Grambling Nursing Students Have 100% Pass Rate on National Certification Exams

usa today

Sgt Backfire
GRAMBLING, La. – Grambling State University’s 2011-2012 Master in Nursing (MSN) graduates have continued the tradition of 100% pass rate on the national certification exams. This standard of excellence was established by Grambling’s first MSN graduating class of 1999.

“I am proud to say that our graduate program in nursing makes significant contribution to the health profession in the region,†said Rama Tunuguntla, Ph.D., interim dean of the university’s College of Professional Studies. “Our graduates applied themselves and we are proud of them. Our faculty produces top graduates and ensures that they pass their certification exams so that they can enter, what continues to be, a competitive profession.â€

“I commend the faculty for their dedication in providing the necessary learning experiences for students, and the students for their hard work and commitment to become good healthcare professionals,†added Danita Potter, Ph.D., interim associate dean of the School of Nursing. “Our faculty work hard to challenge our students, making sure they build on their existing nursing knowledge and gain additional skills based on real-world practice.

http://gramfam.net/2012/07/26/grambling-nursing-students-successfully-pass-certifications/

Now that's what i'm talking about.:happydance::banana::clap::tup:

^^^^^^EXCELLENT!!!!:tup:

My youngest daughter wants to be a nurse, and she initially considered Grambling State for her BSN. We read some interesting info on how GSU has a pretty good rate in their BSN majors becoming RNs.
She's also considering SUSoN (SU School of Nursing); she's been receiving info from different colleges nursing programs, and she got a pamphlet from SU, recognizing them as Louisiana's 2012 Nursing School of the Year. SU also has a very impressive BSN to RN rate.....so now she's torn between SU, GSU, and going to school in Texas. AAMU is another strong prospect (they have one of the best STEM programs in the country) and UAPB now has a pretty solid STEM program.

I have 2 co-workers here in the lab with me that are GSU alum; they both have several friends who are former GSU students who went on to become successful RN's!

This is great news for students who want to go forward with their BSN's but don't want to go into the clinical side of nursing! Great job Grambling State!!!:)

Last edited:

I know three of the professors over there personally....two are like moms to me and the other went to college with me. Those people are DEDICATED to their students. The Grambling Chamber of Commerce has a yearly health fair and the students volunteer. World AIDS they are out there. Black World AIDS Days they are out there. WITHOUT getting extra credit.

To me this is the best program GSU has.....

Lioness all BS aside I would recommend that your child attend Grambling for this specific degree. I'm not one who hung up on theory, "Where I went my money goes." I believe kids need the best education for their endeavors. Another issue with the department is that it promotes nurses to get their master's in nursing as well. They create LEADERS over there!!!!

I know three of the professors over there personally....two are like moms to me and the other went to college with me. Those people are DEDICATED to their students. The Grambling Chamber of Commerce has a yearly health fair and the students volunteer. World AIDS they are out there. Black World AIDS Days they are out there. WITHOUT getting extra credit.

Lioness all BS aside I would recommend that your child attend Grambling for this specific degree. I'm not one who hung up on theory, "Where I went my money goes." I believe kids need the best education for their endeavors. Another issue with the department is that it promotes nurses to get their master's in nursing as well. They create LEADERS over there!!!!

We have a great nursing program and its been that way for a while. We have La Tech students transferring from their to Grambling because we have Great teachers in the nursing department. I can honesty say that is Gramblings strongest department.

BE-YOU=TI-FUL!!!! Congrats GRAM!!!!! :happydance: This makes me SO happy!
dancing-banana.gif

Great jobs to all involved. Special shout out to the students, advisers, teachers, parents and everyone involved to make this program a success.

Thank you Founder. She knew she wanted to go into nursing when she was in 10th grade, and started going requesting information of various college nursing programs. One day she came in talking about the successful BSN to RN rate that Grambling State has......(I was like, "Oh Lord" :)) but I was very proud that she chose a great field of study and looked at HBCUs as well as some pwc's.

I'm not hung up on that theory "Where I went my money goes" either. Of course, I would have liked to see my girls go to UAPB, however, and I hate to say this but it's the truth, UAPB has had a terribly horrible BSN to RN rate ever since I went there back in 1996! When my daughter told me 2 years ago that she wanted to be a nurse, I knew right then that I wanted her to go to a school with a great nursing program, and as much as it hurt, I knew that she wouldn't go to UAPB. I love my school very much, but this is my child, and her success surpasses whatever feelings I have for my beloved alma mater.

But I do have strong feelings about my girls attending an HBCU as opposed to a pwc........but that's another thread topic!

We have a great nursing program and its been that way for a while. We have La Tech students transferring from their to Grambling because we have Great teachers in the nursing department. I can honesty say that is Gramblings strongest department.

GSU does have a great nursing program. Grambling and a school in Texas were her first college considerations because of their nursing programs.

Last edited:
Thank you Founder. She knew she wanted to go into nursing when she was in 10th grade, and started going requesting information of various college nursing programs. One day she came in talking about the successful BSN to RN rate that Grambling State has......(I was like, "Oh Lord" :)) but I was very proud that she chose a great field of study and looked at HBCUs as well as some pwc's.

I'm not hung up on that theory "Where I went my money goes" either. Of course, I would have liked to see my girls go to UAPB, however, and I hate to say this but it's the truth, UAPB has had a terribly horrible BSN to RN rate ever since I went there back in 1996! When my daughter told me 2 years ago that she wanted to be a nurse, I knew right then that I wanted her to go to a school with a great nursing program, and as much as it hurt, I knew that she wouldn't go to UAPB. I love my school very much, but this is my child, and her success surpasses whatever feelings I have for my beloved alma mater.

But I do have strong feelings about my girls attending an HBCU as opposed to a pwc........but that's another thread topic!

GSU does have a great nursing program. Grambling and a school in Texas were her first college considerations because of their nursing programs.

Well if she comes to GSU you can sit in my extra season ticket seats during football games being that my lady hates sports.

Each year, the Little Rock School District picks one of the local high schools to have an HBCU College Fair, and last year it was at J.A. Fair HS. GSU recruiter gave her a bunch of information on GSU's curriculum. I think some of the information included GSU's nursing intake rate of students each year, along with rate of BSNs earned compared to other schools in the country and in the state of Louisiana.

Never realized GSU and SU had such outstanding nursing programs.:tup:

Hey nobody's perfect...:emlaugh: but I love her no less.....

It has to be love if she doesn't like sports.......I'M KIDDING!!!!

But I think my baby is leaning toward Texas to go to college.

:topic::topic::topic:

Are you planning on going to the game on Nov. 10th when we go up against GSU? I plan to be there. I'm still trying to convince one of my co-workers to come with me. She's a GSU alum and has not been back on campus since she graduated back in the 80's.

Each year, the Little Rock School District picks one of the local high schools to have an HBCU College Fair, and last year it was at J.A. Fair HS. GSU recruiter gave her a bunch of information on GSU's curriculum. I think some of the information included GSU's nursing intake rate of students each year, along with rate of BSNs earned compared to other schools in the country and in the state of Louisiana.

Never realized GSU and SU had such outstanding nursing programs.:tup:

It has to be love if she doesn't like sports.......I'M KIDDING!!!!

But I think my baby is leaning toward Texas to go to college.

:topic::topic::topic:

Are you planning on going to the game on Nov. 10th when we go up against GSU? I plan to be there. I'm still trying to convince one of my co-workers to come with me. She's a GSU alum and has not been back on campus since she graduated back in the 80's.

I have season tickets so I will be there....well tell your baby to go where she choses and make the best of it.

Great jobs to all involved. Special shout out to the students, advisers, teachers, parents and everyone involved to make this program a success.

:tup: Now this is excelence in education!!! I stand and cheer for all SWAC and non-swac HBCU's when it comes to educational excelence! :clap:

My mom was a DON and then an ER Supervisor at one of the hospitals in Shreveport when I was in highschool. She always recruited Grambling and SU grads and spoke highly of their nursing program. Her only issue with them was how the older ones tended to call in on football game weekends. I remember her complaining about that a lot when I was in high school because she would have to go in if no one else would show up LOL But good look Gram! Keep producing quality graduates!

My mom was a DON and then an ER Supervisor at one of the hospitals in Shreveport when I was in highschool. She always recruited Grambling and SU grads and spoke highly of their nursing program. Her only issue with them was how the older ones tended to call in on football game weekends. I remember her complaining about that a lot when I was in high school because she would have to go in if no one else would show up LOL But good look Gram! Keep producing quality graduates!

Well they had a good reason to want to call in and miss work. :lol:

Back