Grambling picks Mathieu as athletics director

SAME OLD G

A product of Greatness
Staff member
By Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

Grambling State president Horace Judson will recommend Troy Mathieu to the University of Louisiana System board as the GSU's new athletics director.<br>

Read More
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SAME OLD G said:
By Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

Grambling State president Horace Judson will recommend Troy Mathieu to the University of Louisiana System board as the GSU's new athletics director.<br>

Read More
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Congrats G-Men, on picking a McNeese Alum as your new AD...:D

Now lets get a series of home and homes, going in ALL Sports.

Football;
Basketball;
Baseball;

and those games that women play too...;)

McTailgator said:
Congrats G-Men, on picking a McNeese Alum as your new AD...:D

Now lets get a series of home and homes, going in ALL Sports.

Football;
Basketball;
Baseball;

and those games that women play too...;)
I'm sure he's going to sacrifice GSU to McN. :swink: lol

Don't let the word "sprawling" fool you. :) The 5.5mill $ budget is ridiculously small considering the total # of DISD schools (HS/JrHS) participating in athletics. Facility wise? :retard: DISD's only claim to fame is that new 12 acre sports complex on the south side of IH20 near Duncanville. Otherwise, it's truly putrid here and DISD athletics for the most part.... suck. :| I think the Grapevine school district (one of the many, many, many, numerous local districts) has an overall athletic budget > 9.5mill$ for 3 HS, 8 JrHS.. somewhere along those lines from what I was told via 3rd party. :retard:

Congrats GSU, I guess. But something in the back of my mind tells me that a qualified "G"er or other alum could've been seriously looked @ vs this McN guy. :|

Panthro said:
Congrats GSU, I guess. But something in the back of my mind tells me that a qualified "G"er or other alum could've been seriously looked @ vs this McN guy. :|
I agree. What kind of message are they sending.:smh:

New GSU AD knows prosperity
In previous jobs, Mathieu bettered deals, facilities
By Nick Deriso
nderiso@thenewsstar.com

GRAMBLING ? Troy Mathieu said he leaves his post as athletics director for the Dallas Independent School District with no small measure of pride in helping coaches succeed ? despite the obstacles.

"What I was probably most proud of was the way we were able to maintain our competitiveness and improve ? even though we were at a disadvantage as an urban district," Mathieu said.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060525/SPORTS/605250349/1006

cat daddy said:
The message is we want the best for the job, regardless of where he went to school.

Are you saying that other Graduates are better than those we produce. Most of the folks we hire have never had a real job until we hire them in our best positions. I believe we have the best, but are constantly hiring the 3rd or 4th best.

MightyDog said:
Are you saying that other Graduates are better than those we produce. Most of the folks we hire have never had a real job until we hire them in our best positions. I believe we have the best, but are constantly hiring the 3rd or 4th best.

No, that is not what I'm saying. I see no reason for us to limit ourselves to just HBCU graduates either. We don't limit ourselves when it comes to hiring professors and research personnel. Why should we do that when hiring an AD?

Have you guys read this article about Mathieu?

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060525/SPORTS/605250349/1006

This is not his first job.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
the band fan said:
damn....TSU turned him down?

Mathieu, who also interviewed for the AD position with league foe Texas Southern in 2000, was originally hired away from the Sugar Bowl in November 1997.

I already know the situation. Blackwell told me all about it.

Where does it state we turned him down? Ever thought the job was offered to him but he didn't accept the offer extended to him?

for reportedly what he's getting at Grambling, TSU is already shelling that type of cash out....

as for Mathieu, how he selects around him will determine how successful he is. Grambling, like most SWAC schools is in a unique situation so not anyone can come right in and start working there regardless of their credentials.

If surrounded by the right folks and given the right resources in addition to avoiding unexpected pitfalls, he shouldn't have any problems.

the band fan said:
for reportedly what he's getting at Grambling, TSU is already shelling that type of cash out....

You're still not seeing what I know. In 2000 we wasn't so loose with athletic spending as we are now and have been the past couple of years.

I don't know anything about the guy, but I'm guessing the search committee found something to be impressed about.

JSU just hired the greatest baseball coach we ever had to be our A.D. He sure could coach.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I agree. What kind of message are they sending.:smh:

He's not a McNeese guy. He's a McNeese graduate...so what? His job is to serve as Grambling's Athletic Director. If he schedule's McNeese it will be because it's in Grambling's interest. I think it's a good thing to play other state schools...not just McNeese. Whatever game that can increase our local fan interest and consequently attendance, I'm all for it.

Back