Finalist for the MVSU Basketball position.....

PV-PRIDE

Mississippi Valley State interviewed five finalists Monday on campus in Itta Bena for the men's head basketball job.
Former Southern Mississippi coach James Green was among those interviewed. He resigned near the end of the 2003-2004 season as rumors of his job security swirled.

Green coached USM to 123 wins and 109 losses in eight seasons, including a 22-9 mark and a Conference USA co-championship in 2001. Green spent this past season out of coaching. He has spent a lot of his time on his farm in Brooklyn, located just outside of Hattiesburg.

The other four finalists are: Mississippi State assistant coach Robert Kirby, Arkansas-Pine Bluff assistant coach George Ivory, Panola (Texas) Junior College head coach Scott Monarch and Dillard University (NAIA) head coach
Marco Bourne.

Valley athletic director Lonza Hardy Jr. could not be reached for comment this morning.

Ivory is a former standout player at Valley and a former assistant at his alma mater. He has been an assistant coach at Arkansas-Pine Bluff the last three seasons.
Valley is seeking a replacement for longtime coach Lafayette Stribling, who retired in May to take the head job at private Tougaloo College in Jackson.

Stribling won a school-record 315 games in 22 seasons in Itta Bena and led the Delta Devils to four Southwestern Athletic Conference regular-season championships, three SWAC Tournament championships and three NCAA Tournament appearances.

The new coach will inherit a team that finished 13-15 overall and tied for second in the SWAC with an 11-7 league mark, with the only key loss being point guard and leading scorer Hosea Butler (13.0 ppg.). Eight of the top 10 scorers return.

In addition, the incoming recruiting class includes Kenny Dawkins, a first-team all-state point guard who led Holly Springs to a 34-1 record.

good luck cause you got to make something out of nothing there...smallest budget in the SWAC and AAU has sucked all the "secrets" out of Mississippi.

some folks want Ivory because he played at MVSU but being an assistant at UAPB and their track record would haunt him.

the band fan said:
good luck cause you got to make something out of nothing there...smallest budget in the SWAC and AAU has sucked all the "secrets" out of Mississippi.

some folks want Ivory because he played at MVSU but being an assistant at UAPB and their track record would haunt him.

Probably alot of folks want my homeboy George to become coach. I am rooting for him to get it, since I have known him all the way back to our elementary school days. George was All-SWAC during his playing days at MVSU, was an assistant under Strib and worked with the JSU women's team as well. Don't know if he'll get it. Good guy though. Good Luck to "June" as we call him back in the old neighborhood.

My pick is ivory also.......

If they get him, they will have that 1-2 guard combo from the 86' team. (Since Nate is already the head coach for the women)

Back