Idaho to drop to FCS – Official announcement tomorrow

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
Tomorrow, University of Idaho President Chuck Staben will make an announcement regarding the future of Vandal football.

On March 1st, the Sunbelt announced that following the 2017 season, the conference would not be renewing Idaho’s football only membership (New Mexico State was voted out as well). Given the lack of a future conference affiliation, speculation grew that Idaho would seek to find a more local schedule, likely by dropping down to FCS play.

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-idaho-to-drop-to-fcs/

Idaho had 3 options

(1) Pray that the WAC come back together
(2) Hope that the Mountain West takes them
(3) Swallow their pride and go back to the Big Sky which the rest of their sports were already in.

I knew them being in the Sunbelt was going to be short lived because they are 2,000 miles from their closest school which is Arkansas St. Also with an enrollment of just over 11,000 the school and their athletic budget wasn't going to be able to afford all those plane rides.

If this was to happen, I doubt that Idaho would be alone. New Mexico St. and Eastern Michigan would be following suit.

Let them go 10 more years without a winning season and we will see if they are still in FBS.

I believe that someone out there can win at EMU. Trying to put together a non conference schedule that will help you get 6-7 wins in order to make a Bowl Game isn't impossible in the MAC.

The issue with many FBS programs is over the view faculty have with their salaries versus executive administrators' salaries as well as head coaching salaries of the said revenue generating (any many cases revenue drain) sports.

It will continue to be an issue with faculty and potentially students. Most administrators and board of regents will continue to ignore it.

We lost a recruit from noxubee to Idaho lol. Welp! Went all the way to Idaho to play in the FCS... could've gone to jsu or lorman for all that smh

The only reason that recruit even went to Idaho was because of FBS. I wonder if the recruits they got could transfer if they were under assumption that Idaho was going be FBS instead of FCS.

Young man from right there in Itta Bena played at Idaho from around 2008 to 2012 or so. His dad worked right on campus at Valley. Had a decent career out there but would have been a really good player at Valley. FBS looked pretty good I guess, long way from home.

Back