GSU's Bruce Eugene

JSTUS

THE WARHORSES!!!
GRAMBLING, La. – Senior quarterback Bruce Eugene (6-1,260) has been granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA which was officially announced by the Grambling State athletics department on Wednesday morning. The New Orleans, Louisiana native 2004 campaign was cut short due to a torn anterior cruciate knee injury that took place in the Tigers’ season opener against Alcorn State on September 4th. The injury occurred near the six-minute mark early in the third quarter on a 39-yard run where he was tackled by a pair of Alcorn State defenders near the Grambling State sideline.

There was a huge shockwave of relief throughout the Grambling State athletics department that was felt even more by the Tigers’ football coaching staff. Head coach Melvin Spears was very excited about the opportunity to coach his two-time Walter Payton Award finalist for another year.

“I feel elated. It is always a blessing when you have the opportunity to get a guy like that back of that caliber,” Spears said. “Certainly all of us are happy about it. Anytime when you get your trigger man back, you just don’t know what it feels like – we are ready to go.”

Eugene himself was also very excited and relieved about finally getting the opportunity to return to the field after waiting several months for this decision to be handed down. “It is a blessing in disguise, I have been contemplating every night on whether or not the NCAA was going to give it to me or not. Now that I have got it, it is going to be hectic around the SWAC.”

His plans for the upcoming season are to get in better shape and to help to lead his team to a SWAC title. “My plans are to keep losing some weight, get toned up and to basically go out an lead the team to a championship next year.”

Eugene for his career has completed 618 passes for 1,201 attempts for 9,122 yards including 84 touchdowns against 32 interceptions. He also has 1,050 yards rushing on 250 carries including 16 touchdowns while averaging 4.2 yards per rush.

Willie Jeffries, Grambling State’s athletic director was also glad that this process is now complete. “We are all happy because Bruce will be able to play again I know that he will have a great year. I am going to run him around the field a little bit to get him in shape. But right now, he looks pretty good.”

In addition to his accomplishments on the football field, Eugene is currently on course to receive his degree in general recreation in May 2005.

Source: GSU Athletic Media Relations Office

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Great news for Grambling and Bruce. Now tell him to GO TO CLASS and don't jeopardize this wonderful opportunity to further his football and academic career.

:tup:

Great news for Bruce. I am happy for him.

Now If Spears let's him throw it 40 ro 50 times in the BC, I know we will win then. We just can't handle that running isht.

JSTUS said:
His plans for the upcoming season are to get in better shape and to help to lead his team to a SWAC title. ?My plans are to keep losing some weight, get toned up and to basically go out an lead the team to a championship next year.?

Willie Jeffries, Grambling State?s athletic director was also glad that this process is now complete. ?We are all happy because Bruce will be able to play again I know that he will have a great year. I am going to run him around the field a little bit to get him in shape. But right now, he looks pretty good.?

In addition to his accomplishments on the football field, Eugene is currently on course to receive his degree in general recreation in May 2005.

Source: GSU Athletic Media Relations Office

OK, I'm glad to hear from GSU that Bruce Bruce is set to get his degree in May...

But question: Shouldn't Bruce had been working out ANYWAY after his knee got strong enough to allow him to do so? Why is he planning now to get into football shape and tone up? He's had, what three-four months after the injury to start working out and dropping weight, right? LOL @ Jeffries saying he's going to run him around a lil bit. Shid..I woulda had big boy with a Stone Cold Steve Austin knee brace on running around campus like he had the cops after him...

Journalist said:
OK, I'm glad to hear from GSU that Bruce Bruce is set to get his degree in May...

But question: Shouldn't Bruce had been working out ANYWAY after his knee got strong enough to allow him to do so? Why is he planning now to get into football shape and tone up? He's had, what three-four months after the injury to start working out and dropping weight, right? LOL @ Jeffries saying he's going to run him around a lil bit. Shid..I woulda had big boy with a Stone Cold Steve Austin knee brace on running around campus like he had the cops after him...

HE has been working out. I don't know at a fever pitch but he has been working out. TIme will tell. H ejsut needs to get in football shape he will never be slim and terim but if he can get toned up some and condition himself eating wise he should be alright. MY conscern is how will react on his knee when contact starts. I don't expect him come back and just plant and throw like he used to at first. He get back to beign bruce but it will happen over night.

STC_60 said:
HE has been working out. I don't know at a fever pitch but he has been working out. TIme will tell. H ejsut needs to get in football shape he will never be slim and terim but if he can get toned up some and condition himself eating wise he should be alright. MY conscern is how will react on his knee when contact starts. I don't expect him come back and just plant and throw like he used to at first. He get back to beign bruce but it will happen over night.

Ok STC...I agree...I know he'll be a lil gun-shy in first live action..it's just going to take him getting hit a couple of times for him to get his bearings right and his timing and stuff OK....

We know he'll never be slim and trim, but just think if he got down to like 250-245..how much that will help his knee...I'm not asking for Bruce to go on the crack diet, but just just tone up some while droppin 10-15 pounds (not impossible giving the length of time he's been out of action). I hope he didn't backslide on his eating habits/conditioning ...that would slow him down more than any tentativeness in drills...

Also..do/did they have him doing suicide drills or shuttle runs to kind of test his knee out?..I wonder if Gram will still keep the run game intact, but also go with more short-to-intermediate passing routes to help Bruce out until he feels he's ready to unleash his full abilities. Besides, nothing protects a QB like a great running game (see: UAPB, AAMU and GSU in the BC)...

Journalist said:
Ok STC...I agree...I know he'll be a lil gun-shy in first live action..it's just going to take him getting hit a couple of times for him to get his bearings right and his timing and stuff OK....

We know he'll never be slim and trim, but just think if he got down to like 250-245..how much that will help his knee...I'm not asking for Bruce to go on the crack diet, but just just tone up some while droppin 10-15 pounds (not impossible giving the length of time he's been out of action). I hope he didn't backslide on his eating habits/conditioning ...that would slow him down more than any tentativeness in drills...

Also..do/did they have him doing suicide drills or shuttle runs to kind of test his knee out?..I wonder if Gram will still keep the run game intact, but also go with more short-to-intermediate passing routes to help Bruce out until he feels he's ready to unleash his full abilities. Besides, nothing protects a QB like a great running game (see: UAPB, AAMU and GSU in the BC)...

He could get down to 245 but that takes discipline. I have not seen him run suicides or anything but i am sure he has been riding the bike. My prayers is that keep doing what works. If that's running the ball do it if its passign do that too. I don't want to see us try to force eugene into throwinng those 30yd fadde routes if he is not ready and force him to throw rec who are not open. I want to win point blank. IF THAT IS BY RUNNING SO BE IT OR PASSIGN SO BE IT. I am sure eugene will make a smooth recovery if he is properly advised about contact and everyhting else.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
?It is a blessing in disguise, I have been contemplating every night on whether or not the NCAA was going to give it to me or not. Now that I have got it, it is going to be hectic around the SWAC.?

Great news for Bruce...but the 2nd string QB won't just hand the starting job over.

BTW...Who is it going to be hectic for? Certainally not for SU. :shh:

Jax1906 said:
Great news for Bruce...but the 2nd string QB won't just hand the starting job over.

BTW...Who is it going to be hectic for? Certainally not for SU. :shh:
Can't remember where I read it but I think they are going to reshirt Landers this year. Not sure though.

ASU2002 said:
Can't remember where I read it but I think they are going to reshirt Landers this year. Not sure though.
They are not going to redshirt Landers.

SAME OLD G said:
They are not going to redshirt Landers.

We also have Larry Kerlegan on hand...he's not gonna be looking to just hand it over either. That's how it should be... Bruce, Landers, and Kerlegan (not in any particular order) should make for interesting competition in Lincoln Parish.

Don't redshirt anyone...let them compete and play!

Congrats to Big Boi and GSU.

Seems like that never had any barring on us (SU)
Oh Well :xeye: :xeye: :xeye:
Good Luck though

Back