Grambling about to expand and unveil satellite campus

usa today

Sgt Backfire
Grambling State University is preparing to unveil a new satellite campus next month that will enable the university to offer more programs, serve more students and have a larger impact on the region.

The 157-acre property, which will now be called Grambling State University — West Campus, is 2 miles west of the main campus on Louisiana 150. It houses 47 buildings, 26 of which will be immediately usable for residential, administrative, academic and maintenance purposes.

“We are all very, very excited, because this is one of the largest things that has happened in many years at Grambling,â€￾ said GSU President Frank Pogue. “This gives us an opportunity to educate more students and to enhance the presence of Grambling in our region and around the world.â€￾

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/...es-facilities-create-West-Campus-?odyssey=tab

:happydance::happydance:

Big props on this...

But is it really a "satellite campus" if it is only 2 miles away? I'd call it an extension of the main campus.

Why would you put a satellite campus 2 miles away? I don't understand the rationale unless it is housing an entire program like law or medicine.

Why would you put a satellite campus 2 miles away? I don't understand the rationale unless it is housing an entire program like law or medicine.

GSU houses the Bossier Parish Community College on campus. This is a good location for the student growth. They have even discussed moving the high school out there and tearing down the old high school to build other buildings.

GSU houses the Bossier Parish Community College on campus. This is a good location for the student growth. They have even discussed moving the high school out there and tearing down the old high school to build other buildings.

Okay, now I understand. Are you guys looking at building a second campus else where in the state.

Okay, now I understand. Are you guys looking at building a second campus else where in the state.

The location was once a home for mentally challenged individuals. It living locations have about 15 buildings which are basically houses that have 6 bedrooms and 4 bath rooms...with a great room. Then they have single family homes where the directors lived. There about 5 of those which can serve as incentives. For instance a place for the head coaches to live free of charge, rather than paying them the cash. The administration building is extremely large and has classrooms and office space. There is a gymnasium as well.

If utilized properly this could be extremely beneficial.

One thing Dr. Pogue said when he became Grambling President is starting up Satellite Campuses. Glad its finally happening. Once Grambling gets starts one in Shreveport we will really grow because the Shreveport market has loads of Gramblinites.

Way to go Grambling! I'm curious though, the way Jindal cuts everything is there a real possibility for satellite campuses.

Way to go Grambling! I'm curious though, the way Jindal cuts everything is there a real possibility for satellite campuses.

Grambling is blessed. Notice how Grambling has gotten through the budget cuts. Thank God. What SU has just implemented, Grambling started to do some years ago such as 4 day class schedule to free money up and not use limited electric on Fridays, furloughs, etc.

Last edited:
THAT is huge!!!! I'm not keen on Alexandria but I know the Shreve market has the potentiality. Excellent work. :tup:
Yes that will be the icing on the cake in getting to Shreveport. I always wondered if the campus was actually in Shreveport.

Back