How Alcorn's Who Dat arrived in the NO

Brave

Da Better U get, Da Better we get & That's IT
Edit: video added

I've been doing some historical digging on Alcorn & ran across this discussion.
People here had a lot of questions so I'll try to connect the dots & answer questions from this thread from a few years back

http://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/alcorn-claims-the-real-story-behind-who-dat.86989/

In 1968 Alcorn started the chant. The article mentions that Alcorn fans was in the Super Dome saying the chant thinking about yesteryear but he didn't date when Alcorn played in the Dome. @bluedog asked what has Alcorn ever done 1st? Well a lot of things but I won't mention them all in this thread.

Alcorn played Grambling in 1975 to open the Super Dome, so we did do that first before any other Colleges stepped foot in there other than Grambling. This is more than likely how the chant got to the New Orleans Saints.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-GRAMBL...SUPERDOME-HISTORY-DOUG-WILLIAMS-/161662884075

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southwestern/grambling_state/1975-1979_yearly_results.php

The only thing I believe dude got wrong was Alcorn band's name. It was "The Band of Distinction" at that time. The stuff about the GGs is right though 1968 against FAMU (I remember Griff telling us about that FAMU game & how they stole the show lol).

http://sportales.com/football/who-dat-talkn-bout-beating-dhem-saints-and-braves-who-dat/

Last edited:
1) Why are you bringing up this old thread?

2) Why are you putting my name in it?

3) What are you on?

Last edited:

I'm connecting dots to the questions posted, chill out man I just like history. If I ran across the thread looking for information on that subject, & it never gave an answer on how the chant migrated to the Saints I'd be disappointed. I just tried to tie up loose ends.

I'm connecting dots to the questions posted, chill out man I just like history. If I ran across the thread looking for information on that subject, & it never gave an answer on how the chant migrated to the Saints I'd be disappointed. I just tried to tie up loose ends.

Do yo' thang....don't worry about people. All of them major in history from time to time.....LMAO

"Who Dat?" lyrics from 1937:

Who dat up there who's dat down there

Who dat up there who dat well down there
Who's dat up there, sayin' who's dat down there
When I see you up there well who's dat down there

Who dat inside who's dat outside
Who's dat inside who dat well outside
Who's dat inside, singin' who's dat outside
When I see up there well who's dat out there

Button up your lip there big boy
Stop answerin' back
Give you a tip there big boy
Announce yourself jack

Who dat up there who's dat down there
Who dat up there who dat, well down there
Who's dat up there, singin' who's dat down there
When I see you up there you bum
Well who's dat down there

Who dat

Staged minstrel skits featured frightened African-American characters saying "who dat" when they encountered a ghost, or someone imitating a ghost. Then, the "who dat"-"who dat say who dat" skit would play itself out. This skit was done frequently in short reels from the 1930s to 1950s and in some early TV shows too. Even the Marx Brothers had a "who dat" routine, which they included in their film A Day at the Races. "Who Dat Man? Why It's Gabriel!"[5] Often, a ghost was called a "who dat". MGM's animated character Bosko once had such an encounter in a 1938 toon called "Lil Ol Bosko in Bagdad".

"Who Dat?" became a familiar joke with soldiers during World War II.

Back in WWII, US fighter squadron pilots would often fly under radio silence. But things get lonely up there in the cockpit, so after a while there'd be a crackle of static as someone keyed his mike. Then a disembodied voice would reply, "Who dat?" An answer would come, "Who dat say who dat?" And another, "Who dat say who dat when ah say who dat?" After a few rounds of this, the squadron commander would grab his microphone and yell, "Cut it out, you guys!" A few moments of silence. Then... "Who dat?"[this quote needs a citation]

Origins of the "Who Dat?" chant

"Who Dat" became part of a chant for fans cheering on their favorite team. It has been debated exactly where it started, but some claim it began with Southern University Jaguars fans either in the late 1960s or early 1970s and went "Who dat talkin' 'bout beatin' dem Jags".[7] Another claim is that it was connected with St. Augustine High School, a historically African-American all-boys Catholic high school in New Orleans, and yet another is that the cheer originated at Patterson High School in Patterson, Louisiana (home of Saints running back Dalton Hilliard).[5] In the late 1970s fans at Alcorn State University and Louisiana State University picked up on the cheer.[8] Fans of professional wrestler Junkyard Dog, a star on the Mid-South Wrestling circuit from 1979 to 1984 who frequently appeared in events at the Louisiana Superdome and Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans, had a similar chant: "Who dat think they gonna beat that Dog".[9]

By 1983 the cheer had become so popular among fans that the New Orleans Saints organization officially adopted it during the tenure of coach Bum Phillips, and Aaron Neville (along with local musicians Sal and Steve Monistere and Carlo Nuccio) recorded a version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" that incorporated the chant of "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints" (performed by a group of Saints players). The song quickly became a major local hit, due in part to the support of sportscaster Ron Swoboda and the fact that Saints fans had been using the chant for some time.[5]

Meanwhile, in about 1981 Cincinnati Bengals fans and players had started with their similar "Who Dey" cheer ("Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals").[10] In a 2006 article, Toni Monkovic, a New York Times writer, speculated that the 1981 popularity of the Bengals' "Who Dey" may have led Saints fans to expand their use of "Who Dat", from the "small number, and possibly a very small number" of Saints fans using it in the late 1970s to the much wider use of the chant in 1983. She noted that the fan bases of the two teams continue to disagree about this, and that ultimately the evidence is unclear.[11]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dat?F

Hopefully this help clear up your acne (dots)

None of that information which I read already trumps Alcorns. You have players, coaches, and fans remembering specific time lines that predate SU and St. Augs 1976 claim. On top of that there is a specific game that places Alcorn in NO, with an article recalling the fans chanting the chant on unrelated documents. Too much ties back to Alcorn even in the late 70s with basketball.
Anything can be debated but in my case its settled.

None of that information which I read already trumps Alcorns. You have players, coaches, and fans remembering specific time lines that predate SU and St. Augs 1976 claim. On top of that there is a specific game that places Alcorn in NO, with an article recalling the fans chanting the chant on unrelated documents. Too much ties back to Alcorn even in the late 70s with basketball.
I saw a documentary that's Says SU was using the chant in either the 50's or 60's. Also I read it in Dr. Gibson's book.
http://sujagsnation.com

So you're saying that the News Orleans Saints fans all of a sudden decided in the early 90's to change their chant from Cha-Ching in the middle of the season and said "Hey remember that chant two decade ago from the alcorn and grambling game,That we could care less about? That the only thing white at that game was the toliet..... let's start saying that.

That makes more sense to you that they remembered a chant from a game that none of them ever attended, then the version of Louisiana own people account of it?

Last edited:
more info with interviews from Coach Whitney & the Who Dat Braves, LSU players/South Alabama members

footage included from the 1970s games as well

more info with interviews from Coach Whitney & the Who Dat Braves, LSU players/South Alabama members

footage included from the 1970s games as well

@2:40

20usdwj.jpg

**Sigh** once again people are trying to claim something as theirs when it's based in deep African-American oral history.

Trying to figure out the origin of "who dat" is like trying to figure out who started making huckabucks/dixie cups

But y'all keep on keepin' on **fist in the air**

**Sigh** once again people are trying to claim something as theirs when it's based in deep African-American oral history.

Trying to figure out the origin of "who dat" is like trying to figure out who started making huckabucks/dixie cups

But y'all keep on keepin' on **fist in the air**

Very distorted history. More accurately described as folk lure.

it's aight bruhs

mvgifl.jpg

Back