Hawks' ownership rift headed to court

Blacknbengal

Hawks' ownership rift headed to court

ATLANTA (AP) - A power struggle among the Atlanta Hawks' owners heads to court next week, overshadowing attempts in the offseason to improve the team with the fewest wins in the NBA last season.

Owner Steve Belkin of Boston has obtained a restraining order preventing his co-owners from removing him as the team's NBA governor.

As the NBA governor of the Atlanta Spirit LLC group, which also owns the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers and operating rights to Philips Arena, Belkin must sign off on the Hawks' trades. His refusal to approve the sign-and-trade deal for guard Joe Johnson of the Phoenix Suns prompted the rift. :confused:

The restraining order obtained Thursday prevents the other owners from following through with plans to vote Belkin out. The restraining order was first reported Friday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday in Suffolk County Superior Court in Boston.

"There was no other option but to seek legal protection," Belkin said Thursday.

On Friday, Belkin stressed in a statement to The Associated Press that he did not object to the five-year contract offer for Johnson valued at about $70 million, including about $20 million for the first year of the deal, making Johnson the team's highest-paid player.

Instead, Belkin said he consistently told other owners that he did not approve of the offer to the Suns - two first-round picks, second-year guard Boris Diaw and a $4.9 million trade exception. Now I can agree to this. Two first round picks?

Belkin released Friday's statement in an apparent effort to answer criticism that his objection to the trade came late in the negotiations with the Suns or was unexpected by the other owners or general manager Billy Knight.

Read story

Is it me or does it seem like the Hawks are giving up a hell of a lot for a guy who has had only one good season. Why couldn't the Hawks have had this problem when they traded Dominique, or Pistol Pete.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
enswaclopedia said:
Is it me or does it seem like the Hawks are giving up a hell of a lot for a guy who has had only one good season. Why couldn't the Hawks have had this problem when they traded Dominique, or Pistol Pete.

I guess when you've been losing the past years like the Hawks have been, you'll do anything to improve.

Sting said:
I guess when you've been losing the past years like the Hawks have been, you'll do anything to improve.
But that doesnt make any sense. 2 first round picks is way too much and then giving away a 4.9 mil exception too?

The thing is that one of those two first round picks are lottery protected, meaning that if the Hawks are in the lottery next year (2006) they get to keep those picks. The second pick is protected up to the 5th pick of the 2007 draft. That dude Steve Belkin is just a cheap b@stard. He lives in Boston and could probaly care less about building a winning team. I know Joe Johnson may not be totally worth all that money, but sometimes it takes getting one good free agent to attract other big time free agents. Something the Hawks desperately need..

That's the price you have to pay when you want the HOTTEST free agent on the market. Joe Johnson is a str8 BALLA. You are giving up 2 non-lottery first round pick and a NO NAMER for the hottest FREE AGENT in basketball?

Dallas traded their first round picks for this year for a free agent (who wasn't as near as hot as Joe Johnson). They won't miss a beat by not selecting a player out of the draft this year.

Back