Campus Debit and Credit Cards

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I honestly didn't know they still had them on campus until recently (credit cards). I can say I went through 4 my freshman year (imagine going from a broke household to access to a $1000 on a credit card). Fortunately for me, 3 of those companies got sued (two I received a small settlement check) and all were gone from my credit report by the time I graduated in 2003

I honestly didn't know they still had them on campus until recently (credit cards). I can say I went through 4 my freshman year (imagine going from a broke household to access to a $1000 on a credit card). Fortunately for me, 3 of those companies got sued (two I received a small settlement check) and all were gone from my credit report by the time I graduated in 2003
The good ole days. Man I tell you......

The good ole days. Man I tell you......

I went through 800 in 2 days on a Discover card to get a car to ride around in lol. Now you couldn't get me to even look at one to save my life. I'll tell any college student that these days. Try to work somewhere at night or on the weekend and get a good debit card.

Do like some people I knew that got their refunds and stack them up and when you finish school, you are not starting out from scratch. Plus you got some debit cards out here with interest bearing saving accounts attached to them that are a lot more attractive than what we had when I was in school.

This is something that may impact a few of our schools. The fed government is getting ready to crack down on these campus debit card and credit card agreements (thank God).

I know JSU has the supercard program that will be impacted but unsure about other schools.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ll-street-to-steer-students-into-debit-cards/

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/highered/reg/hearulemaking/2012/programintegrity.html
http://www.touchnet.com/prod/the-disbursemess.html
Are they saying just credit cards only ?? The supercard is more like a debit between the students account and the university due to only the funds the student has left over after fees are paid are the only funds that can be used on the card .

Are they saying just credit cards only ?? The supercard is more like a debit between the students account and the university due to only the funds the student has left over after fees are paid are the only funds that can be used on the card .

I havent read the supercard contract but more than likely that program is being ran by a bank that has a contract with JSU. There are probably swipe fees and other foolishness for everytime they use it. These type of agreements will be cracked down on by the feds

Man I sure ran through a few cards in undergrad. Paid them all out within a year after graduating. I wish I had invested those refund checks, though.

Man I sure ran through a few cards in undergrad. Paid them all out within a year after graduating. I wish I had invested those refund checks, though.

This aint about those cards. Most of them got banned years ago anyway. This is about the higher ones of the world. Some schools use banks to run their financial aid programs and/or force kids to open accounts with certain banks to get their refunds in a timely fashion.

Back