Concerns raised over racism during (Soccer's World) Cup

EB

Concerns raised over racism during Cuphttp://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/worldcup/2006-06-01-intolerance-cup_x.htm
Updated 6/2/2006 12:43 AM ET

By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
Olympic Stadium in Berlin, where African-American sprinter Jesse Owens famously won four gold medals in the 1936 Olympics in front of Adolf Hitler, will host six matches of the World Cup soccer finals, including the championship July 9. The stadium has been renovated with a stunning steel-and-glass roof and luxury suites, with one VIP lounge bearing Owens' name.

Despite the new look, the stadium might have a hard time escaping its history as a symbol of racial intolerance. Seventy years after what became known as the Nazi Olympics, increasingly menacing racism within Europe is a major story line for this edition of soccer's quadrennial showcase.

In Germany and several other European nations, crowds shower minority players with racial insults at times. Several of the U.S. team's African-American players who compete professionally in European leagues say they have been targets of discrimination and verbal and even physical abuse because of their race — on and off the field. There are concerns about how racial incidents might affect the World Cup in Germany, where the 32-team tournament begins June 9 and will be held in 12 cities.

An anti-racism group in Germany is so concerned that it has warned non-white World Cup visitors to avoid rural towns and villages outside Berlin, in the formerly communist eastern part of the country.

Bruh they had a special about this last year..fans throwing bananas on the field, making monkey noises, they even have a racial organization that attends the soccer games. Quite frankly these folks ARE crazy. I wouldn't run up in those stands trying to fight better less having my family attend the games.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It is sad to hear about racism during the World Cup because some of the best players in the tournment are not White: Rolandiho, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo, DeMarcus Beasley. My son and I follow Soccer alot and it was sad to read about a game in which Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o was about to walk off the field during a game because of the racial remarks and sounds the fans were taunting him with during the game. I am glad to hear FIFA are trying to cleanup the racism in Soccer.

Back