Jackson. Ms Lanier Upsets No.#5

sop83

Kappa Alpha Psi
I know some of you don't care to read about MS high school basketball, but! I must send out congrats to Jackson Lanier High school. I just witnessed one of most exciting high school games I've ever witnessed.

The game went into double over time. Jerry West, BJ Armstrong, and a host of other pro and college scouts, witnessed Lanier's Monta Ellis lead his team to a win over USA Todays #5 ranked South Gwinnett. Monta out scored South Gwinnett's Louis Williams, who is currently ranked No. 1 Sr. in SchoolSports poll.

Class of '05 top recruit Louis Williams Class of '05: Top 100 Hoop Recruits
By SchoolSports Staff
Date: Oct 14, 2004

Two years ago, you could pencil in LeBron James as the top player in the senior class and call it a day. Last year, there were only a few players worthy of consideration for the No. 1 spot. This year? Take your pick. But out of this crowded group of worthy contenders emerges high-flying South Gwinnett (Ga.) guard Louis Williams, our pick as the No. 1 player in the Class of 2005.

Prime time: ESPN2 will air two games involving Super 25 teams in February ? No. 5 South Gwinnett (Snellville, Ga.)-No. 19 Arlington Country Day (Jacksonville) on Feb. 3, and No. 1 Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.)-No. 18 St. Patrick on Feb. 11, which is part of the four-day Prime Time Shootout at Sovereign Bank Arena in Trenton, N.J. Both games tip off at 7:30 p.m. ET.

. Oak Hill Academy, Mouth of Wilson, Va. (15-1)
Previous: 1. Result: Idle. Plays Thursday vs. Forbush (East Bend, N.C.).
2. Thornton, Harvey, Ill. (15-0)
Previous: 3. Result: Beat Thornwood (South Holland) 54-42
3. Vashon, St. Louis (12-0)
Previous: 4. Result: Idle.
4. Rice, Manhattan, N.Y. (9-0)
Previous: 5. Result: Beat St. Francis (Fresh Meadows) 65-33, Paterson (N.J.) Catholic 59-54 and Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn) 78-62.
5. South Gwinnett, Snellville, Ga. (12-1)
Previous: 6. Result: Beat Central Gwinnett (Lawrenceville) 90-65.
6. St. Anthony, Jersey City, N.J. (7-1)
Previous: 7. Result: Beat Christian Brothers Academy (Lincroft) 40-37 in the Scholarship Fund for Inner-City Children Basketball Festival. Also beat Life Center (Burlington) 61-36.
7. LeFlore, Mobile, Ala. (22-0)
Previous: 8. Result: Beat Alma Bryant (Irvington) 78-69 and Theodore 92-46.
8. Arlington, Indianapolis (10-0)
Previous: 9. Result: Beat Bishop Chatard (Indianapolis) 61-55 and Elkhart Central 61-40.
9. St. Mary's, Manhasset, N.Y. (9-0)
Previous: 10. Result: Beat St. Dominic's (Oyster Bay) 77-56 and St. John the Baptist (West Islip) 92-65.
10. Etiwanda, Calif. (14-1)
Previous: 2. Result: Beat Alta Loma 79-33. Lost to Dominguez (Compton) 58-53 at Pangos Dream Classic in Fullerton.

Next up for Lanier is Mitchell High School out of TN. Mitchell has the nations #2 Jr. guard. They play this monday night at 5 pm in Jackson.

January 16, 2005
'Duel' turns into real treat for hoop fans

By Rusty Hampton
rhampton@clarionledger.com

It was "Monta this" and "Louis that" for more than a week, so a bunch of us gathered at the Mississippi Coliseum Saturday to see what the shoutin' was all about and guess what happened?

Instead of a one-on-one duel for the ages, we saw a game for the ages.

With Memphis Grizzlies general manager Jerry West and a couple dozen other NBA scouts or executives in the house, Monta Ellis poured in 46 points for Jackson's Lanier High and Louis Williams scored 34 for South Gwinnett of suburban Atlanta.

Rusty Hampton
Lanier won 88-79 in double overtime in one of the most entertaining high school basketball games you'll ever see.

But the real winners were the fans who were treated to a show ? by the star players, for sure, but also by the teams.

"I've been coaching for 33 years and that's one of the top 10 games I've ever been a part of," said South Gwinnett coach Roger Fleetwood.

And his team lost.

Buzzer-beater

South Gwinnett trailed by as much as 12 in the fourth quarter but then rallied furiously to take the lead on a Williams putback with 7 seconds left.

Not to be outdone, Ellis saved the Bulldogs by making one of the most ridiculous buzzer-beaters you'll ever see, a double-pump leaning jumper that hit high on the glass and then rolled slowly around the rim before deciding to smile on Lanier and fall into the net.

The partisan Lanier crowd, already jacked by the way Williams can soar and Ellis can shoot, roared as if Lanier had won a state championship.

Afterwards, Williams called the atmosphere unreal. "One of the craziest arenas we've ever played in," he said.

NBA-bound?

This was the first time Williams and Ellis have met, but it won't be the last. Ellis is bound for Mississippi State and Williams for Georgia, where they may or may not hook up against each other as Bulldogs.

Perhaps they'll meet next year as millionaires instead, as NBA rookies.

Both are considered that good.

Eight high schoolers were picked in the first round of the 2004 NBA draft, including Al Jefferson, Mississippi's Mr. Basketball for Prentiss.

Travis Outlaw of Starkville went the year before that, and Jonathan Bender of Picayune went in 1999.

Why can't Ellis be the fourth Mississippian in the last seven years to jump directly from high school to the NBA?

Rick Stansbury and Mississippi State fans don't want to hear that, but guys like West, B.J. Armstrong of the Chicago Bulls and Billy Knight of the Atlanta Hawks weren't in Jackson Saturday for a convention or seminar.

They were here for a two-for-one special, a chance to see two of the nation's top players at the same time.

The NBA forbids its scouts and executives from talking publicly about high school prospects, but here is one sports writer's opinion of what they saw:

Williams, a 6-foot-1 guard, has crazy hops, a ridiculous blow-by-you first step and a streaky jumper.

Ellis, a 6-3 guard, is a better shooter, with an NBA-range jump shot and a will to win that allowed him to absolutely take over in the overtime periods.

"He's the real deal," said Fleetwood, the South Gwinnett coach. "I think after today you can call him the truth."

Williams and Ellis are used to performing for the NBA scouts. Fleetwood says four or five come to every South Gwinnett game. Nine were at Lanier's game Friday against Indianola Gentry.

Twenty-three NBA teams had representatives in the house.

Williams said he wasn't paying attention. Not even to Jerry West, one of the greatest players ever?

"Didn't notice him," Williams said. "I wasn't paying attention. I didn't have much time to focus on the crowd and who was who."

Ellis said he couldn't help but sneak a peak or two.

This was his town. His game. His crowd. It'd be great to see him representing our state next season for Mississippi State, but if the NBA is willing to make him an instant millionaire, how can he turn that down?

This, then, was his chance to show out ? for the NBA types and for all those other people out there who follow high school and college basketball.

Some recruiting services rank Williams as the best senior guard in America and Ellis No. 2.

"I had to prove something," Ellis said. "That I should be the No. 1 senior guard in the nation."

It wouldn't be a shock to see those rankings changing after Saturday. And this is for certain: Ellis and Williams, and the Bulldogs and Comets, staged a performance we'll remember for a long, long time.

That was one of the greatest h.s. games I have seen in MS! I'm putting it right up there with the Dream Game between the Eric Dampier-led Lawrence County and Murrah High which was led by Othella Harrington and James Robinson.

Both players (Monta Ellis and Louis Williams) were as good as advertised. Louis Williams' shot was off (2 or 13 from 3-Pt. range), but he still managed to put up a quiet 34 points.......I've seen the same thing happen to Monta over the course of his career. I was also impressed with SG's other UGA signee, Mike Mercer, but I'm not sure how much of an impact he will be in the SEC.

I can't overemphasize how exciting that game was! The fans definitely got their money's worth. :nod:

I saw the Lawrence County vs Murah game on tape. Vandale Thomas is a friend of mine and he always talks about that game.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I saw the Lawrence County vs Murah game on tape. Vandale Thomas is a friend of mine and he always talks about that game.

Yeah, Lawrence County folks won't shut up about it to us Jackson folks. LOL

Vandale was a great player in his own right......I still say he's also one of the best to come out of MS.

Ellis, Lanier prevail over South Gwinnett
Bob Gibbons

Strong-willed, "refuse to lose," Monta Ellis led his Jackson, Miss., Lanier High School team to a thrilling, come from behind win over Snellville, Ga., South Gwinnett High School, and their star guard, Louis Williams, in a matchup of the nation's two best senior guards Saturday night in Jackson, Miss.

According to our representatives, Mississippi State signee, 6-foot-4 combo guard Monta Ellis was, unquestionably, the best player in the game, and, deserves to be rated the No. 1 guard in the Class of 2006.

With Memphis Grizzlies general manager Jerry West, and representatives from twenty-three NBA teams in attendance, Monta Ellis scored 46 points.

I have to say myself that had to rank as one of the top 5 high school games I have ever seen. Williams is a good player but after the game there is no doubt who the best guard in high school basketball is now. Ellis' game is much more complete than Williams'. Williams better get an outside game quick because he want be going to the hole in college or the NBA like he does in High School. But I must say I have never seen so many exciting dunks and dunk attempts in a high school game.

Mercer really impressed me though.

CurtDog 1971 said:
Mercer really impressed me though.

Man, that guy had some hella hops! :nod: And yeah, your right...this has to go down as one of the most exciting high school b-ball games that I've ever witnessed. Monta really showed that he should be ranked ahead of Williams and that even with an under-manned team, he is that damn good where they are put into postions to win games they shouldn't. This Georgia team had far-better talent than any team and the Jackson Metro Area but Monta and Co. were still able to pull out the win.

I'm still amazed at the things those kids could do. I'm in the process of trying to get a copy of the game from Comcast. Hopefully, the'll send me one.

It has just been brought to my attention that the same South Gwinett team that Lainer beat saturday night, just knocked of the number 1 team in the country, Oakhill. This shuold speak even more volume to the creadit of Monta and Lanier. Lainer deserves a national ranking.

hmmmm .......

South upsets No. 1-ranked Oak Hill

By JOHN HOLLIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/18/05
GREENSBORO, N.C. ? Who'd have guessed there was a veritable pot of gold awaiting at the end of this long rainbow?

A weary South Gwinnett team, closing out a 1,400-plus-mile odyssey with its third game in four days, managed to deliver a performance of the ages, riding an inspired second half of play to an 82-68 upset of the nation's top-ranked team, Virginia's Oak Hill Academy.

"People were really just coming to see the No. 1 player in the country vs. the No. 1 team in the country," Comets All-American guard Louis Williams said after ringing up a game-high 32 points.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/highschool/0105/18south.html

sop83 said:

3. Vashon, St. Louis (12-0)

When they beat the "V" call me, untill then......................

J/K congrats.

Vashon is tearing up the Midwest. The V has always been wrecking shop in St. Louis, even when I was in High school.

Lanier Made it to the national rankings. Perp. nation has them at #10. South Gwinett is now #9, but with their victory over Oakhill who knows.

# School Record Note LW
1. Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill 18-1 56-1 in last two seasons 1
2. Manhasset, N.Y., St. Mary's 12-0 narrowly beat N.J.-ranked Paterson Catholic 2
3. Niagara Falls, N.Y. 11-0 whipped then-unbeaten Rush-Henrietta 3
4. Harvey, Ill., Thornton 16-0 will be tested by former No. 2 Homewood-Flossmoor this week 6
5. Queens, N.Y., Christ the King 12-1 owns two Top 25 wins 7
6. New York, N.Y., Rice 11-0 defeated regionally ranked Mount Vernon 11
7. Oklahoma City, Okla., Putnam City 12-0 beat two state Top 5 teams 9
8. Jacksonville, Fla., Arlington Country Day 13-2 beat teams from Md. and Texas last week 8
9. Snellville, Ga., South Gwinnett 13-2 lost in 2 OT at No. 10 Lanier 5
10. Jackson, Miss., Lanier 19-2 G Monta Ellis scored 46 in win NR
11. Indianapolis, Ind., Arlington 12-0 relies on smothering full-court press 12
12. Westchester, Ill., St. Joseph 15-0 focus school in documentary "Hoop Dreams" 14
13. Elizabeth, N.J., St. Patrick's 10-1 coach Kevin Boyle over 300 wins in 15 years 23
14. Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., Etiwanda 17-1 beat No. 25 Las Vegas Bishop Gorman 17
15. Seattle, Wash., Seattle Prep 12-2 led by sensational 6-6 G Martell Webster 15
16. Los Angeles, Calif., Westchester 8-2 both losses to ranked teams 16
17. Greensboro, N.C., Dudley 13-1 beat regionally ranked Montrose Christian 18
18. Hyattsville, Md., DeMatha 12-1 only loss to No. 16 Westchester 20
19. West Orange, N.J., Seton Hall Prep 9-1 G Andrew Pusar will play at Harvard 21
20. Indianapolis, Ind., Lawrence North 8-2 top-ranked junior C Greg Oden averaging a double-double 4
21. Memphis, Tenn., Fairley 15-2 beat regionally ranked O'Connell NR
22. Gainesville, Ga., East Hall 16-1 only team to beat No. 19 Seton Hall Prep 10
23. Bellevue, Neb., West 13-0 led by Creighton-bound G Josh Dotzler NR
24. Marion, Iowa, Linn-Mar 7-0 reigning 4A state titlist 24
25. Las Vegas, Nev., Bishop Gorman 19-2 unbeaten versus in-state foes NR

Northeast Region
1. Manhasset, N.Y., St. Mary's (12-0) (1)
2. Niagara Falls, N.Y. (11-0) (2)
3. Queens, N.Y., Christ the King (12-1) (3)
4. New York, N.Y., Rice (11-0) (4)
5. Elizabeth, N.J., St. Patrick's (10-1) (6)
6. West Orange, N.J., Seton Hall Prep (9-1) (5)
7. Jersey City, N.J., St. Anthony (9-1) (8)
8. Mount Vernon, N.Y. (10-2) (7)
9. Philadelphia, Pa., Neumann-Goretti (13-0) (10)
10. Merion, Pa., Episcopal (14-2) (9)

East Coast Region
1. Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill (18-1) (1)
2. Greensboro, N.C., Dudley (13-1) (2)
3. Hyattsville, Md., DeMatha (12-1) (4)
4. Baltimore, Md., Mount St. Joseph (17-1) (7)
5. Arlington, Va., O'Connell (13-1) (6)
6. Dumfries, Va., Potomac (13-0) (8)
7. Upper Marlboro, Md., Riverdale Baptist (16-2) (5)
8. Rockville, Md., Montrose Christian (11-3) (3)
9. Gaffney, S.C. (15-1) (9)
10. Huntersville, N.C., North Mecklenburg (15-1) (10)

Southeast Region
1. Jacksonville, Fla., Arlington Country Day (13-2) (2)
2. Snellville, Ga., South Gwinnett (13-2) (1)
3. Jackson, Miss., Lanier (19-2) (5)
4. Memphis, Tenn., Fairley (15-2) --
5. Gainesville, Ga., East Hall (16-1) (3)
6. Norcross, Ga. (20-0) (6)
7. Mobile, Ala., LeFlore (24-0) (7)
8. Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Dillard (12-0) --
9. Jeffersontown, Ky. (15-1) (9)
10. Alexandria, La., Peabody (19-1) --

Lanier is ranked ahead of VaShon in the HoopsUSA National Polls.

Team Name - City, State Won-
Loss PR'P
P'LL USA
T'DY S'NT
SPTS SCH
SPTS I'HI
.COM H'PS
USA TOTAL
12-0 2 8 2 0 0 1 91
2. Thornton - Harvey, IL
16-0 4 2 3 0 0 4 91
3. Rice - Manhattan, NY
11-0 6 4 4 0 0 6 84
4. Christ The King - Middle Village, NY
12-1 5 10 5 0 0 5 79
5. Niagara Falls - Niagara Falls, NY
11-0 3 14 16 0 0 2 69
6. St. Patrick - Elizabeth, NJ
10-1 13 16 6 0 0 9 60
7. St. Anthony - Jersey City, NJ
9-1 0 5 15 0 0 3 55
8. Westchester - Los Angeles, CA
8-2 16 11 11 0 0 12 54
9. Arlington - Indianapolis, IN
12-0 11 7 10 0 0 0 50
10. South Gwinnett - Snellville, GA
13-2 9 9 19 0 0 20 47
11. Lanier - Jackson, MS
19-2 10 0 8 0 0 19 41
12. LeFlore - Mobile, AL
24-0 0 6 21 0 0 11 40
13. St. Joseph - Westchester, IL
15-0 12 25 13 0 0 15 39
14. Etiwanda - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
17-1 14 9 0 0 0 16 39
15. Vashon - St. Louis, MO
15-0 0 3 20 0 0 0 29
16. Seton Hall Prep - West Orange, NJ
9-1 19 23 0 0 0 7 29
17. Dudley - Greensboro, NC
13-1 17 0 0 0 0 13 22
18. Putnam City - Oklahoma City, OK
12-0 7 0 0 0 0 0 19
19. Seattle Prep - Seattle, WA
12-2 15 0 22 0 0 22 19
20. Gaffney - Gaffney, SC
15-1 0 0 0 0 0 8 18
21. Norcross - Norcross, GA
20-0 0 0 0 0 0 10 16
22. Mater Dei - Santa Ana, CA
17-2 0 12 24 0 0 0 16
23. Lawrence North - Indianapolis, IN
8-2 20 0 0 0 0 17 15
24. Northside - Lafayette, LA
23-1 0 20 18 0 0 0 14
25. Steele Canyon - Spring Valley, CA

sop83 said:
Lanier is ranked ahead of VaShon in the HoopsUSA National Polls.

Team Name - City, State Won-
Loss PR'P
P'LL USA
T'DY S'NT
SPTS SCH
SPTS I'HI
.COM H'PS
USA TOTAL
13-2 9 9 19 0 0 20 47
11. Lanier - Jackson, MS
19-2 10 0 8 0 0 19 41
12. LeFlore - Mobile, AL
24-0 0 6 21 0 0 11 40
Can't NAN ONE of those two teams mess with LeFlore. They are men amungst boys. Currently they are ranked #7 in USA Today in the nation. LeFlore has always had very good teams, but this team is by far one of the best. And what makes them even more dangerous, they have not played a game home game YET this season. Their gym is being renovated this year, so they have to practice at other peoples' gyms at the most inopportune times a lot.

Mr. SWAC said:
Can't NAN ONE of those two teams mess with LeFlore. They are men amungst boys. Currently they are ranked #7 in USA Today in the nation. LeFlore has always had very good teams, but this team is by far one of the best. And what makes them even more dangerous, they have not played a game home game YET this season. Their gym is being renovated this year, so they have to practice at other peoples' gyms at the most inopportune times a lot.

I do think that Leflore is good... but its hard to compare them nationally... they havent played in any "national" tournaments. Most of the ranked teams play other ranked teams or travel across the country playing in prestigious tournaments... Beating up teams in your home area isnt impressive to me.

ummmm,
South Gwinnett got beat in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs. They may not even have been the best team in Gwinnett County. So, that "big" win by Lanier doesn't look to be so big after all.
:snicker:

You cant go by these rankings....

Leflore is now ranked #2 in the nation and they aint played a team outside of SOUTH Alabama.... they had to sit on pins and needles to get out of the regional finals against Vigor. These rankings arent justified.

DAHILL said:
You cant go by these rankings....

Leflore is now ranked #2 in the nation and they aint played a team outside of SOUTH Alabama.... they had to sit on pins and needles to get out of the regional finals against Vigor. These rankings arent justified.

Wow they haven't even played anyone in other parts of the state?

jag4life said:
Wow they haven't even played anyone in other parts of the state?
Hell no.... all of their games have been in the Mobile area... they may have had some in North Florida (which is about 30 minutes away from Mobile).... they havent even played more than 3 RANKED teams in the state.

DAHILL said:
Hell no.... all of their games have been in the Mobile area... they may have had some in North Florida (which is about 30 minutes away from Mobile).... they havent even played more than 3 RANKED teams in the state.

Well, they (LeFlore) play my high school team, The Sparkman Senators next week in the state tournament. Could turn out to be one of best matchups of the entire tournament.

AAMU Alum said:
Well, they (LeFlore) play my high school team, The Sparkman Senators next week in the state tournament. Could turn out to be one of best matchups of the entire tournament.

Sparkman has been up and down this year... I have seen them bring their A game... If Sparkman brings their A game they will beat Leflore. Basketball in South Alabama is nothing like it is in North Alabama. Sparkman played in the toughest region in the state.

I've gotten a chance to see Louis Williams and Monta Ellis a couple of times and they were extremely impressive...

that being said, I'd love to see those guys play some of our kids from the DC Metro/Baltimore Area...I can think of at least 7 squads that would give anybody in the country all they could handle...

East Coast Region
1. Mouth of Wilson, Va., Oak Hill (18-1) (1)
2. Greensboro, N.C., Dudley (13-1) (2)
3. Hyattsville, Md., DeMatha (12-1) (4)
4. Baltimore, Md., Mount St. Joseph (17-1) (7)
5. Arlington, Va., O'Connell (13-1) (6)
6. Dumfries, Va., Potomac (13-0) (8)
7. Upper Marlboro, Md., Riverdale Baptist (16-2) (5)
8. Rockville, Md., Montrose Christian (11-3) (3)
9. Gaffney, S.C. (15-1) (9)
10. Huntersville, N.C., North Mecklenburg (15-1) (10)

These squads ain't no joke...the crazy thing is most of the traditional powers (i.e. Dunbar (DC), Dunbar (Baltimore), Flint Hill Prep, St. John's-Prospect Hall, etc...) are still loaded...the high School scene here has always been a national hotbed, but this year ( and coming years ) is going to be off the meter in terms of talent coming out of the area...

Man, If any of the Regional D1 HBCU's (Howard, Morgan State, Norfolk State, Hampton, etc.) even did a moderate job of recruiting form this area, their competitiveness would really benefit from it...

mighty hornet said:
ummmm,
South Gwinnett got beat in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs. They may not even have been the best team in Gwinnett County. So, that "big" win by Lanier doesn't look to be so big after all.
:snicker:

The pride and joy of GA gets ousted out of the state tourneys, and the first thing that comes to your mind is a small school in Jackson, MS? Po' mh. :smh:

But that's sad, nonetheless. Monta Ellis won't let his team go out like that this year. His "kryptonite" will be gearing up for the SWAC Tourney. (hint, hint)

That "big" win by Lanier was actually over a team that couldn't even make the Final Four in GA.
:smh:

oh well

btw, of all the hundreds of high schools in GA, there are only 3 schools whose boys and girls teams are in the Final Four. My lil ole high school is one of em. :tup:
We just ball like that!!!!!

Back