If you were the AD of Grambling what would you have done?

tsutiger

Before I ask the question to this topic, let me say this.

I realize that some, possibly most of you reading this post attended college in the 60?s or 70?s. I realize that the race relations in America were a lot different then, from when I attended college (95-99). Because of this, your views and beliefs towards subjects where race plays a factor tend to be different (right or wrong), when compared to a new school HBCU graduates such as myself.

Having said that.

I just listened to an interview of Jerry Glanville on Atlanta?s 790 the zone. He just accepted a Defensive Coordinator position at Hawaii. He mentioned in his interview, there were 3 schools he attempted to land a coaching position at. He didn?t name any schools, leaving you to speculate. I have read on MEAC fans and the SWAC page where he applied for the Head Coaching position at Grambling. When I first read the article I thought it was BS. Why would Glanville coach at Grambling? But after listening to the interview, I knew he was dead serious and the article was true.

Taking race out of the equation. When I compare the resume of Glanville to Spears, IMO it?s an easy call on who I would have hired.

Assuming he would have accepted the job if offered. If you were that AD at Grambling would you have hired Jerry Glanville? Why or why not.

I knew that he was interested but didn't hear anything about how his interview went. I don't think his race played a major factor in the decision. I'm sure it was noted but I doubt if it was an issue. Not sure how Jeffries felt, but I don't think he would have been a good fit. Glanville has an NFL resume and all, but he comes across to me as a standup Country and Western comic. I say Country and Western because of his attire, and the mannerism and content of his humor.

Wouldn't want to hire a wannabe "Will Rogers" to Coach Grambling.... We serious about whupping folk azz! :smash:

Glanville hasn't coached anywhere since 1993. He's never coached in college before. And he's rather old. Who knows how long of a commitment he would've made to Grambling. He might've taken the job and then quit after 6 months once he realized how hard it is. Grambling did the right thing passing on him.

I believe Melvin Spears was the front runner for head coach especially since he did a reasonable job without the best quarterback in Division IAA. Spears secured several wins and finally won the Bayou Classic which Doug had not done in years. The rest is history.

If a candidate such as Glanville is serious about any job (some may be available next year), in the SWAC, then I believe that our AD's would sincerely evaluate his talents. However, I do believe that it should be done on merits and not a popularity contest. We have seen too many coaches recycled through the NFL going from club to club.

As for the Grambling job, how could they not give him a chance? It would have been a travesty if they would not have allowed him a shot. Grambling will be a competitive team. Melvin has shown that he's more than brawn; he's got brains too.

I think once Spears won the Bayou Classic, GSU was satisfied with him. Several of the candidates(if the rumors are true) had better resumes than Spears but none had a BC win.

Glanville actually applied for head coach at a Div II schools after he applied at GSU. He must really want to get back into coaching.

Man yall can talk that smack about being out of coaching and never coaching a college team but if Jerry Glanville applies for a coaching job at SU, JSU or any who U somebody better look like counting their pennies.

I believe that Jerry Glanville would not have been a good fit for us simply b/c alot of up and coming high school players considering SWAC schools are kinda going look at a cowboy looking white man recruiting him and just choose to go somewhere their may be a good black coach that he feels he can have more of a relationship with. I think he is a good coach, but I feel recruiting could possibly suffer under his watch. Also kids coming out of school now probably won't remember him for his NFL coaching days.

I believe Gram made the right choice with Spears. I also believe before it is all over, this man will give the SWAC & I-AA football fits. He is surely one hell of a recruiter and knows how to use the "Grambling brand."

First of all I think Melvin Spears is a good fit for GSU. Being that he was an assistant under Doug Williams. In any authority position a person is applying for, that person should have the utmost of people skills. I've been in the corporate world for 20 years now, and I've seen the downfall of many a manager,president, captain and coaches because they lack this trait of people skills and the ability to connect with their people.

If I would to comment on how Jerry Glanville would or should be hired at GSU it would be entirely assumptions.

Who knows how any coach would do for that matter in a new situation;only thing you could do is to give that person a chance to succeed or fail.

geezy76 said:
I believe that Jerry Glanville would not have been a good fit for us simply b/c alot of up and coming high school players considering SWAC schools are kinda going look at a cowboy looking white man recruiting him and just choose to go somewhere their may be a good black coach that he feels he can have more of a relationship with. I think he is a good coach, but I feel recruiting could possibly suffer under his watch. Also kids coming out of school now probably won't remember him for his NFL coaching days.
I believe Coach Spears was the right man for the job, but what you said above ^^^^^ is crap. Dude would more than likely out-recruit Spears on a bad day. Why? Because this cowboy has been a coach in the NFL and knows what it takes to get there. If he showed up on some kids doorstep saying he wants the kid to be a grambling man, you better believe a whole lot of kids will jump into his arms. Not only that, but Glanville (assuming more than likely) would be going after guys that are blue chip material or could possibly have a shot at the NFL one day. You never know, he could have talked that Perriloux kid to Grambling, or a top-ranked RB from another D-1A school. There would be so much media attention and eyes watching grambling that athletes would look at that possible exposure and sign with GSU. The only thing to question really would be his commitment to Grambling. But revert back to my first sentence.

tsutiger said:
Because of this, your views and beliefs towards subjects where race plays a factor tend to be different (right or wrong), when compared to a new school HBCU graduates such as myself.

Seems like you have not been keeping up with things in America. If you think you or your HBCUs are on an equal playing field in America you have not been paying attention to our society. For me I would not even begin to entertain a question about whether Spears or Jerry should have the job. For Spears name to even come up in this type of question is not being considered of him as a coach or individual. But I am for the 60s and the 00s is going backward.

Mr. SWAC said:
I believe Coach Spears was the right man for the job, but what you said above ^^^^^ is crap. Dude would more than likely out-recruit Spears on a bad day. Why? Because this cowboy has been a coach in the NFL and knows what it takes to get there. If he showed up on some kids doorstep saying he wants the kid to be a grambling man, you better believe a whole lot of kids will jump into his arms. Not only that, but Glanville (assuming more than likely) would be going after guys that are blue chip material or could possibly have a shot at the NFL one day. You never know, he could have talked that Perriloux kid to Grambling, or a top-ranked RB from another D-1A school. There would be so much media attention and eyes watching grambling that athletes would look at that possible exposure and sign with GSU. The only thing to question really would be his commitment to Grambling. But revert back to my first sentence.

Spears is going after those type of guys as we speak.

bluedog said:
Man yall can talk that smack about being out of coaching and never coaching a college team but if Jerry Glanville applies for a coaching job at SU, JSU or any who U somebody better look like counting their pennies.

Well, I am gonna have to agree with bluedog on this.

There's been good debate on this one. The fact is, Jerry Glanville would make a good coach for a SWAC school that are in need of a coach. The other fact is, that Melvin Spears will make a very good coach for Grambling. "Now, can't we all just get along!!"

Mr. SWAC said:
There would be so much media attention and eyes watching grambling that athletes would look at that possible exposure and sign with GSU.
We are well beyond this point.

Mr. SWAC said:
I'm talking about nothing less than a blue chipper. Qualified blue chippers.
"Qualified" blue chippers don't play early on at major schools so this point is moot.

SAME OLD G said:
"Qualified" blue chippers don't play early on at major schools so this point is moot.

I can smell the recruit hate again. Where is bandfan at??? Even the blue chippers may have to sit out a year. Whether glandville could have been a agreat coach at gram who knows. He may be more qualified than all the candidates including spears but who's to say he is committed to gram. Hal mumme was never committed to slu. He really used them as a come up. I want stability at gram. I don't mean stability in loosing either. 3 OR 5 YRS. IF YOU AINT GETTING IT DONE YOU GOTTA GO. Point blank. The landscape of college football has changed. A coach nowadays no longer has 5 yrs to get his program right. NOW IS THE TIME. Folks expect winning. I think spears is committed to gram wholeheartedly and wants to be at grambling. I feel he really wants to be the coach at gram. Spears like any other is expected to do one thing and that is win. Even he is not immune to the pressures of winning. It is the mandate of coaching. Glanville may have been great but how committed would he have been to gram in the long run or after one year of success. The athletic talent at gram alone is attractive to any coach but what happens when you no longer have that talent at your disposal. Will you jump ship or will you stay committed to gram by making something out of nothing. I feel spears is that committed. There were some rough spots last season but this season will be different with or without eugene.

JUST MY .0254678878 CENTS!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Glanville was/is just trying to get back into coaching(or working)...period. The GSU position was open, so he applied. I doubt that he would have been committed for the long term. It wouldn't have been a fit for him or the university. Can you imagine the mutiny that may have resulted from this hire. I only hope the AD chose the best candidate from the list of people who applied. Time will only tell.

jag4life said:
Cedric Benson, Payton Manning, Kevin Faulk, Marshall Faulk, Ron Dayne, Chris Leak, Maurice Clarett, etc
All were exceptions....not the norm. Thats that point I am trying to make.

Exactly SOG, some high school athlete's come in and play right away as freshmen, but across the board, they're more than likely to sit the bench, or redshirt.

In Peyton Manning's case, he played because Colorado Rockies first baseman Todd Helton got hurt, the same for Marshall Faulk. Kevin Faulk didn't have to beat anybody out, there was only Kendall Cleveland there when he got there, and he ended up splitting time with Cleveland, and Rondell Mealey another freshman. The same for Adrian Peterson, he didn't have to beat out anybody at OU, the job was his the minute he signed his name on the letter of intent.

Chris Leak beat out another freshman at Florida because there was nobody else, and the same for the 2 qb's from TN. They had to play because they got there at the right time, the only person they had to beat out was Rick Clausen, an LSU transfer, who wasn't a starter at LSU.

Gerald Riggs Jr arrived at UT with high expectations, and sat the bench as a freshman, the same for Jamarcus Russell at LSU, actually he was redshirted. Eli Manning also redshirted as a freshman.

Some of those same bluechip recruits, also have to change positions if they want to play right away. OSU's Ted Ginn, Jr is a prime example. He went to OSU as the USA Today defensive player of the year at corner, but he had to switch to reciever to play as a freshmen. Marcus Spears at LSU was the top rated TE in the country when he signed with LSU, but had to switch to DE if he wanted to play, and the same for Corey Webster, and Josh Reed, they both came in at WR, and RB, but had to switch positions.

Freshmen can come in and contribute right away, but more times than not, it's the situation of the school that will dictate if they will play immediately.

NICE

Back