'Ironhead' Heyward dead at 39

SLT

ATLANTA (AP) -- Former NFL fullback Craig "Ironhead" Heyward died Saturday after a 7 1/2-year fight with a recurring brain tumor, his son's high school football coach said. He was 39.

Heyward spent 11 seasons in the NFL with New Orleans, Chicago, Atlanta, St. Louis and Indianapolis. The former University of Pittsburgh star rushed for a career-high 1,083 yards for the Falcons in 1995.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/05/27/obit.heyward.ap/index.html

SORRY TO HEAR THAT !!!!

I used to like the saints when he was playing wit bobby hebert and dalton hilliard!!

I was a die hard saints fan back then !!!!

RIP "IRONHEAD"

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Heyward when I was younger even thru a couple footballs with him. Very down to earth, respectful man, I meet that day. Too young... :angel2:

yeah, he has a son who is a rising senior at peachtree ridge just outside of atl. pretty good football and basketball player. like 6'7 275. has offers from several acc and sec programs. was a story in the atl contstitution about them a few months ago.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. May God bless the Heyward family in this, their time of bereavement.

May Mr. Heyward R.I.P. !

Back