"Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!"

Bro. Askia

Post season housecleaning
Coaches get their walking orders

http://www.nccu.edu/campus/athletics

By Bonitta Best
Consolidated Media Group
http://www.thecharlottepost.com

Coach Phil Spence's mind was obviously elsewhere.

I called Spence to inquire if the likelihood of war had altered his recruiting schedule.

"No, I have not heard anything. I'm going to continue on as if I'm coaching. I'm recruiting players and..."

Uh, coach, that wasn't my question.

"Oh, you're talking about the war with Iraq, not the war in Durham," he exclaimed.

It's understandable where Spence's thoughts were. He - and most of us - figured a decision on his job would have been made by now. After all, North Carolina Central Chancellor James Ammons told me March 3 that he would meet with Spence "within the week."

"Maybe he meant within the month," Spence joked.

As that old saying goes "not knowing is worse than knowing."

"I'm trying to recruit, and people keep asking me 'Are you still the coach?'" Spence continued. "I don't know what to tell them. I guess I'm the coach - 'til June anyway.

"It's like being put on hold (on the telephone). You wish the person would just come back and say they'll call you back or something."

Spence can take heart from another old saying "No news is good news." Think of it as having your case tried by a jury - the longer they stay out, the better your chances of acquittal.

I believe Ammons' decision is not as clear-cut as he first thought. I mean NCCU DID win the Western Division title, and Spence WAS named coach of the year by his peers.

Too bad Ammons didn't have Curtis Hunter as coach. Now that was a no-brainer. N.C. A&T Athletics Director Charles Davis sang Hunter the "Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!" song about 3 seconds after the MEAC tournament ended.

And the rumor mill is churning faster than my stomach after a fast.

Johnson C. Smith coach Steve Joyner's name is quite popular right now. Joyner and Davis go back to the former's high school days. You won't find a finer man or more upstanding coach than Joyner.

"Coaches are always flattered at this time of the year to hear your name associated with certain job openings," Joyner said. "I'm flattered to think that I may be a good enough candidate to move to their particular job."

But some schools and alumni don't want fine and upstanding. Ergo former Shaw coach Joel Hopkins' name enters the mix.

Hopkins has kept a low profile during his year of hiatus but with the season ending and the firings beginning, I expect to see him out of hibernation soon.

Then there's Davis' former employee, Luke D'Alessio of Bowie State, whose team has advanced to the Elite Eight. Hmmm, think the Aggies will accept a white men's basketball coach?

Yeah, right.

Across town, another vacancy might be opening soon. Shaw women's basketball coach Jacques Curtis' contract is also up in June. With a new president arriving next month, don't presume anything.

Then there's Alcorn State. Legendary coach Dave Whitney retired after the season. And Jackson State announced this week that it will not renew coach Andy Stoglin's contract.

Oh yeah, it's going to be one HOT summer

Back