Former A&M QB Onree Jackson a 'pioneer' with the Patriots

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
HUNTSVILLE -- When the New England Patriots take the field Thursday night with starting quarterback Jacoby Brissett, former Alabama A&M quarterback Onree Jackson will have a little smile on his face.

Jackson, who led the 1966 Bulldogs to an unbeaten regular season and the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship, was drafted by the then-Boston Patriots of the old American Football League in 1967. When his name was announced, Jackson became the first black quarterback of a predominantly black university to be drafted as a quarterback by a professional football league.

Click link below for the rest of the article...

http://aamusports.com/news/2016/9/2...-pioneer-with-the-patriots.aspx?path=football

It's so sad black kids don't respect or know their history. They can tell you about the racist SEC who fought to keep then out, but k is nothing about the black pioneers from HBCU'S.
My pops is from that era. He and his peoples have always confirmed that Onree was the real deal but he just didn't get a fair shot. It was just that tough they said.

Another QB that always intrigued me was Eldridge Dickey of Tennessee State who was drafted by Al Davis a year or two later. Now I am a Raider fan for life but his story is definitely not one of the finest moments in Raider history. The research the I've found was that he was drafted only to keep K.C and Hank Stram from using him. They say in preseason, Dickey was so good that another 1st year QB named Ken Stabler (heard of him?/Hall of Famer?) was ready to quit. But they changed Dickey to WR when the regular season began and it just messed up his head....

I promised myself that my next Raider jersey will be a #10 in honor of Eldridge Dickey....such a sad case of what could have happened...

Last edited:
Back