Is this the norm or an exception for Black males, particulary FBS/FCS athletes?

TSUGIRL07

I got mad and sad at the same time reading this. Whose to blame in this situation? Who failed this kid or did he fail himself? What is the best way to fix this problem for our young men? Thoughts?

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Education-of-Dasmine/132065/

"Joseph P. Luckey, the U. of Memphis's director of athletic academic services, was surprised by the results of a reading test the university started administering to athletes two years ago: 'I was like, 'Holy crud, I can't believe how many kids are reading below a seventh-grade level'.'" You can't hide for long in college when you're semiliterate. But somehow Mr. Cathey slipped through his freshman year with just under a C average, taking classes like elementary algebra and music appreciation. Then he saw the syllabus for HIST 2010: U.S. to 1877, his sophomore history class. How would he ever finish five books in four months?

He knew there was only one way: He had to go back to the beginning. After practice every night, he would close the door to his room in the Carpenter Complex, reach under his bed, and pull out his 10 learn-to-read books. Twenty minutes, he thought, looking down at his watch. I've got to beat 20.

Over the sound of his roommates goofing around, he practiced the basic skills he had skipped over all those years. His first few sessions, it took him three or four minutes to make it through each book. But week by week he improved, shaving seconds and finally minutes off his times. He was a long way from finishing college-level texts, but it was a start.......

"......Colleges channel players into all sorts of less-rigorous tracks, some of which require little classroom attendance. One of the popular paths for Memphis athletes—including Mr. Cathey and nearly a third of his football teammates—is an online program designed for working adults and students looking to build their own degrees. Most semesters he takes a potpourri of courses, hardly building toward any specialization. This year he is enrolled in "Area/Facility Planning" through the School of Leisure Studies, and an online family-communication course. He has also taken "Wellness Concepts," "Introduction to Dance," and a class called "The Developing Adult" (which he failed*—
twice).

Fortunately for Mr. Cathey, D's count toward graduation in almost all of his classes. And one-third of his credits can come from electives. Over his five years at Memphis, he has gotten credit for 10 phys-ed courses, including yoga, kickboxing, free weights, and beginning tennis (which he aced—twice).

On the whole, Memphis athletes have had a 3.0 grade-point average or better the past three semesters. But many of its football and basketball players come to college underprepared for university-level work. Two years ago, the athletic department started a summertime "bridge" program for transfer students and first-year athletes with academic deficiencies. Of the 50 players who have come through the program, nearly half tested at or below a seventh-grade reading level."

Oh, this is sort of par for the course when it comes to some athletic programs. There have been quite a few athletes over the years who couldn't read or write. I'm talking about cats who went to Duke, too.

Maybe not the norm but pretty common. I had some teammates that I used to wonder how they got out of high school.

Yes it is the norm. We live in a society where sports is seen as the only ticket to become wealthy. It is not just a ghetto problem, it is a culture problem that has been rooted into society. Sad, but so true. Special Education is a big problem in our community.

Yes it is the norm. We live in a society where sports is seen as the only ticket to become wealthy. It is not just a ghetto problem, it is a culture problem that has been rooted into society. Sad, but so true. Special Education is a big problem in our community.

It ain't just athletes. Nationally only about half of college freshmen are deemed college ready based on standardized test scores.

Classroom behavioral issues are some of the major reasons athletes don't succeed in middle and high school.
As long as the athlete can shoot, rebound, run or throw, he's allowed to just "get by" in school.
He can cuss out teachers, cut classes, not turn in homework, flunk tests and still get away with being passed on to the next grade.

In addition to that, for some odd reason with many of our young Black males, it's frowned upon and seen as "not being cool" to be smart or to make good grades.
I think that this type of attitude hurts many young Black athletes more than anything else.

The Black female athletes can get their lesson and make good grades, but a large percentage of young Black male athletes would rather party and have a good time, until their junior and senior years. By then it's almost too late to bring up those grades.

It ain't just athletes. Nationally only about half of college freshmen are deemed college ready based on standardized test scores.

Believe me I know. I would love to get started on the aspirations of the "Talent ticket" in America. Not only in the black community, but the others have caught on and trying just as hard. Look at American Idol, Americas got talent and so on.

I remember being in English 101 at AAMU.. and having to proofread our classmates papers.... SMH.... I honestly didnt know how some of them even made it to college. Teacher would give them their papers back with 50 red marks on it. Alot of them couldnt type either. I use to make money typing papers in college.

I remember being in English 101 at AAMU.. and having to proofread our classmates papers.... SMH.... I honestly didnt know how some of them even made it to college. Teacher would give them their papers back with 50 red marks on it. Alot of them couldnt type either. I use to make money typing papers in college.

Same here. Some people leave high school without understanding simple concepts such as subject-verb agreement

Let alone giving speeches. In my old group we had this Becky who they make out to be so smart and on top of her game because she attended this so call top engineering school. Well one day they had us do a demo and she was chosen to do the presentation. My ole my, I have never heard such bad English and incorrect use of language in my life. I finally stepped in to save her because I got tired of hearing her talk. I would have rather heard crack head Willie speaking on the importance of crack life than hear her talk another second. Nothing burns me up than hearing southern back woods talk. It is worst than Ebonics and Lawd knows I hate Ebonics!!!!

Let alone giving speeches. In my old group we had this Becky who they make out to be so smart and on top of her game because she attended this so call top engineering school. Well one day they had us do a demo and she was chosen to do the presentation. My ole my, I have never heard such bad English and incorrect use of language in my life. I finally stepped in to save her because I got tired of hearing her talk. I would have rather heard crack head Willie speaking on the importance of crack life than hear her talk another second. Nothing burns me up than hearing southern back woods talk. It is worst than Ebonics and Lawd knows I hate Ebonics!!!!

Lol, don't you hate when you anticipate a conversation or hearing someone talk and then they open their mouth and it disappoints you.

Lol, don't you hate when you anticipate a conversation or hearing someone talk and then they open their mouth and it disappoints you.
Man tell me about it. This is why I go off on them cats on alabama live news sites when they talk about our kids speaking ebonics. I am like have you ever listened to you guys talk? I mean really, there is no difference in them cutting and slicing verbs and words with that terrible accent. :vomit: Pops you outta here our director speak. Man he has such a monotone voice. This cat making over 200K a year and his speeches and presentation is horrid. I fall asleep as well as the other 1K folks listening......

Last edited:
The best thing that happened to me in High School was being pulled onto the debate team. That helped me tremendously. However, I don't think I am a great public speaker even though I always get compliments. I spend a lot of time on youtube listening to speeches though and I study pastors at big churches.

You guys would be surprised how many politicians can't write at all. I've seen their work. No wonder those folks are surrounded by PR people and speech writers.

As far as speaking is concerned, it's been a struggle for me. I have a speech impediment (combined with a monotone voice), and can't always say what I want or how I want and I come off as kinda unintelligent. So, I don't ride folks too hard about the way they talk. But writing and reading is something folks should be able to do at the basic level.

some athletes have people do their work for them most of the time. They have male and female groupies who want to be cool with them for whatever reason.

Thats how most end up not knowing how to talk write or spell.. they never had to do any class work

Come start in Texas. We're fighting GOP logic here in a state that influences the rest of the country in K-12 education.

You are not lying about this. The worst part is now all these Texas companies who came up because of NCLB are now major education consultants around the country.

It's a pitiful thing to behold. But I believe & live Darwinsm. It's a sad testament when kids who excel are forced to have the space around them occupied w/ lower performing. *reflecting on PV :smh: *

I'm ecstatic that I was isolated from the public school's general population. Too bad it didn't occur undergrad *smgdh*. Nothing in common outside of "race." :retard:

Well, I went to school with some not so bright kids of other complexions. There were only 60 black people in my high school total. Those billy-joes and Tom's aren't exactly blowing the breaks off.

Well, I went to school with some not so bright kids of other complexions. There were only 60 black people in my high school total. Those billy-joes and Tom's aren't exactly blowing the breaks off.
I can only imagine.
For me, the good folk segregated us AP kids, from everyone else, own wing of facilities, lunch, recess, etc... Weren't allowed to interface w/ them unless it was outside of normal school hours. I'd already felt iso due to being the only knee:grow so I had iso on top of iso. Due to that iso, I adopted & maintained a higher level of expectance. One can only imagine the horror in my mind as I set foot in PV's 1st class. WTFFFFFFFF?!

I can only imagine.
For me, the good folk segregated us AP kids, from everyone else, own wing of facilities, lunch, recess, etc... Weren't allowed to interface w/ them unless it was outside of normal school hours. I'd already felt iso due to being the only knee:grow so I had iso on top of iso. Due to that iso, I adopted & maintained a higher level of expectance. One can only imagine the horror in my mind as I set foot in PV's 1st class. WTFFFFFFFF?!

I did the advanced classes and was the only A/A in there but we weren't separated at all beyond that. Funny thing is all the classes that were considered advanced when I was there are now required.

Back