Is baseball the sport HBCU's need to put first

ummm, the answer is a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not try to kid ourselves into thinking that baseball could ever be the top sport.

mighty hornet said:
ummm, the answer is a resounding NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not try to kid ourselves into thinking that baseball could ever be the top sport.
I will agree it can't even compare to football but baseball can be a very good revenue producing sport if it is done right. Look at Lsu, Texas and some other baseball programs. Southern's baseball following is continually getting larger, and larger and with the recent signees :shh: , new construction projects :gift: , and national exposure :wavey: I only see it get larger.

bigtyme2 said:
As sucessfull as Lsu is in baseball they still only break even financially.
Lsu more than easily breaks even. Im talking more about sucess on the field than in the bank account.

Most schools in the swac could excel at any sport they desire. They just wont make a financial commitment in many cases. Paying coaches, improving facilities, including enough money in the budget to get out and recruit. FAMU womens volleyball is finishing in the top 25 in the country these days because they've made a commitment. southern has at least 3 of the highest paid coaches in the swac. richardson, now spivery and i would guess, cador. not to mention they invested in the baseball facilities there and now have the best on campus facilities in the swac, and i'm not gonna talk about the football stadium expansion. the bama schools have the advantage of being able to provide majority-minority scholarships to white student athletes and don't take advantage of it. and almost none of our schools sells their program like they should. jsu's basketball coach complained all year about attendance. same problem at all the swac schools. season ticket sales alone should get you 4k fans a night for swac schools in metro areas. alabama state actually wouldn't sell season tickets after the season started 2 years ago and this year they couldn't even sellout the alabama basketball game held on campus. just no concept about how to market teams. for any swac school as AD I wouldn't have individual ticket sells for our big games, so if your not a student and want to see su-gsu (or alcorn-jsu, asu-aamu...so on) hoops you've got to buy a season ticket or mini season ticket package. we don't need you for one stinking game a year. you wanna be the best you've gotta spend the cash.

I thinks soccer is the future - Baseball is in a self destruct mode - greed and strikes / lockouts are killing baseball.

SOCCER!

Actually SuTILL LSU doesn't do better than break even sometimes they take a lost In Skip's last national champ season they only made about 8k in profit but they invest 750k in baseball everyyear. When you invest that kinda of money in a sport and hope to just break even or maybe turn a profit that's a prestige sport. I don't think we can afford prestige sports.

Back