Could JSU get a stadium on campus

ASU2002

I was reading in yesterday's Clarion Ledger and came across where the House of Representatives have allocated or trying to get approval on funds to do a study in building a football stadium on JSU campus.
The House amended the bill in the Ways and Means Committee to include funds for M-Quality, about $18 million for an ethanol plant in Greenwood and $1 million for Jackson State University to plan a new stadium on campus.

I wonder how far this will make it in the majority Republican Senate.

March 17, 2005

Related Articles:

M-Quality: No pork barrel for us

Bill would fund study on stadium
By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State is the only state-supported university without a football stadium on campus.

Percy Watson, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, thinks it's time that changes.

"Something needs to be done about Jackson State's situation," Watson said. "It's time they have their own stadium. . . we at least need to look into it."

That's why Watson and the Ways and Means Committee amended Senate Bill 3101 on Tuesday to include $1 million for JSU to plan a new stadium on campus.

The bill has to go back to the Senate for further consideration. The Senate will either agree with the changes the House made to the bill, or the two sides will sit down and try to reach a compromise.

A similar amendment was added to another bill last year, at a price tag of $900,000. It was shot down.

"I'm sure this will go into conference," Watson said. "We'll see what happens. It may not take that much. We may be able to do it for less."

JSU began playing its home games at Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in 1967, shortly before JSU demolished its campus facility to make way for a science building.

JSU rents the 60,000-seat facility each game from the Stadium Commission for $15,000, or seven percent of ticket sales, whichever is greater. The Stadium Commission receives 49 percent of the concession proceeds and retains all of the parking rights.

JSU also pays to bus its players and band members to each home game at the stadium, which is about five miles from the JSU campus.

The question is should the state continue to put money into Veterans Stadium, which is currently undergoing phase two of a three-phase, $25 million facelift, or provide JSU with money to build a new stadium on campus?

JSU athletic director Roy Culberson is in favor of the latter.

"I think it would be a great addition," Culberson said. "I don't really know where we would put it right now, we're land-locked, but when you have your own stadium you control everything.

"Now, we're paying money that's going nowhere except the Stadium Commission."

A year ago, the state said it would cost about $66 million to build JSU a 40,000-seat stadium.

"It's my understanding it would take about 48 acres to build a stadium of that size," Culberson said. "With all the residential area around here, I don't know if we could fit it on campus. But I would love for it to happen."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree JSU needs a stadium but isn't expecting the state to build one that seats 40,000 a bit much? I hope this is not the holdup.

Is JSU going to help with the funding? Could JSU go smaller and increase later themselves? Even with 40K seats, the Alcorn and SU game could not fit anyway. ANy other JSU game could fit in 30K seats.

IMO, when you go to the state, you get what you can but don't get the door slammed in your face by asking for too much.

I think asking them to build a 40,000 seat stadium is tooo much to ask for.....Personally in my opinion JSU need to rethink what they are asking the state to do..... I agree they should have their own stadium but come on 40,000 seat IS A BIT MUCH!!!! GOOD LUCK JSU

bluphiiijsu said:
March 17, 2005

"I think it would be a great addition," Culberson said. "I don't really know where we would put it right now, we're land-locked, but when you have your own stadium you control everything.

"It's my understanding it would take about 48 acres to build a stadium of that size," Culberson said. "With all the residential area around here, I don't know if we could fit it on campus. But I would love for it to happen."

I believe that "eminent domain" could come into play if JSU/state of MS. wants this to happen. However, I don't know that a 40K stadium will serve JSU needs if they start winning again.

gramuntildeath said:
JRock you think a 40,000 seat stadium should be built for them ?????

That is a tough question. On one hand, I believe that the under counts at Memorial are atrocious and suspect improprieties. Also on the negative side of the ledger, if JSU puts a good product on the field, the S.U. & Alcorn games very easily produce 60,000+. On the positive side of the ledger, JSU would have total control. I will pass on answering this question and defer to the JSU people.

I agree that 40K is too much. Aside from Homecoming, Alcorn and Southern, we can get all of our fans in a 30K stadium. The only other exceptions would be Grambling and Valley who occasionally draw more than 30K to Jackson. We also did it with FAMU (38K) and Howard (28K) when they both came to Jackson ranked #1 and JSU was #2 both times. As I said in the Den, the white folks don't look out for the opposing fans, why should we? If we get a 30K seat stadium, if people want to get into the homecoming, SU and Alcorn games, they need to buy season tickets and to ME, this is the only advantage to having a smaller stadium...something to drive season ticket sales. So we don't have to worry about losing money because of rain-outs (Grambling 2003) or unattractive opponents (New Haven, Prairie View, etc.) In a 30K stadium, the 1999 (undercount) and 2001 Grambling games would probably have been at or near capacity if you consider that we don't count students and most people would not want to take a chance on getting a bad seat to such a game..I know I wouldn't. We also won't have to worry about undercounts. Just like Alcorn got 30K into a 22K stadium for the SU game, we could get 35-40K in a 30K seater. I would just raise the ticket price to $30 or more. It ain't like they won't sell. The games would probably sell out before game day. I am sure that when SU gets their renovations done, the JSU game will be held in Baton Rouge. It only makes sense.

i agree with JROCK..."if we start winning again"... the 40K would be right up our alley.

We have to look at the context in which this info was released though....

The information about JSU recieving 1 million dollars to plan for an on campus stadium was originally printed in yesterday's paper as a part of an article that was focusing on how some senators are complaining that the state is WASTING TOO MUCH MONEY ON SILLY ITEMS. This item was a part of that list. Now, considering that this measure will have to go back before the senate....It doesn't look to bright. We're hopeful though.

To those that say 40K is asking too much. WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BUILDING A STADIUM ON CAMPUS UNLESS IT IS ATLEAST COMPARABLE TO THOSE OF THE OTHER STATE SCHOOLS. That's my stance on that.

40K would nice, but I'm sure we'd be willing to go down to 30K if it means making this happen. We can always add seats in later years. And once we got it built, I wouldn't move any games to memorial. Not even Southern and Alcorn. Maybe I'd consider moving the Alcorn game since its a classic.

NOISE TALKA said:
To those that say 40K is asking too much. WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BUILDING A STADIUM ON CAMPUS UNLESS IT IS ATLEAST COMPARABLE TO THOSE OF THE OTHER STATE SCHOOLS. That's my stance on that.

But did the state build all those seasts for the other schools? I know a whole lot of the seats in LSU's stadium were added later by private funds. LA did not build a 90K+ stadium for them.

You guys know your state legislators better than most of us... But I would be shocked to see any state build a 40K seat facility at a schools averaging right at 20K fans/year with NO STRING ATTACHED. States simply don't build facilities based on 2 games a year.

There's nothing wrong with taking what you can get and raising money to increase it later.

Jag Voice said:
But did the state build all those seasts for the other schools?

Nope..and even USM only has a 33K seater and I think that some of those seats were added to it...don't know when or how though. To me, ain't nothing better than a crowded stadium and we would make USM jealous as hell to see us have as many standing room only crowds as we could potentially have...Grambling, Valley, Alcorn, SU, and Homecoming at least. And now with Alcorn and SU being on different years, that will help season ticket sales a lot. It will also give us better home atmosphere which can help a lot.

Kewl!!! I wish you all the best I am going to have to check out that JSU and Southern game next year. I did not know it was going down like that..... NICE CROWD!!!!

gramuntildeath said:
Kewl!!! I wish you all the best I am going to have to check out that JSU and Southern game next year. I did not know it was going down like that..... NICE CROWD!!!!

S.U.& JSU game is "off the chain." This game is a must for any black college football lover (particularly when it is played in Jackson or Baton Rouge).

Tigerpride said:
I agree that 40K is too much. Aside from Homecoming, Alcorn and Southern, we can get all of our fans in a 30K stadium. The only other exceptions would be Grambling and Valley who occasionally draw more than 30K to Jackson. We also did it with FAMU (38K) and Howard (28K) when they both came to Jackson ranked #1 and JSU was #2 both times. As I said in the Den, the white folks don't look out for the opposing fans, why should we? If we get a 30K seat stadium, if people want to get into the homecoming, SU and Alcorn games, they need to buy season tickets and to ME, this is the only advantage to having a smaller stadium...something to drive season ticket sales. So we don't have to worry about losing money because of rain-outs (Grambling 2003) or unattractive opponents (New Haven, Prairie View, etc.) In a 30K stadium, the 1999 (undercount) and 2001 Grambling games would probably have been at or near capacity if you consider that we don't count students and most people would not want to take a chance on getting a bad seat to such a game..I know I wouldn't. We also won't have to worry about undercounts. Just like Alcorn got 30K into a 22K stadium for the SU game, we could get 35-40K in a 30K seater. I would just raise the ticket price to $30 or more. It ain't like they won't sell. The games would probably sell out before game day. I am sure that when SU gets their renovations done, the JSU game will be held in Baton Rouge. It only makes sense.

I totally agree. We have to crawl before we walk. A 30-35K seat stadium would force people to buy season tickets if they have any dreams of making the traditionally high-draw games (SU, Alcorn, etc.). Once a track record of sellouts is established, then we can talk about expansion. That's how the big boys do it.

The reason JSU's attendance numbers are so wishy-washy now is because no premium is placed upon getting a seat in cavernous memorial. People can literally decide whether they'll attend most games 30 minutes beforehand.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JROCK said:
S.U.& JSU game is "off the chain." This game is a must for any black college football lover (particularly when it is played in Jackson or Baton Rouge).
I agree. Its lost its luster in during this decade. But during the mid-late 90's when both teams were at their peaks, it was the best rivalry in all of HBCUs IMO.

The more I think about it, they are probably asking for 40K seats for negotiation purposes. If we walk in saying that we want 30K seats, they might only give us 20K. Starting at 40K would likely guarantee us 25-30K at least.

ASU2002 said:
I was reading in yesterday's Clarion Ledger and came across where the House of Representatives have allocated or trying to get approval on funds to do a study in building a football stadium on JSU campus.
The House amended the bill in the Ways and Means Committee to include funds for M-Quality, about $18 million for an ethanol plant in Greenwood and $1 million for Jackson State University to plan a new stadium on campus.

I wonder how far this will make it in the majority Republican Senate.
You will be surprise how Republicans vote for issues for HBCU's. Gov. Huckabee of Arkansas(Republican) showed support for UAPB's new current staduim in the tune of some 3 million dollars.

As for history it was the Repubilcans who authored the bills for land grant institutions for African Americans in the mid 1800's.
.And I'm not even a Republican. :angel2:

Tigerpride said:

I agree with TP on this one. I've been saying this for a couple of years now about SU moving the J-State game to N.O. I think J-State has great fans, but this is SU's home game and it should be played on Campus. If they can't get a seat, then so be it. The big boys of 1-A don't go out of their way to help the opponent get a good seat to the game.

Nothing better than having a packed house of your own rowdy fans in a 30k seat staduim vs putting 45k in a 70K seat staduim where a 30 to 40% are there from the other school.

A 30-35k seat stadium on campus for J-State would be a great start.

pbla said:
You will be surprise how Republicans vote for issues for HBCU's. Gov. Huckabee of Arkansas(Republican) showed support for UAPB's new current staduim in the tune of some 3 million dollars.

As for history it was the Repubilcans who authored the bills for land grant institutions for African Americans in the mid 1800's.
.And I'm not even a Republican. :angel2:

That maybe true but that's Arkansas this is Mississippi. The same place that has taken almost all efforts out of education and the elderly.

Remember that was the 1800's not now. Republican are not the same as they were back in the day. The majority of the blacks were Republicans at that time that helped a lot of black Revels, Lynch, Bruce, etc.

But like everyone says JSU is long overdue for a stadium. There really should've pushed the issue more when Alcorn got theirs. The only problem that is really hurting them now is their location and lack of space. It would be a hot spot if there was land near the I-20 I-220 interchange. Wish you all all the luck in the world to get it.

Jag Voice said:
I agree JSU needs a stadium but isn't expecting the state to build one that seats 40,000 a bit much? I hope this is not the holdup.

40,000 to much....................Nope.

After the first study was done, it didn't make sense to build JSU a 25,000 seat stadium and then have to play .....say ....... 5 out of 7 HOME games at Memorial because of lack of seating.

They have already said IF they built JSU a stadium, it's will have to be this size because chances are University, St. Dominic's, and the VA Hospitals would buy Memorial so fast it would make your head spin. They would level that place for the land ...................HOSPITAL EXPANSION.

The land Memorial is located on is one of the most valuable peices of property in Mississippi. The hospitals have had their eye's on it for years.

It seems that JSU is Mississippi Memorial's main source of income. If JSU were to get an on campus stadium what would this do to Miss. Memorial?

enswaclopedia said:
It seems that JSU is Mississippi Memorial's main source of income. If JSU were to get an on campus stadium what would this do to Miss. Memorial?

As staggalee alluded, the land would probably be sold to one of the hospitals and the stadium would be demolished. The high school playoff finals and occasional "Battle of the Bands" are the only other events at memorial nowadays.

Jag Voice said:
But did the state build all those seasts for the other schools? I know a whole lot of the seats in LSU's stadium were added later by private funds. LA did not build a 90K+ stadium for them.

The state built the INITIAL stadium. That's the key.

JSU has not had an on-campus stadium since the 1960's. We are the ONLY STATE college or university in Mississipi that they have not built one for.

The seat's that come later have come from PRIVATE DONATIONS.

Point ......... OLE MS Stadium was built to hold 43,000 people. Private donations have pushed their seating to 65,000 today. The 43,000 was paid for by the STATE.

It's the same for Ms. State and USM. They are in expansion mode now through private funds and bonds.

Alcorn's stadium was backed by state funds and bonds in the early 90's. If they want to expand it, they have to raise the money themselves.

staggalee83 said:
40,000 to much....................Nope.

After the first study was done, it didn't make sense to build JSU a 25,000 seat stadium and then have to play .....say ....... 5 out of 7 HOME games at Memorial because of lack of seating.

5 of what 7 home games??

.......only if we play Grambling, Valley, SU, Homecoming, and Alcorn all at home in the same year or unless we get a great team to come to town, would we go over 30K and again, SU and Alcorn can be played in a 30K horseshoe stadium at premium ticket prices with 5K-7K overflow seats . There is no need to build a stadium if we are going to move Homecoming, SU and Alcorn. If so, all we need is a 20K seat stadium. Grambling and Valley (on good years) would be packed and the rest should be comfortable but it makes no sense to do that .

Back