Choosing a Church Home

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
Believers, have any of you engaged in a search for a new church home at some point during your journey? If so, were you looking for certain criteria to be met or did you plant your feet where you believed the spirit wanted you to be?

Thank you in advance, for any of you that choose to respond.

Believers, have any of you engaged in a search for a new church home at some point during your journey? If so, were you looking for certain criteria to be met or did you plant your feet where you believed the spirit wanted you to be?

Thank you in advance, for any of you that choose to respond.
My family are I currently looking for a new church home. We go to a church that we haven't joined since we moved back to Maryland. We are looking for a family-oriented church that has activities for kids.

Last edited:

Yes, and after many many years and prayers, I finally ended up with a discussion with a couple of cousins, that are actively involved in church. And after explained to them, that setting in a church on Sunday (or any other day) was not working for me. That is when, unlike other relatives who were telling me that I had to go to church if I wanted to be Godly and otherwise, I was going to hell, they told me that I did not have to go to church. And that was after I told them that I pray, talk to god, use proverbs to plan my day and guide me, and talk with a few ministers. But setting in a church just leads me to daydreaming doing service (and/or looking at women).
My family are I currently looking for a new church home. We go to a church that we haven't joint since we moved back to Maryland. We are looking for a family-oriented church that has activities for kids.
Than that is the criteria you need to focus on. I am on my way to attending church again and I am working on what I want and need. I previously attended what I may say, a mega church (over 10k members). I actually enjoyed the church as I like the minister and how he delivered his message. However, I did not participate in any of the other activities, and they had many, so that will probably not be in my criteria.

Yes, and after many many years and prayers, I finally ended up with a discussion with a couple of cousins, that are actively involved in church. And after explained to them, that setting in a church on Sunday (or any other day) was not working for me. That is when, unlike other relatives who were telling me that I had to go to church if I wanted to be Godly and otherwise, I was going to hell, they told me that I did not have to go to church. And that was after I told them that I pray, talk to god, use proverbs to plan my day and guide me, and talk with a few ministers. But setting in a church just leads me to daydreaming doing service (and/or looking at women).

Than that is the criteria you need to focus on. I am on my way to attending church again and I am working on what I want and need. I previously attended what I may say, a mega church (over 10k members). I actually enjoyed the church as I like the minister and how he delivered his message. However, I did not participate in any of the other activities, and they had many, so that will probably not be in my criteria.
When we were in Dallas, we bounced around to different churches. We went to T.D. Jakes church and Friendship West under Haynes. Those larger churches make it hard to feel like a family church. I find myself looking for a church like I grew up in when I lived in Mississippi.

When we were in Dallas, we bounced around to different churches. We went to T.D. Jakes church and Friendship West under Haynes. Those larger churches make it hard to feel like a family church. I find myself looking for a church like I grew up in when I lived in Mississippi.
Me too. Also like the church I attended when growing up in Mississippi. Now in Houston, I went to KirbyJohn Cadwell's church Windsor Village. Those last two weeks I tried to go, I realized that all I was doing was flirting with women. And they were there too.

Well, my story is I remained in a Baptist church away in undergrad like the one I grew up in. I returned home to attend grad school, later I moved to my present city and remained affiliated with a traditional Baptist church due to my familiarity with traditions and so on.

However, my service in ministry took me deeper into outreach and evangelism. So much so that I began to go outside of my own spiritual matrix and look at things different. For a minute, I was pretty much out on my own with my immediate family helping me to do outreach. It was a good work that I am very proud of. When that season ended, I felt needed a home again and to be back directly under leadership. I just wasn't led to to return back to a Baptist Church like those I had been a part of even though I value the leadership in those churches how was brought up.

1. I presently worship at a smaller branch of a mega church that is affiliate with the Disciples of Christ but just like myself, many of the leaders came out of a traditional Baptist Church and denominations of any kind is rarely if ever mentioned.

2. Factors that led me at my present church has been A.) Strong Black Male Leadership/Men's Ministry/Presence B.) Solid outreach activities C.) and a strong emphasis on Black Liberation theology in the preaching and teaching...

3. Personally, my beliefs continue to evolve. I think that is natural of anyone in this faith walk. Yet I've felt spiritually empowered while being connected to where I presently worship and serve.

Last edited:
@LAW DAWG , in 1992, when I moved from Baton Rouge to Atlanta, my initial plan was to visit "all" of the very fine churches in the greater ATL metro area. At the time, my mom was already living here in Atlanta, and she recommended that I visit a church, which happened NOT to be her church. I can remember that day like it was yesterday, and it was 32 years ago. I didn't "dress up" that Sunday. I was simply going just to "see".
Well, after the Invitation To Discipleship was just about over, I was "moved" to unite myself and my family with that church. We continue to be members there, even today. My advice to anyone searching for a church home? Ask Him for guidance, and He will lead you, IMHO, right He wants you to be.

Back