California Kicks For-Profit Colleges Out of State Student Grant Program

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect

Exactly 154 California colleges, 137 of which are for-profit schools, will no longer be able to offer students state aid for the 2012-2013 school year because those schools failed to meet new state regulations. The change comes after California became the first state in the nation to set more stringent standards than the federal government for student aid eligibility.

Under Gov. Jerry Browns’ new state budget, institutions of higher education which want to offer their students state tuition support have to have a student loan default rate of 15.5 percent or lower and a graduation rate of 30 percent or higher. “The Commission has argued for years that the best way to protect students, parents and taxpayers is to make sure Cal Grants help students get into solid programs that deliver proven educational and career value. Eliminating schools with high loan default rates and low graduation rates is a sensible way to do that,â€￾ Barry Keene, chair of the California Student Aid Commission, told the Sacramento Bee.

:tup::nod::nod::nod:

More states should follow behind them. I also think HBCU's should publicly support the Fed's attempt to crack down on these predatory institutions.

Exactly 154 California colleges, 137 of which are for-profit schools, will no longer be able to offer students state aid for the 2012-2013 school year because those schools failed to meet new state regulations. The change comes after California became the first state in the nation to set more stringent standards than the federal government for student aid eligibility.

Under Gov. Jerry Browns’ new state budget, institutions of higher education which want to offer their students state tuition support have to have a student loan default rate of 15.5 percent or lower and a graduation rate of 30 percent or higher. “The Commission has argued for years that the best way to protect students, parents and taxpayers is to make sure Cal Grants help students get into solid programs that deliver proven educational and career value. Eliminating schools with high loan default rates and low graduation rates is a sensible way to do that,” Barry Keene, chair of the California Student Aid Commission, told the Sacramento Bee.

:tup::nod::nod::nod:

More states should follow behind them. I also think HBCU's should publicly support the Fed's attempt to crack down on these predatory institutions.

:tup:

I heard this morning than less 8% of African Americans who attend a four year, for-profit finish in 6 years, less than 4% of black women do and less than 2% of poor black women do. I am trying to verify this data.

Last edited:
Under standards set by the Legislature and Governor in California's new budget, institutions must have a student loan default rate of 15.5% or less and a graduation rate of 30% or greater.

This would eliminate a few HBCUs.

Back