Jafus get your tale in here!!!!

MACBFAC

No Mulligans!!
Jafus get your tail in here!!!!

What do and others think is problem with the SWAC when it comes to such a poor showing against other mid-major conferences? Is it we can't get quality players do to the largers schools.....(i beg to differ) is it facilities?? look at A&M great stadium......Money....Coaching....or what? I think most of the schools in the SWAC can offer just as much as other Mid-Major conference schools

MACBFAC said:
What do and others think is problem with the SWAC when it comes to such a poor showing against other mid-major conferences? Is it we can't get quality players do to the largers schools.....(i beg to differ) is it facilities?? look at A&M great stadium......Money....Coaching....or what? I think most of the schools in the SWAC can offer just as much as other Mid-Major conference schools

Um maybe their coach does a better job of preparing their team then ours do?

Just a thought. :idea:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
bluedog said:
Um maybe their coach does a better job of preparing their team then ours do?

Just a thought. :idea:
Yeah probably so.....is the coaching in the SWAC that bad?Nevermind don't answer that Lol!!!!

I dont think its coaching.... put a Pettaway with a team like North Carolina and you would see what I am talking about. Simply put we arent getting the best athletes.... they dont want to come to BLACK schools... another thing, most of our schools only recruit BLACK high schools and Black players. This is in football and basketball. How is it that WHITE coaches coach HBCU's better than Black coaches.... Look at Hampton when they went on their run, FAMU when they almost upset a #1 (or 2) seed... and the legendary Coach Robbins at Va Union.

DAHILL said:
I dont think its coaching.... put a Pettaway with a team like North Carolina and you would see what I am talking about. .

Dude Pettaway nor any coach in the SWAC can hold a candle to Ben Jobe, Robert Moreland, Andy Stoglin or Dave Whitney at the same time in their career.

bluedog said:
Dude Pettaway nor any coach in the SWAC can hold a candle to Ben Jobe, Robert Moreland, Andy Stoglin or Dave Whitney at the same time in their career.

Who do you think BROUGHT UP Pettaway? BEN JOBE.... Pettaway was an assistant under Jobe at AAMU and took the head coaching job over after Jobe left to go to SU while Pettaway was only 28. Pettaway has a winning record over Jobe. Pettaways overall record speaks for itself. He is almost at 400 victories in 19 years.

DAHILL said:
Who do you think BROUGHT UP Pettaway? BEN JOBE.... Pettaway was an assistant under Jobe at AAMU and took the head coaching job over after Jobe left to go to SU while Pettaway was only 28. Pettaway has a winning record over Jobe. Pettaways overall record speaks for itself. He is almost at 400 victories in 19 years.

Re-read my post and understand Pettaway has "NEVER" gotten the national attention or accolade from his peers that any of the coaches I mention.

But if you want to believe that go right ahead.

bluedog said:
Re-read my post and understand Pettaway has "NEVER" gotten the national attention or accolade from his peers that any of the coaches I mention.

But if you want to believe that go right ahead.
How in the hell do you know what type of national attention Pettaway has got from his peers? I am sure you have talked to Coach Pettaways peers.

DAHILL said:
How in the hell do you know what type of national attention Pettaway has got from his peers? I am sure you have talked to Coach Pettaways peers.

Ahhhhh, they're called news articles.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
bluedog said:
Ahhhhh, they're called news articles.

I aint read nothing about none of them in a news article... there may have been an article about the Whiz when he retired but other than that... nada.

DAHILL said:
I aint read nothing about none of them in a news article... there may have been an article about the Whiz when he retired but other than that... nada.

I can't say that you have or haven't but that doesn't change the fact that they have now does it?

I'll tell you what, I'm about to go to bed but as soon as I have some free time on my hand I'll dig those articles up and then you won't be able to make that claim...... ok?

"I swear we need to put together a manual for you new kats the next time the SWAC decides to expand."

Had to drag that from the smack board because its appropriate here as well.

This isn't about PV. So stop trying to make it that way. This is about recognizing the fact that their were individuals that achieved in their fields long before the current SWAC some of you know.

Storm96 said:
This isn't about PV. So stop trying to make it that way. This is about recognizing the fact that their were individuals that achieved in their fields long before the current SWAC some of you know.

seriously? what does that have to do with us! only thing we recognize is
.......nevermind this is the sports board.

bluedog said:

It was in reference to the fact that SOME people did not understand the contributions made by the coaches above.

Back to the original question.

It is systematic. The only explaination. Our schools do a poor job in general in athletics. We don't have good systems for recruiting. We have virtually no scorers in the SWAC. Look at the season averages for most of our guys. We have no size and no height. That is recruiting. That is facilities. We don't know how to do it. IMO we should be able to recruit better than Oakland, Wisconsin-Mil , Bucknell, UMKC, Witchita State, Sam Houston, Lamar , SE Lousiana. We as in SWAC.

I believe coaching in general is inferior in the SWAC. There is only pressure to win in the SWAC. Not to win outside of SWAC. Also our Presidents/AD's dont value winning in basketball.

It is systematic. The NCAA realized this and created the play in game to eliminate the SWAC. Now I see why.

The SWAC is like a house with no curb appeal. YOu aint going to sell sh.. in terms of Athletcs.

KCPVPanther.

PS. I thought A&M played to the end regardless of the score. This rant is not aimed towards them but to all SWAC schools including my beloved PVU which in history has been the biggest year end/year out dissappointment.

Sad day.

What separates the SWAC from other Mid major conferences is quality post players. I think the SWAC?s guards can play with most guards in the country.

I remember an interview of Coach Alexander in the Tennessean. He was asked the question what does he think separates the two leagues (OVC & MEAC). His response was post play. At TSU, because of the higher conference RPI and better facilities he would be able to recruit better big men then he could at SC State.

For those who watched the play-in game you saw the difference of the two teams was post play. The center for Oakland dominated. Oakland controlled the paint & the boards. A&M was able to keep up in the beginning with the 3 point shot and fast tempo that lead to open shot?s, but when forced to play a half court game their inability to get shots in the paint resulted in a lot of bad shots and turnovers. The Oakland-A&M game resembled the TSU-A&M game. Our center dominated 18 points 19 boards. No A&M post player was in double figures.

Think about the Southern team that upset Georgia Tech then lost by 2 in the second round game. Southern?s power forward Javon Scales and the center (forgive for not remembering his name) were just as good and just as big as Georgia Tech?s post players. They were not out rebounded and had the size inside to command some respect on the defensive end. Skinny dude from Oakland who posterized one of A&M?s forwards had no fear driving down the middle of the lane, cause A&M has no center and their forwards have the build of shooting guards. The odds are stacked against teams that try to win with no post play.

After watching Oakland play ODU I wasn?t surprised that A&M got blown out. Disappointed but not surprised.

Back