Cipriano to extend SU career

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
The Southern University men's basketball program got a nice boost, thanks to a new NCAA rule.
Peter Cipriano, a 6-foot-9 forward who was a first-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection, will have another year of eligibility because of a rule concerning nonqualifiers.

The rule, enacted in April, allows athletes to be eligible for a fourth year of eligibility if the athlete has 80 percent of his coursework completed through four years. Previously, nonqualifiers had to graduate with their class in four years in order to get another year of eligibility.

After already particpating in Senior Day activities, Cipriano had considered transferring to a Division II school in order to have a fourth season of eligibility. He won't have to make that move now.

"That's a good thing. That's very good," first-year SU coach Rob Spivery said. "I'm very pleased we'll get a chance to coach him."

Cipriano averaged 10.1 points and a team-best 9.2 rebounds per game. He also made 56.8 percent of his shots. His rebounding average and shooting percentage both finished second in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
Read the story

bluedog said:
The Southern University men's basketball program got a nice boost, thanks to a new NCAA rule.
Peter Cipriano, a 6-foot-9 forward who was a first-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference selection, will have another year of eligibility because of a rule concerning nonqualifiers.

The rule, enacted in April, allows athletes to be eligible for a fourth year of eligibility if the athlete has 80 percent of his coursework completed through four years. Previously, nonqualifiers had to graduate with their class in four years in order to get another year of eligibility.

After already particpating in Senior Day activities, Cipriano had considered transferring to a Division II school in order to have a fourth season of eligibility. He won't have to make that move now.

"That's a good thing. That's very good," first-year SU coach Rob Spivery said. "I'm very pleased we'll get a chance to coach him."

Cipriano averaged 10.1 points and a team-best 9.2 rebounds per game. He also made 56.8 percent of his shots. His rebounding average and shooting percentage both finished second in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
Read the story
Is their anymore players that got another year besides him? Geaux Jags :tup:

THis is great, not because we got a good player back, but because now there is a rule that encouraged a kid to do well in school, and rewarded him for it. If he is at 80% now, he will probably finish.

Also on that note, former Jaguar Tim Johnson was in school this summer also, working to finish his degree, he is playing overseas during the year. When all the smacking is done, this is what it is really about.

that's bad news for the rest of the swac. spivery needs big men for his system to work and now he's got a good one for one more season. i fully expect su to make a good run at the swac title this year if the guys buy into the system....and there's no reason they shouldn't. after all bama state had been kicking their butt for a bit. the only question for spivery is if he can win without lewis jackson on his coaching staff. he had not one single winning season or swac title without him on that staff.

the band fan said:
but Cip has to carry the load himself....he was a force playing with Deon Saunders
No,Chris Alexander ,Alvin Mott ,Nicholas England, Jerrid Campbell, & Pete + plus the signees....... :teleport:

major095 said:
the only question for spivery is if he can win without lewis jackson on his coaching staff. he had not one single winning season or swac title without him on that staff.

Major:
The big question is whether one big man is enough to get him over the hump against AAMU. Spivery knows he is going to need several good tall players if he is to break the press enough to stay in the game with AAMU.

Jag-BR said:
No,Chris Alexander ,Alvin Mott ,Nicholas England, Jerrid Campbell, & Pete + plus the signees....... :teleport:

Nic England? You think he's playing next year?

jag4life said:
You don't watch the news, do you?

Apparently not, judging by the posts...Nick Egland might be playing right there off Rosenwald Drive, next to BR Metro Airport..if y'all know what I mean....

I thought Jerrid Campbell exhausted his eligibility...unless he got a med shirt last season or season before last....

Personally, I don't think it is fair for Southern U. to win championships in football and basketball. But I will force myself to live with it.

JROCK, you won't have to worry about that at all this year. Take it from the basketall school..... you all won't even be close to winning the SWAC.

Mr. SWAC said:
JROCK, you won't have to worry about that at all this year. Take it from the basketall school..... you all won't even be close to winning the SWAC.

C'mon Mr. SWAC...according to MD, y'all not a basketball school...Y'all a volleyball school...

Journalist said:
Apparently not, judging by the posts...Nick Egland might be playing right there off Rosenwald Drive, next to BR Metro Airport..if y'all know what I mean....

He's currently living in a gated community and has a lot of time on his hands.

C-LeB28 said:
He's currently living in a gated community and has a lot of time on his hands.

Yup...for Mr. Egland's trangressions, he's now spending time at the luxurious East Baton Rouge Prison Facility...located on Rosenwald Drive near Baton Rouge Metro Airport...if he advances, he could possibly go to such accommodations as Hunt Correctional in St. Gabriel or Dixon Correctional in Slaughter...who knows..he might win the grand prize...a taxpayer-funded trip down state Highway 66 west of St. Francisville...

So let's thank him for playing "Say dumbarse...throw your life away!!!!!" :argue2: :angry: :slap:

Back