Hornets owner Shinn rips New Orleans

Jax

Chief Trolling offICEr
Looks like Shinn doesn't see a future in N.O. Shinn needs to give Tom Benson a call. Hopefully both of them can pull out of N.O.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AP Interview: Hornets owner sees 'little improvement' in New Orleans
By JEFF LATZKE
AP Sports Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- New Orleans' progress toward showing it can support its displaced NBA franchise in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina has been discouragingly slow, Hornets owner George Shinn said Monday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Shinn again said the Hornets plan to honor their lease at the New Orleans Arena but said that many "question marks" remain before he can determine whether that's a sound option.

"I've been back to New Orleans probably a half-dozen times since the storm, and each time we go back, I have a car there and we go back through the areas," Shinn said. "I hear all the politicians talk about all the great things that's happening: `We'll be back in a year. We'll be back in five months.' You know, crazy stuff.

"I have seen virtually very, very little improvement and it's very discouraging and very depressing."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKN_SHINN_INTERVIEW_LAOL-?SITE=LABAT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The NBA (Stern) should have never let Shinn sorry arse move from Charlotte. He should have been forced to sell the team like Tags told McCombs here in Minnesota when he wanted to move to LA or San Antonio. No offense to New Orleans, but that city didn't have the business infrastructure to support a NBA franchise when you already have the NFL Saints there who the people and the limited businesses there supported. Corporate dollars are a must and most cities can't afford to have more than one pro team if they don't have a lot of business backing. OK City will be nice for them just like San Antonio is for the Spurs.

JR said:
The NBA (Stern) should have never let Shinn sorry arse move from Charlotte. He should have been forced to sell the team like Tags told McCombs here in Minnesota when he wanted to move to LA or San Antonio. No offense to New Orleans, but that city didn't have the business infrastructure to support a NBA franchise when you already have the NFL Saints there who the people and the limited businesses there supported. Corporate dollars are a must and most cities can't afford to have more than one pro team if they don't have a lot of business backing. OK City will be nice for them just like San Antonio is for the Spurs.

Actually, it would be better for the Hornets (or any other NBA team) to move to St. Louis or Kansas City if they want to move to the midwest so badly.

I agree the NBA should have never let the Hornets leave Charlotte in the first place, especially after the city eventually passed a tax to finance construction of a new arena (how Ironic).

I agree the NBA should have never let the Hornets leave Charlotte in the first place, especially after the city eventually passed a tax to finance construction of a new arena (how Ironic).

They could not pass it, until they (Shinn and the team) left.

Jafus (Thinker) said:

Yep, because the fans hated Shinn just Houston fans felt about Bud Adams. That's when a commish has to have the balls to force the owner to sell. See Tags and McCombs. Folks here hated McCombs and Tags knew it. So he forced McCombs hand. Shinn wasn't an old school NBA owner and should have been dealt with. If Bud Adams had been a new owner in Houston like McCombs was here then the Oilers may have still been in Houston. LOL

jag4life said:
I am asking you why are you so adamant about them leaving.

I want them to stay because I am a fan.

IMHO...they really haven't done anything to help the state economically. Plus from a sports side, they are not a winning franchise. The state of LA cannot support them financially with our states educational systems rated almost dead last in the country. Our teachers are underpaid... and Benson wants the state to fatten his pockts but the Aints can't even beat LSU on a good day. Shall I continue?

Jax said:
IMHO...they really haven't done anything to help the state economically. Plus from a sports side, they are not a winning franchise. The state of LA cannot support them financially with our states educational systems rated almost dead last in the country. Our teachers are underpaid... and Benson wants the state to fatten his pockts but the Aints can't even beat LSU on a good day. Shall I continue?

Dude... do you think that if the Saints are not there that the state's educational system would just all of a sudden become even respectable? It is the PEOPLE WHO VOTE and RUN the state who are responsible. The Saints bring economic dollars to the city just by being an NFL franchise in a city that the league views as a rotation site for the Super Bowl.

...and no team brings much DIRECT dollars to the particular city it is in...but there is a lot of indirect money generated from tax revenue.

Shinn is a joke, and he's getting exactly what he deserves. As much as I love my hometown, and I'm a fan of the NBA, New Orleans wasn't an NBA city, and when you have an owner like George Shinn who's not committed to putting a winner on the floor, that's really a bad mix, because New Orleanians are not going to support 2 losers.

I understand why he wants to leave, because OKC has really embraced the team, and they're playing in front of virtually sell out crowds every night, and he's making more money there, but, he chose New Orleans, New Orleans didn't choose him. He knew the crime was bad before he arrived, he knew the educational system was bad, he knew the city had limited corporate resources, and he knew the city lived on tourism money, and yet he still moved there, because there was a brand new unused arena sitting there, doing pretty much nothing.

David Stern blocked the move, but yet he still pushed through, and now that the city needs anything positive, he wants to spout out all of the negatives involved with the city. If the muthaphugga was a big time owner, he'd pay out his lease, and stay in OKC, but unlike more prominent NBA owners his only source of income is the Hornets, and he can't afford to move them.

If he's not careful, when they do return he's going to be stuck in an empty building until he can pay that lease out, because the fans won't want him back.

Personally I thought the Hornets moving to New Orleans was a bad move, because of the economic situation in the city, and I knew they would never gain a foothole in the city, because we'd been without basketball so long that, fans weren't going to let go of the teams they've becomed accustomed to cheering for, and point blank, the Saints are New Orleans' team, and they would always be second fiddle no matter how bad the Saints do.

Phugg George Shinn, and the horse he rode in on.

NICE

Jafus (Thinker) said:

yeah Jafus, that's what I meant. But that seemed eerily similar to the Cleveland Browns-Baltimore Ravens move scenario...

But if Shinn was smart, he should've moved the team to St. Louis...which has a larger market (it can support the NFL, MLB and the NHL) and would generate money with a natural rivalry with the Bulls and the Memphis team

jag4life said:
Dude... do you think that if the Saints are not there that the state's educational system would just all of a sudden become even respectable? It is the PEOPLE WHO VOTE and RUN the state who are responsible. The Saints bring economic dollars to the city just by being an NFL franchise in a city that the league views as a rotation site for the Super Bowl.

...and no team brings much DIRECT dollars to the particular city it is in...but there is a lot of indirect money generated from tax revenue.

I didn't say they were the main reason the educational system ranks dead last. However, with the legislators wanting more tax dollars to go to the aints...that could very well have an indirect affect on it.

The Saints bring economic dollars to the city just by being an NFL franchise in a city that the league views as a rotation site for the Super Bowl.

The city might bring that(being the city owns the superdome) type of revenue in...but not the saints...

Jax said:
The city might bring that(being the city owns the superdome) type of revenue in...but not the saints...

Of course dude... but the Dome wouldn't be there if not for the Saints.

jag4life said:
So what is ATL? LOL

Huh bruh?

Good, or bad the Saints have fans. Unlike Atlanta, who only have Vick fans.

MH, laugh all you want, but bruh, you know Atlanta has to be the one of the worst, if not THE worst sports town in the country, and the sad thing is, y'all have corporate money, media size, and the population to be mentioned with the great sports loving fans in America, but you're not.

NICE

The Hornets should have never left Charlotte. It looks like Shinn got greedy and tried to make the folks in Charlotte pay by moving. He got great support in Charlotte.

Pro sports franchises do not usually have the big economic impact that many think. Though Houston missed pro football for a few years, they did not hurt economically when the Oilers left.

As I look at it now, Houston is better off that Bud's team is in Nashville.

Back