapes. I'll probally watch it again. But I also agree with most of the posters that post play need to improve in the SWAC.

the band fan said:
I packed it in when the announcer said Pettaway (told the announcer) said they needed extra time to prepare and Oakland had a week to prepare. Now the SWAC Tournament is too long...damn...

Officials called a tight game and took A&M's ability to steal and run from them.....they made it an inside game and that was the difference. We had officials call it like that against A&M last season and we won.

You've been doing some serious reaching over the past few days. I guess that tournament had better hurry up and get to Houston, before some of y'all just lay out and die.

the band fan said:

One thing for sure A&M weren't prepared at all for the game. I have never in my life seen Coach Pettaway coach so badly. He didn't call timeouts when Oakland went up by ten and he continued to let his players run wildly and out of control up and down the court. I really thought that A&M could have beaten Oakland if they would have calmed down and played hard and started driving inside and shooting short jumpers. That Oakland team had three athletes that were awesome...McCloskey, Scott, and Marshall. But I still think if A&M would have played smart they could have prevailed.

They didn't have a winning attitude. It looked like they just went in with the attitude of winning the SWAC tournament and everything else was secondary. We can't continued to have an attitude of just settling for the SWAC championship. We should always want to move up higher in the NCAA and upset some of the larger universities.

A&M does have a few good athletes and I honestly think that they were the best team to represent the SWAC this year but they didn't stay focused on why they were representing the SWAC. This is my take on what I saw last night.

I think the lack of a post presence is a problem for all the SWAC schools. Oakland's bigs did whatever they wanted on both ends of the court, and dominated the class. From what I saw Sunday and last night, A & M's press is not that suffocating. Alabama State just did a terrible job with floor spacing and passing. Oakland was disciplined in breaking the press and forced A & M into a half court game, which just further served to highlight the lack of post players. Somebody mentioned that A & M settled for too many jumpers, but when you have no post presence, you don't have much choice but to hoist jumpers.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JaguarNation99 said:
O From what I saw Sunday and last night, A & M's press is not that suffocating. Alabama State just did a terrible job with floor spacing and passing. Oak.

Bull****.... all 9 SWAC teams did a terrible job with floor and spacing then.... It forced 29 turnovers for YOUR school when SU came to AAMU, so Bama St handled it better than SU did.

I agree with a lot that has been posted thus far, and it's not a bash against AAMU, but an indictment of the quality of play in the entire SWAC. The SWAC's kids just simply are not prepared to play quality basketball against out of conference opponents, PERIOD! Anytime an entire conference has a losing record against OOC opponents, big school, or small school, that let's me know these kids are not getting quality coaching, or some of them just don't deserve to be playing basketball at the DI level.

Recruiting efforts have to be stepped up, and coaching searches have to be broadened, if the play of the SWAC is ever going to be competitive again. Because had it not been for conference play, no team would have a winning record.

I don't like the idea of having to play in a play in game, but at this point the quality of play in the conference says that our teams will continue to play there, unless something changes fast. Put all the consipiracy theories aside, because the MEAC teams don't play the play in game. The play in the SWAC sucks, and to A&M's defense, they just happen to be the best of the worst.

No champ from any SWAC school would've fared better than they did, because if that style of play was good enough to win the SWAC (mind you regular season, and tournament), then what does that say about the rest of conference? Thier play last night only illustrated how bad the conference as a whole is.

We could go on, and on about the tourny being moved, but the truth of the matter is, no matter where the tourny is held, the attendance will be low, because league wide the students, alums, fans, and sponsors have spoken, by not wanting to see piss poor ball. Hell, the CIAA tourny is being ranked right up there with the ACC, and Big East in terms of popularity, and with their ESPN, not ESPN U deal, that should make the SWAC feel small, seeing that they're a HBCU conference with little known schools, and they're D2.

When you see SU struggling to beat NAIA lil sister SUNO, losing to likes of West Alabama, UAPB scoring 25 points in an entire game, ASU scoring 10 points in an entire half, and GSU losing to a Georgetown team by dayum near 50 points, that didn't win another game the entire season, after beating them, and Alcorn losing to Siena in the play in game that also had a losing record, that should let everyone know this conference has a long way to go just to get back to respectability.

I looked at the game last night, and said if AAMU is the best the SWAC has to offer, then the SWAC has truly hit rock bottom. Again, this not a knock against AAMU because they won the conference fair, and sqaure, both regular season, and the tourney, and congratulations are in order for winning the conference championship, but until the conference starts taking basketball seriously, they may as well start negotiations with the city of Dayton to see if some sort of package deal can be made, because that's where the SWAC Champ will be for the foreseeable future.

NICE

D-NICE said:
"I looked at the game last night, and said if AAMU is the best the SWAC has to offer, then the SWAC has truly hit rock bottom."

"When you see SU struggling to beat NAIA lil sister SUNO"
NICE

:sick:

Thx for posting that NICE! I thought ol' Jay Rrah would've stepped up and put that long winded explanation on it. ;) @ JR lol

Can't refute what NICE posted. :tup: My thoughts precisely.

Mad congrads for Bama A&M but I'm looking @ piss poor PV and what we're doing or not doing. :mad: WEEEEEEEE need to step it BACK up in a REAL BIG way! :mad:

DAHILL said:
Bull****.... all 9 SWAC teams did a terrible job with floor and spacing then.... It forced 29 turnovers for YOUR school when SU came to AAMU, so Bama St handled it better than SU did.

You took that way too personally, I never said Southern did a great job handling the press, 29 turnovers speaks for itself, as it does for the play of the teams in the conference. The fact still remains that Oakland handled the press with little trouble with good court spacing and passing.

I think part of the probelm with our conference is the problem with b-ball everywhere the level of talent has shifted there are more choices for kid today than there were even as late as the nineties. Think about it the schools in your state that have improved in B-ball in the last fifteen yours with talent that use to go Hbcu's some of these school we still beat on the regular. Some mid&low majors refuse to play us even though we played them when we were up. I look at Southeastern La. we have played them since I was in school (87-88) we have beaten them regularly over the years they are in the Ncaa tourny we even beat them this year but there conferance is considered better but is the Southland really better because they go get there but kick in the preseason. The players we use to get in nineties would now be going to LSU or Miss st.

bigtyme2 said:
I think part of the probelm with our conference is the problem with b-ball everywhere the level of talent has shifted there are more choices for kid today than there were even as late as the nineties. Think about it the schools in your state that have improved in B-ball in the last fifteen yours with talent that use to go Hbcu's some of these school we still beat on the regular. Some mid&low majors refuse to play us even though we played them when we were up. I look at Southeastern La. we have played them since I was in school (87-88) we have beaten them regularly over the years they are in the Ncaa tourny we even beat them this year but there conferance is considered better but is the Southland really better because they go get there but kick in the preseason. The players we use to get in nineties would now be going to LSU or Miss st.
also look back during the 80 and early 90s.... AAU was NOWHERE near as big as it is now... If they would have had AAU back then, ALOT of the SWAC stars would have been at other schools.

Back