Grambling's Black & Gold game 2005

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
G-MEN CLOSE OUT SPRING DRILLS IN BLACK AND GOLD GAME

GRAMBLING, La. ? The Grambling State Tigers football team officially closed out their 2005 spring drills in their annual Black and Gold intra-squad game. The offense defeated the defense 38-18 at Robinson Stadium on a relatively cool and breezy Saturday afternoon.

Tiger head coach Melvin Spears felt that the team looked very good on both sides of the ball. The coaching staff got a chance to look at a lot of the newcomers who also performed well in this game. Spears also felt that that this year?s team showed a very competitive nature throughout the course of the entire spring drills.

?I thought that we did an outstanding job on both sides of the ball with the young guys starting to compete like we want them to,? Spears said. ?But overall, we had great continuity as the quarterbacks threw the ball and the running backs running the ball. We certainly saw a lot of young guys play in the game, but from a football nature, we did a pretty good job.?

On offense, senior quarterback Bruce Eugene completed 19 of 34 passes for 275 yards including three touchdowns without throwing any interceptions. Wide receiver Moses Harris caught four passes for 51 yards including a score while fellow wideout Henry Tolbert caught three passes for 49 yards including a pair of scores.

Senior tailback Ab Kuuan had eleven carries for 151 yards including a score while fullback Ruben Mayes had nine carries for 79 yards and a score.

On defense, senior defensive tackle Lennard Patton had seven solo tackles including five for a loss of 21 yards along with four sacks for a loss of 49 yards. He also recovered a fumble while one of his sacks resulted in a safety. Linebacker Tim Wilson had nine tackles including five solo while fellow linebacker Cedric Harris had seven tackles (six solo) including three for a loss of twelve yards.

Hey Mac,

What did you think of the kickers in the Black/Gold game? How is that Ramirez kid? The stats on the 1AA board say that he hit a 37 yarder.

And how did Manuel do punting and placekicking?

Thanks,

Charles M.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If the G-Men has a good Kicking Game this year. Watch out SWAC. We are coming back to get what's ours. :wavey:

Senior tailback Ab Kuuan had eleven carries for 151 yards including a score while fullback Ruben Mayes had nine carries for 79 yards and a score.

:eek:

Linebackers...defensive line...questions...oh my

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
Grambling did u all have a quarterback with the last name Cooper or something like that transfer?

Gary Cooper did play for the ICON. I saw him in Itta Bena when we played Valley there in 2004.

They wasn't giving the Defense all of there points and they couldn't go full speed at the QBs, so they had to hold a little back, but they did fine and I have confidence in Coach Palmer

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The trip to B'ham is why I was asking about the kicking; no one answered. Defense wins games; Kicking wins championships. How did the kickers look on Saturday?

The punter booted a punt for the middle of the endzone that flew over the punt returners head, hit the 40 on the opposite side, and then rolled to the 15. He also kick some solid FGs but this was just a scrimmage. The other kicker hit some FGs and EPs. We have another one coming in. I think we will be okay in that area.

sibiur said:
The trip to B'ham is why I was asking about the kicking; no one answered. Defense wins games; Kicking wins championships. How did the kickers look on Saturday?

My kinda guy....lol

Every time someone brings up kickers..that dayumed PNeck shows up... :wavey: :topic:

But seriously...Mach....what about that "Rhino" formation y'all broke out in the classic... will y'all use it again..or only brush that off for thanksgivng weekend.
I've always said..if y'all woulda went to the run earlier in the season last year..the SWAC West race could've been a lot different...

are y'all still gonna gun it...or play off the run more...some I formation and two-back sets..to free up some things up the middle and down the sideline on the play-action.....

sibiur said:
Thanks Gram4Life for the kicking update.
No problem...

Journalist said:
are y'all still gonna gun it...or play off the run more...some I formation and two-back sets..to free up some things up the middle and down the sideline on the play-action.....
We did a little bit of it all in B&G game.

Some Grambling Black & Gold games have been worse scores than that and we've gone on to win Championships. What was the score of the jsu spring game in 2004 or 2003...6-0. Boy did that tell us alot.

Spring doesn't mean shat. The only people that like it are coaches, players trying to earn a job, and crazy-arse obsessed fans.

I usually just cross my fingers and hope nobody gets hurt.

Back