Importance of athletic websites survey

This is a very interesting article. If this is the wave of the future, we need to invest more time and money into it. I remember during the 2002 and 2003 seasons the UAPB football games were shown live via webcast. I think we got lazy last season and stopped showing games.

its about the cash and priorities of the powers that be.....I agree an athletic website is important and stuff but you got some cases where the department is caught in the middle because everyone wants to decide what's best for athletics when their not in athletics...

as for UAPB, I never could understand how they invest so heavily in technology but then turn around and shortchange athletics when it came to the website and stuff...

PV webcasted its games in 2003-04 but there was a charge for it and there's not a big demand for ppv hbcu internet webcasting.

Off topic, but not really: The SWAC website is sad. The MEAC site has updates as recently as several this past week!

You'd think with all the internet courses out there in the schools that somebody would step up and create some good sites (with the exception of two or three good school sites in the conference).

the band fan said:
its about the cash and priorities of the powers that be.....

I disagree. This is more a case of the powers that be not having a clue about the benefits of having a decent web site. How can you possibly put a priority on something you have no knowledge of? Unfortunalty, many people (including SWAC leaders, small business owners, etc.) only see a web site as nothing more than a source of information instead of viewing it has a necessary business tool to help enhance their overall business objectives.

sibiur said:
You'd think with all the internet courses out there in the schools that somebody would step up and create some good sites (with the exception of two or three good school sites in the conference).

Even that is not enough.

I'm telling you the problem.....at alot of HBCUs, people who don't work in athletics want to call more shots than the paid folks...they don't understand the value to some degree...most folks outside athletics on the academic side think athletics is rolling in a pound of cash just because the one or 2 games they attend have a large number of fans...last thing they care about is what recruit, etc., etc.. judge you by the website..

I know for a fact at TSU who calls the shots...and he's no way on the athletics payroll

SAME OLD G said:
I disagree. This is more a case of the powers that be not having a clue about the benefits of having a decent web site. How can you possibly put a priority on something you have no knowledge of? Unfortunalty, many people (including SWAC leaders, small business owners, etc.) only see a web site as nothing more than a source of information instead of viewing it has a necessary business tool to help enhance their overall business objectives.
Dude, you sound like a salesman.

the band fan said:
as for UAPB, I never could understand how they invest so heavily in technology but then turn around and shortchange athletics when it came to the website and stuff...

This is a very true statement. We (all SWAC schools) need to step our commitment to using the web as a recruitment tool. UAPB's site has absolutely no athletic data present other than a few football tidbits FROM BEFORE LAST SEASON!!! Nothing about spring ball. Nothing about new recruits (the article that was posted on TSPN was from a local newspaper). It's pathetic. It can't be updated more than once every few months.

sibiur said:
Off topic, but not really: The SWAC website is sad. The MEAC site has updates as recently as several this past week!

:jump: :retard: :jump: :retard: :jump: :retard: :jump: :retard: :jump: :retard:

Poor vowels and staff.... :shame: What a bad reflection. :(

UAPB '97 said:
This is a very true statement. We (all SWAC schools) need to step our commitment to using the web as a recruitment tool. UAPB's site has absolutely no athletic data present other than a few football tidbits FROM BEFORE LAST SEASON!!! Nothing about spring ball. Nothing about new recruits (the article that was posted on TSPN was from a local newspaper). It's pathetic. It can't be updated more than once every few months.
I am one of the biggest complainers about the lack of information from PB. It is a shame. The local paper will have a book on Fayetteville and nothing on PB.

"Brick and Click"

While other schools have moved to the above state (distance learning), we can't even maintain a simple web site. :slap:

Jafus (Thinker) said:

To build better websites with more interactivity than whats out there now? NO! Ignorance is the word. There are too many free or dirt cheap solutions out there to use money as an excuse. I've seen many ideas shot down over ignorance.

maybe they should hire people with more youth to assist with running the websites of certain schools! no offense to the 80 and older groups, but the internet is a very important tool and we don't use it! Though some schools sites have improved we got a long way to go..and the SWAC.org site is in a sad depressing league of its own! At least Rudy Washington would change the date every six months or so :whatever: :goodbad:

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
To build better websites with more interactivity than whats out there now? NO! Ignorance is the word. There are too many free or dirt cheap solutions out there to use money as an excuse. I've seen many ideas shot down over ignorance.

BP,

I agree with you, but I think what Jafus is saying is that schools that lack a decent presence are losing out on money.

Jafus if I misunderstood you please correct me.

Same Old G,

I am stating both. It takes money to make money. I believe our leaders review it in terms of an invesment. I do not believe our leaders view the ROI high enough to set aside capital for a website (as well as capital for operations) dedicated to athletics, especially since our budgets from our state legilators are so minial in covering the overall operation priorities of our universities.

It is becoming a question of resources. How do you quantifiably measure the significance and monetary value of athletics to a university (Of course we are obviously bias by nature {fanatics})?

It is also becoming obvious in this day in age that an institution outside of the BCS (and BCS programs rarely do not run a deficit because of the "Athletics Arms Race") can run an athletic department without a deficit (outside of the subsidies granted to the athletic department {i.e. student athletics fees/}).

The difficult questions becomes. What is an acceptable athletic department deficit? and How does the pressures to win play in the cost of an acceptable athletic department deficit?

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Same Old G,

I am stating both. It takes money to make money. I believe our leaders review it in terms of an invesment. I do not believe our leaders view the ROI high enough to set aside revenue for a website dedicated to athletics, especially since our budgets from our state legilators are so minial in covering the overall operation priorities of our universities.

It is becoming a question of resources. How do you quantifiably measure the significance and monetary value of athletics to a university (Of course we are obviously bias by nature {fanatics})?

It is also becoming obvious in this day in age that an institution outside of the BCS (and BCS programs rarely do not run a deficit because of the "Athletics Arms Race") can run an athletic department without a deficit (outside of the subsidies granted to the athletic department {i.e. student athletics fees/}).

The difficult questions becomes. What is an acceptable athletic department deficit? and How does the pressures to win play in the cost of an acceptable athletic department deficit?

Well with that said, it this is the case with our schools, it goes back to ignorance.

Most HBCUs have webmasters who also do other duties on campus.

At most white schools, the webmaster only has one duty and that is to make sure the website is updated the minute something new happens.

Notice if a game is over by 10pm on a Saturday night, the HBCU website will not get update until sometime Monday afternoon but at the white school it will be updated less than 30 minutes after the game is over.

I also notice that white schools use their student workers more effectively than us in the HBCU world. I have seen kids report to a work-study job only to do their homework or talk on the telephone.

orange tiger said:
At most white schools, the webmaster only has one duty and that is to make sure the website is updated the minute something new happens.

This is not true.

Back