Busy Days in NFL - Cuts, Signees and News

Re: Daunte Culpepper finally has his wish.

JROCK said:
It will be interesting to see how Nick Saban fairs this year in Miami. Last year the press gave him the business. :lol: :emlaugh:

Wow they did? He made them go from crap to decent.

jag4life said:
Wow they did? He made them go from crap to decent.

Paricularly when he made the comment that it was not all about winning and things are going as planned. :lol: :emlaugh: He later had to recant those comments.....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Eagles cut T.O., Cowboys release Keyshawn

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5411038

Cowboys eye run at T.O. after cutting Johnson?

IRVING, Texas (AP) - The Dallas Cowboys released receiver Keyshawn Johnson on Tuesday, avoiding a $1 million bonus he was due and possibly creating room for Terrell Owens in the lineup and the locker room.

Johnson is a favorite of coach Bill Parcells and was scheduled to make only $1.5 million this season. However, he was seeking an extension and a raise, and the Cowboys apparently wanted to keep their options open - perhaps especially because T.O. is available.
"Keyshawn is one of a handful of the top competitors that have ever played for the Dallas Cowboys," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement. "The more he was a part of our team, the more we appreciated him as a player."

The tempestuous but talented Owens was released a few hours earlier Tuesday by Philadelphia, making him a free agent. Jones has never shied from big-name players regardless of the cost or risk, and the Eagles have long been wary about their division rivals trying to land Owens since they decided to get rid of him.

The question for Dallas is whether Owens' pass-catching skills are worth whatever trouble he may cause, especially since the Cowboys are coming off a 9-7 season and likely need more than a big-time receiver to reach the Super Bowl. Owens also might be a tough sell to fans still angry at him for having celebrated touchdowns against Dallas on the midfield logo at Texas Stadium.

Because of their playing styles and personalities, Owens and Johnson would be a bad fit as teammates. If the Cowboys end up without either, they'd need someone like them: A big, sure-handed receiver who can catch passes over the middle. Terry Glenn is the only other accomplished receiver on the Cowboys' roster and he's more of the small, speedy type.

Johnson turns 34 this summer and is coming off a solid season. He led the team in receptions with 71, and had 839 yards and six touchdowns.

He still could be re-signed, possibly even at the higher price he was seeking.

Another intriguing replacement Dallas might consider is Buffalo's Eric Moulds, who had some of his best years playing for Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe when they were teammates from 2002-04. Moulds' personal adviser told The Associated Press on Monday that the receiver has asked to be traded or released. He has two years left on a contract that's scheduled to pay him more than $7.1 million next season.

Dallas already has missed out on Antwaan Randle El, who signed with Washington, and Brandon Lloyd, who also joined the Redskins in a trade from San Francisco. The 49ers have signed Antonio Bryant, but the Cowboys were unlikely to be interested in someone they gave up on a few years ago after he threw a sweaty jersey at Parcells.

Like Owens now, Johnson came marked "handle with care" when Dallas acquired him from Tampa Bay in a trade for Joey Galloway.

Public perception of Johnson was low because he'd been deactivated the last four games of the 2003 season following a spat with Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, adding to a list of incidents that had him mockingly branded "Me-shawn."

Over two years with the Cowboys, Johnson made only ripples, not waves, and was a solid producer. His 25 receptions on third downs last season were eighth-best in the NFL and several of his touchdowns were game-winners. He never missed a game despite various injuries.

Johnson was the No. 1 overall pick by the New York Jets in 1996. He spent four seasons there and four more in Tampa Bay. After 10 seasons, he's 20th on the career receptions list with 744. He's caught a pass in all 151 games of his career, four behind Indianapolis' Marvin Harrison for the longest active streak.

Sting said:
I would have asked for a little bit more than just a 2nd round pick if I were the Vikings.

Yeah, the Vikings could have gotten more. BUT I AM VERY HAPPY FOR DAUNTE! WATCH OUT FOR THE DOLPHINS!

Drew Brees A Saint

This changes everthing. The Aint's are are getting ready to rebuild this entire team. Hey ... this may be a good thing. Who should they draft first now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

brees3-12-06.gif

Drew Brees

The Saints and former San Diego QB Drew Brees have agreed to terms on a six-year deal, the club confirmed this afternoon. Brees, the Saints' top target in free agency, threw 24 touchdowns, had over 250 yards passing in six games and threw for two or more TDs in eight games last season for the
Chargers in 2005.

link ....
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/

Re: Eagles cut T.O., Cowboys release Keyshawn

Part of me says get T.O. and use the 18th pick on an o-lineman or linebacker, and part of me says go after Santonio Holmes, who is the best receiver in the draft, and could be a playmaker with great speed.

Re: Busy Days in NFL - Cuts & Signees

Agent: Lions agree to terms with McCown

DETROIT (AP) - Former Arizona quarterback Josh McCown agreed to terms with the Detroit Lions Thursday, a move that could signal the end of Joey Harrington's run in Detroit.

McCown is expected to sign a contract Friday, his agent Mike McCartney said. He will become the fifth quarterback on the Lions roster, joining Harrington, Jon Kitna, Shaun King and Dan Orlovsky.
McCown, 26, was with the Cardinals for four seasons and graduated from San Houston State. He started 22 games for the Cards over three seasons and threw for 5,431 yards, 25 touchdowns and 29 interceptions.

He lost his starting job to former MVP Kurt Warner last season, but when Warner was injured he threw for 385 yards against San Francisco and 398 against Carolina.

McCown became a free agent at the end of the 2005 season and the Cardinals expressed no interest in resigning him.

With veterans like Kitna and McCown and a promising second-year player like Orlovsky, that seems to make likely the departure of Harrington, who carries a hefty contract and the baggage of four largely subpar seasons in Detroit. Harrington was the third overall pick in the 2002 draft.

Harrington is 18-37 as a starter. He would receive a $4 million bonus if he is on the roster June 15. His base salary is $4.45 million this year and next. The Lions were 5-11 last season.

As recently as last month, team president Matt Millen and new coach Rod Marinelli made it clear that the Lions considered Harrington their starter. And Mike Martz, the former St. Louis Rams coach and new offensive coordinator, said he believed he would work with Harrington.

Kitna agreed to terms earlier this week, but the Lions have not yet officially announced the move.

The Lions also have not yet announced that the 26-year-old McCown is joining the team, but McCartney said his client is thrilled with the move.

"Josh is ecstatic. We were looking for a spot where he could compete for a job," McCartney said. "The word is that the best man wins. He's excited. It's the right offense for him."

Source: T.O bound for Dallas; agent denies deal

Even in free agency, Terrell Owens' situation continues to be somewhat of a saga.

Thursday night, Lubbock's KLBK-13 CBS TV reported that the Cowboys have struck a deal with Owens. But when contacted by FOXSports.com about the report, agent Drew Rosenhaus vehemently denied that any such deal was finalized.
"I heard about the report too," Rosenhaus said. "Not true. Absolutely not true."

Despite Rosenhaus' denials however, a source close to Owens told FOXSports.com that the receiver has in fact agreed to a three-year deal with the Cowboys ? a deal that likely won't be announced until the weekend in order for owner Jerry Jones to be available in Dallas to properly make the announcement.

And now the next 48 hours will tell who's telling the truth.

Owens was finally released by the Eagles on Tuesday, and his release was timed so that the Eagles could avoid paying him a $5 million roster bonus due Wednesday. In addition to Dallas, Denver, Kansas City and Miami were said to be interested.

But the Cowboys talk heated up when, soon after Owens was released, the Cowboys cut receiver Keyshawn Johnson to avoid a $1 million bonus. Johnson was scheduled to make only $1.5 million this season, but was seeking an extension and a raise.

Owens is two years younger than Johnson and more dynamic, with defenses fearing him deep and across the middle. He has also been disruptive to his own teams, leaving bad feelings in San Francisco and wearing out his welcome even more quickly in Philadelphia, albeit after helping the Eagles get to the Super Bowl.

The Eagles have long been wary about the Cowboys trying to land Owens, even asking the NFL to punish Jones for comments in November that they interpreted as trying to woo him. Philadelphia backed off its tampering claim a few days later, but the coming days might prove whether team officials were onto something.

Owens in a Dallas uniform would be a stunning turn of events considering how reviled he was for celebrating touchdowns against the Cowboys on the team's midfield logo at Texas Stadium. But he's a marquee player in every sense, and Jones has never shied from those types.

Adding to the intrigue is the presence of coach Bill Parcells. He had no problem taking in Johnson two years ago when the receiver was coming off a spat with Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, but that was different because they'd been together before.

An Owens-Parcells pairing would be nothing if not interesting, although the same was thought about Parcells and Jones, and they're three years into their relationship without any known blowups.

Eagles sign Garcia, Gaffney

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Philadelphia Eagles signed veteran quarterback Jeff Garcia on Thursday, giving Donovan McNabb a capable and experienced backup he lacked last season.

The Eagles also signed wide receiver Jabar Gaffney. Both he and Garcia signed one-year deals.
A three-time Pro Bowl selection during his five seasons in San Francisco, Garcia played for Cleveland in 2004 before going to Detroit last year. He threw for 937 yards, three touchdowns and six interceptions in six games with the Lions.

Garcia, 36, will replace Mike McMahon, who played poorly in seven starts after McNabb had season-ending surgery for a sports hernia last year. McMahon got the starting nod over Koy Detmer, McNabb's backup for six seasons. McMahon and Detmer remain on the roster.

Gaffney, 25, caught 55 passes for 492 yards and two touchdowns last season for the Houston Texans. He had his best season in 2004, catching 41 passes for 632 yards and two scores. In his career, Gaffney has 171 catches for 2009 yards and seven TDs.

Gaffney is a cousin of Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard. The two played together in college at Florida and were drafted seven picks apart in 2002. Sheppard went 26th overall and Gaffney was taken by the Texans with the first pick in the second round, 33rd overall.

Garcia had his best season in 2000 when he completed 63.3 percent of his passes (355 for 561) for 4,278 yards, 31 TDs and only 10 interceptions. He averaged 3,720 yards and 28 TDs between 2000-02.

In seven NFL seasons, Garcia has completed 60.9 percent of his passes (1,695 for 2,785) for 19,076 yards, 126 TDs, 71 interceptions and has a passer rating of 85.8. An outstanding scrambler, Garcia also has run for 1,791 yards and 24 TDs.

McMahon completed 45.4 percent of his passes, had eight interceptions, five TDs and a passer rating of 55.2. Three of his picks were returned for scores and the Eagles were 2-5 in games he started.

Garcia was a San Francisco teammate and frequent target of criticism from former Eagle Terrell Owens, who was released on Tuesday.

"Had I signed a day or two ago, we could've been teammates," Garcia said about Owens. "He's moved on and I've stepped into a place where he played.

"I don't have a problem with the guy. He's a tremendous player on the field. I've witnessed that. He's a difference-maker. If I were to have an opportunity to be a teammate of his again, I wouldn't back down from the situation."

FOOTBALL: NFL: Abraham in town for talks
Steve Wyche - Staff
Friday, March 17, 2006

Top Falcons officials met and dined with New York Jets defensive end John Abraham in Atlanta on Thursday, trying to work out contract terms to acquire the three-time Pro Bowl selection, team officials confirmed.

Personnel officials also spent much of the day working out details on a deal to secure former Pro Bowl safety Lawyer Milloy, a 10-year veteran who spent much of his career with New England before playing the past three years in Buffalo. He visited the Falcons Monday and was offered a three-year contract.

Milloy met with Seahawks officials in Seattle Wednesday --- as did Abraham.

The Falcons have targeted both players to address weak spots in a defense they want to upgrade in order to improve on last season's 8-8, non-playoff finish. If acquired, both would step into the starting lineup and be asked to bolster a unit that includes three Pro Bowl players --- Rod Coleman, Keith Brooking and DeAngelo Hall.

Though Milloy may have other suitors, the Falcons have to jump through fewer hoops to acquire him. An unrestricted free agent, Milloy can sign where he pleases.

Abraham, who has 53 1/2 sacks in his six-year career, and the Falcons must first agree on a contract, then arrange a trade with the Jets. New York put the franchise tag on Abraham, meaning he can't sign with another team without the Jets receiving compensation. He could also play for New York under a new contract or on a one-year deal for an $8.3 million tender.

The Jets and Abraham have expressed their mutual desire to part ways.

New York wants Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub in the deal. Atlanta says it won't part with him. Draft picks might do, but the Falcons don't want to trade their first-round selection, No. 15 overall.

Redskins deal Ramsey to Jets for 6th-round pick
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Finally completing a trade that had been rumored for weeks, the New York Jets on Friday afternoon acquired quarterback Patrick Ramsey from the Washington Redskins for a sixth-round choice in the 2006 draft.

Given the uncertainty over the availability of Chad Pennington, who is rehabilitating from a second rotator cuff surgery five months ago, the Jets considered a variety of options for bolstering their quarterback depth chart. As recently as earlier Friday, the Jets were still in discussions about a trade that would have brought them Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub in a deal that would have sent three-time Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham to Atlanta.

The Jets and Falcons continued on Friday to explore other formulas for completing an Abraham trade.

Ramsey, the Redskins' first-round pick in the 2002 draft, but relegated to reserve status behind Mark Brunell for all but one game in '05, had been sought by several other teams as well. He met last week with Jets officials, including first-year head coach Eric Mangini, but also visited with Tampa Bay officials and was being pursued by Cincinnati. The Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions also demonstrated interest.

A few weeks ago, Washington was said to be seeking a second- or third-round pick in return for Ramsey, but the Redskins subsequently reduced their asking price. The Jets, until Friday, has been offering a No. 7 draft choice for Ramsey.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2372804

Well...and Vince Young drops another few notches.....

:cry:

Report: T.O. has agreement in principle with Cowboys

Terrell Owens may have found his home on the range.

The talented and volatile wide receiver, unwanted in Philadephia after a season-long squabble with management and quarterback Donovan McNabb, has reached an agreement in principle with the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Morning News reported, citing two unnamed sources.

The sources told the Morning News a formal announcement was expected in the next few days. No terms of the agreement were reported.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2373488

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Report: T.O. has agreement in principle with Cowboys

I've been a Cowboys fan, for as long as I've watched football, and will always be. That being said, I hate seeing Dallas sign this idiot.

GramFan said:
I've been a Cowboys fan, for as long as I've watched football, and will always be. That being said, I hate seeing Dallas sign this idiot.

lol...........I can't get the visual of him stumping on that Dallas emblem out of my head. It seems like an odd marriage. :lol: Futher, I must be dreaming and could have sworn I read McNabb has agreed in principle with Dallas also. I will have to wake up again, take a shower and then pinch myself to make sure that the below post was read correctly. :lol: :emlaugh: Maybe Madame Zonobia spiritual adviser told Jerry Jones the only way to break the curse of Quincy Carter is to hire and start another AA QB.

GramFan said:
Terrell Owens may have found his home on the range.

and quarterback Donovan McNabb, has reached an agreement in principle with the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Morning News reported, citing two unnamed sources.

The sources told the Morning News a formal announcement was expected in the next few days. No terms of the agreement were reported.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2373488

:| Business prevails over honor and integrity looks like. Sports looks to be no different than politics for crying out loud. i mean,, republicans were tearing Clinton a new one during the 90s, Clinton was clowning Bush Sr, now Bush Sr and Clinton are chums, like peas and carrots? now TO is talking about "just winning" at Dallas where he virtually spat on the star? this is Alice in Wonderland. You have got to be kidding me here.

Sincerely, Cowboy fan since 1987.

I would have been surprised if TO had not become a Cowboy and was a bit anxious when Denver entered the picture. I believe that he will do well in Dallas and hope that he does. Therefore, I welcome him to America's Team. Don't know if anyone recalls, but I used his picture in my signature wearing Irvin's jersey after the Eagles lost to the Cowboys.

I loved it when Jerry began to grow weary of the line of questions from reporters yesterday, and responded to one by saying "It's not about buying bonds for an old maid's portfolio." Tells me he is more about business than emotions.

Good Luck to Dallas - the only question is - Can Drama Queen TO hold in its Drama for 3 years. Time will tell.

That's right, Bartram...:tup:

It's all about business...Jerry Jones wants to go to the big game...he feels he can do that, w/T.O. on his squad. Everyone's talking bad about T.O., but as soon as he starts scoring all those touchdowns, they'll love his ass. :rolleyes:

As a life long Cowboy fan, I'm having a hard time with this deal. He is a ticking time bomb. When Bledsoe is having trouble getting him the ball, he will start bytching just like he did in Philly.

Childress compares Culpepper to T.O.

Childress compares Culpepper to T.O.

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress says he saw a little of T.O. in Daunte Culpepper. That was enough for him.

"It just became a deal where I didn't feel like it was the team, I felt like it was 'me,"' Childress said Monday about Culpepper. "I went through a big 'me' situation last year with a guy who was all about 'me."'
While still the offensive coordinator at Philadelphia, Childress clashed with Terrell Owens during training camp, the precursor to the mercurial receiver's high-profile exile from the Eagles.

Shortly after replacing Mike Tice as the head coach in Minnesota, Childress again found himself not seeing eye-to-eye with one of the team's marquee players.

Culpepper refused to rehab his severely injured right knee in Minnesota, preferring to remain at home in Florida. He also asked for a raise and was hesitant to meet with Childress and the new coaching staff to start examining the team's new offense.

"I think we're just playing the ultimate team game and so everybody has to be on board," Childress said. "Specifically, the quarterback has to be on board because that's kind of the straw that stirs the drink, if you will. You have to feel that, it has to be ringing through. I didn't quite get it."

With neither side budging, the Vikings shipped Culpepper to Miami last week for a second-round pick, days after Culpepper requested to be traded or released.

"Quite frankly, I don't think he wanted to be here anymore," the coach said. "I think he's probably better served where he's at. I think that we'll go forward and keep our gaze forward as opposed to looking back."

Speaking at a Chamber of Commerce luncheon, Childress said he never got a good vibe from Culpepper, the unquestioned leader of the Vikings until last season's struggles on and off the field.

"Everything became about being a $10 million-a-year quarterback," Childress said.

Read Story

JJ could care less about TO helping the Cowboys win. He is probably looking at MARKETING. TO on Americas team!! Since Troy, Emmit, & Micheal left, Dallas has been without a STAR for 5 years. TO is that star. Look for #81 to lead the league in jersey sales this year. Look for Dallas to get more media attention. Oh, TO will bring it on the field also.

Great pickup for Dallas, signing the best WR in the NFL. I just may have to become a fan again.

Jerry is using the best approcah. Don't worry about what happened before he came here?.. as long as he does not do it here. There are guys who have done far worse and moved on and became ideal players with their new teams.

Back