Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for the anthem in protest

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Mediaafter Friday's game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ers-sits-national-anthem-prior-preseason-game

Dude better not play this game, because he will be on the loosing end real quick! Americans don't matter your race don't play when it come to Patriotism and what the US Flag and National Anthem means. He better talk to Chris Jackson A.K.A Mahmoud Abdul Rauf was black balled by the NBA. Plus Kaepernick is already walking on egg shells career wise.

Dude better not play this game, because he will be on the loosing end real quick! Americans don't matter your race don't play when it come to Patriotism and what the US Flag and National Anthem means. He better talk to Chris Jackson A.K.A Mahmoud Abdul Rauf was black balled by the NBA. Plus Kaepernick is already walking on egg shells career wise.

I said the EXACT same thing. He need someone in his circle to talk to his ass about this.

On the flipside, isn't it actually a sacrifice if you're actually putting something of value at risk? For better or worse, Kap is actually willing to put his career on the line; that isn't something to be criticized.

Last edited:
"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Kaepernick said that he has thought about going public with his feelings for a while but that "I felt that I needed to understand the situation better."

He said that he has discussed his feelings with his family and, after months of witnessing some of the civil unrest in the U.S., decided to be more active and involved in rights for black people.

We always complain about black athletes & stars not standing up for their beliefs.

But the minute one does it, we regurgitate white talking points.

What do we want from these people? Attention to social injustice or more buck dancing?

Making a political statement whether verbally or on a social website is on thing, but "Them Folks" look at any person regardless of race disrespecting the American Flag and Nation Anthem as a form of Treason dayum near! There's a way to express your beliefs and there's also a way to get everything you've worked for taking away from you!

Now it's totally up to Collin on what he's willing to loose for his beliefs, but history has shown that when you mess with the Country, the Country will turn against you......

We always complain about black athletes & stars not standing up for their beliefs.

What do we want from these people? Attention to social injustice or more buck dancing?

With the quickness. Kaep is really sacrificing with him being in the current position that he is in possibly losing out to Blaine Gabbert and probably won't see another big contract. We know how the NFL don't want brothers to be vocal and will use it against them with the quickness.

I'm surprised most are saying he needs to just shut up and play

There are ways for black athletes to be active, have a press conference or a demonstration in the community. But by no means run afoul of the flag or anthem. They went crazy over Gabby not placing her hand over heart. Now he don't want to even stand up for it, that's career suicide.
These are the same folks that Vick locked up for dogs. Not fined and probation, locked up.
Yall see Ray Rice got blackballed now look at Kap situation on the team. If they cut him he gonna be out of work for a min. You can say and do a lot but don't mess with the flag or anthem.
I remember it was last year or the year before that that the NBA cracked down on the players for all the movement they were doing while the anthem was being played. Now they must simply stand

Making a political statement whether verbally or on a social website is on thing, but "Them Folks" look at any person regardless of race disrespecting the American Flag and Nation Anthem as a form of Treason dayum near! There's a way to express your beliefs and there's also a way to get everything you've worked for taking away from you!

Now it's totally up to Collin on what he's willing to loose for his beliefs, but history has shown that when you mess with the Country, the Country will turn against you......

There are ways for black athletes to be active, have a press conference or a demonstration in the community. But by no means run afoul of the flag or anthem. They went crazy over Gabby not placing her hand over heart. Now he don't want to even stand up for it, that's career suicide.
These are the same folks that Vick locked up for dogs. Not fined and probation, locked up.
Yall see Ray Rice got blackballed now look at Kap situation on the team. If they cut him he gonna be out of work for a min. You can say and do a lot but don't mess with the flag or anthem.
I remember it was last year or the year before that that the NBA cracked down on the players for all the movement they were doing while the anthem was being played. Now they must simply stand

Kaepernick said he is willing to risk everything for what he believes in. And a flag nor song written by a slave owner is not going to stop him.

Kaepernick said he is willing to risk everything for what he believes in. And a flag nor song written by a slave owner is not going to stop him.

Oooooooo, o OK. If thats what he wants. But the repercussions are greater than what I believe he think they will be. These are not the type of repercussions anyone wants.
They did Abdul-Rauf so bad that whenever you hear of great shooters in NBA history his name is never brought up. This man had a stroke. And he held the free throw % record for a while. But he went afoul of that anthem.
If you ignore history it will find a way to repeat itself.

Our problem is giving a damn about "them folks" in the first place.

Oooooooo, o OK. If thats what he wants. But the repercussions are greater than what I believe he think they will be. These are not the type of repercussions anyone wants.
They did Abdul-Rauf so bad that whenever you hear of great shooters in NBA history his name is never brought up. This man had a stroke. And he held the free throw % record for a while. But he went afoul of that anthem.
If you ignore history it will find a way to repeat itself.

Well, do we want athletes to speak out and take stances or don't we?

About a month ago, I wrote a column that appeared on the front page of the paper I work for in response to current social issues of the day through the lens of a black man. Before it ran, my boss asked me was I sure I wanted it to run because of the overwhelming criticism from whites the piece would receive.

I told him I didn't care, and understood the ramifications of writing it.

I didn't have the same things to lose as Kaepernick for writing about race in the newspaper. But, it takes some level of courage to speak out as a black person in this country, knowing hell will come to breakfast for you.

Most don't because he or she says the wrong thing-guess whose pocket book get hurts-that TEAM.

Like others have said there are ways to do this and that is not one of them.

Folks are tired of hearing how bad this country is and the main ones crying are career criminals and their enablers. It's one thing for Tamir RIce, Philano Sterling, Tyshawn Lee and their supporters to go off because you can convince folks of the wrong better then you can someone who stole a car and shot at cops and all that. No one will care about how much wrong the cop did when it's a career criminas.

There are ways to do it. Case in point...

This is still seen as a symbolic gesture for what was and still is going on. And it is still shown time to time.
images

Do you ever see this pic being shown to show what someone believe in?
56e75b261e0000950071021d.jpeg

This will not go down as a pic to define what he is standing up for.

Cq3xWeNUMAAFrYp_1472313114121_1923414_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

This is still seen as a symbolic gesture for what was and still is going on. And it is still shown time to time.
images

There is no right way or timely manner to take a stand.

Most don't because he or she says the wrong thing-guess whose pocket book get hurts-that TEAM.

Like others have said there are ways to do this and that is not one of them.

Folks are tired of hearing how bad this country is and the main ones crying are career criminals and their enablers. It's one thing for Tamir RIce, Philano Sterling, Tyshawn Lee and their supporters to go off because you can convince folks of the wrong better then you can someone who stole a car and shot at cops and all that. No one will care about how much wrong the cop did when it's a career criminas.

There is never a right way to take such a stand in the eyes of folks who don't want to hear the truth.

About a month ago, I wrote a column that appeared on the front page of the paper I work for in response to current social issues of the day through the lens of a black man. Before it ran, my boss asked me was I sure I wanted it to run because of the overwhelming criticism from whites the piece would receive.

I told him I didn't care, and understood the ramifications of writing it.

I didn't have the same things to lose as Kaepernick for writing about race in the newspaper. But, it takes some level of courage to speak out as a black person in this country, knowing hell will come to breakfast for you.

Professionals have a bigger platform to get things done. I myself have stood up for something at a job that wasn't right. Then all the folks I was speaking up for was having their parking lot meeting talking about how they saw what I was doing was right and glad I said what I said but I did that for doing what was right. Mind you I was let go 6 months later on total bs. It was all about race but I didn't hold my words for fear of what was to be done however I did know the outcome would be and I was prepared.

I just hope Kaep is prepared for the outcome.

images

Wait, did you really just point to Tommie Smith and John Carlos as "acceptable" examples of how to protest? I know I wasn't alive in 68, but did I miss the heroes' welcome they received when they arrived home? The people who don't like the protest aren't going to dislike it less based on how you do it.

There is never a right way to take such a stand in the eyes of folks who don't want to hear the truth.

A BIG statement would have been him doing this in the first regular season game nationally broadcasted on Monday Night when the the nation is watching. That would have trended all over the internet. but he chose a preseason game. if you want to do it big, dammit do it big...Monday Night Football,.

Back