Bush Disses VUU

AJFriend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can not say that I am surprised by the way Bush treated VUU when they visited the White House. The first time an HBCU basketball team gets invited to the white house and that bum don't even acknowledge them or stay around to accept any of the gifts from the team. He left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths including the guy that wrote this article in the Richmond news paper:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...3251452&path=!news!columnists&s=1045855935174

White House fouls VUU visitors
MICHAEL PAUL WILLIAMS
POINT OF VIEW
Monday, June 13, 2005

Mr. President:

I know you're busy dealing with a chaotic occupation in Iraq, a hit-and-miss economy and plummeting approval ratings. But hear me out, please.

You owe the Virginia Union University basketball team an apology.

What's that? Never heard of'em?

Well, the VUU Panthers are the reigning NCCA Division II basketball champions. You invited them up the road from Richmond to recognize their accomplishments.

As an alumnus, I can say with confidence that this was heady stuff for a tiny historically black college founded 140 years ago in a former slave jail. The VUU contingent eagerly anticipated being received and recognized at the White House.

A group that included VUU President Belinda C. Anderson and Panthers coach Dave Robbins were received, all right, during what turned out to be a celebration of Black Music Month. But in a speech of nearly 800 words, you never specifically recognized them - even though the VUU players were sitting only a few feet away.

You acknowledged the musicians, members of your Cabinet and Rep. Robert C. Scott, D-Va., and Sen. George Allen, R-Va. I guess you assumed Allen was there because of his abiding love of gospel music.

This was a personal foul of the worst kind. Instead of giving the Panthers mad props, you made them props.

I'd accuse you of dropping the ball. But you cut out of the East Room before the team could present you with a commemorative basketball or personalized basketball jersey.

You don't invite someone to your house without acknowledging them. If your staff left you unaware that the VUU Panthers were there - how did you miss that huge national championship trophy? - someone in your charge has some explaining to do. After all, the political ritual of greet-the-champions isn't rocket science.

The athletes get the thrill of going to the White House and meeting the president. But how exciting can it be if you render them invisible?

You get a nice photo op to sway black voters leery of you and the Republican Party's awkward attempts at outreach. After all, Colin and Condi alone can't offset decades of Negro-hostile politicking. But doesn't this require you to be in the photo?

You weren't so camera-shy when the New England Patriots, the Boston Red Sox and the UConn Huskies came calling. But this time, you left the photo opportunities for Allen, whose pictures with the VUU contingent were displayed on his Web page and VUU's Web site.

The VUU team and Robbins showed a champion's class in taking the high road.

"Maybe we're a little disappointed," senior Ralph Brown told The Times-Dispatch. "I think everyone was hoping that we'd actually get a chance to sit down and talk to him. But it was still a great honor, and it's going to be a great memory - something we can tell our kids and grandkids someday. Just to be that close to him - I'll bet I was no more than 10 feet away from him. I mean, come on. That's not something that happens every day."

I know you're not the kind of guy who likes to admit a mistake. But just think how thrilled Brown and his teammates would be to receive a letter of belated recognition from the president.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
well dayum.

in the prez' defense....maybe VUU misunderstood what would be taking place... I can't see how the White House could commit that kind of oversight..... .. (weapons of mass destruction in IRAQ) ooops what am i thinking. lol.

We'll see what he does when one of those Texas teams win the College World Series in baseball.

We were a little disappointed but in hindsight not terrribly surprised. The nation saw the Mongoose defense first hand. The young men did take the high road and will be very successful in thier future endeavors.

SO PROUD, SO PROUD TO BE A PANTHER, SO PROUD TO A UNION PANTHER

I live in Richmond and I thought it was wonderful that the President invited VUU to the White House. Until I was VUU was totally disrespected by the President. George Allen did that because he has plans of running for President and that he was the reason that VUU was invited to the White House. He used VUU to get us African-Americans to vote for him and the Republican Party. It is amazing the things people will do for a vote. I would rather vote for Hong Kong Fufuy than to vote for George Allen and Bush.

President Bush should apolize for the disrespect he showed VUU. :smash: :smash:

wahines said:
It is amazing the things people will do for a vote. I would rather vote for Hong Kong Fufuy than to vote for George Allen and Bush.

President Bush should apolize for the disrespect he showed VUU. :smash: :smash:

Like a said a million times since Bill left office, Buck Fush!!!!

Hong Kong Fooey? Number one super guy? for president?
Hong Kong Fooey? Quicker than the human eye? for president?

Shid that might be better than what we got now...

Anyways, big ups and props to VUU, don't let dumb arse Bush's slight diminish y'alls accomplishment...maybe y'all can do a SWAC swing next season or sooner...

Bush is the biggest Dyck-Head in the world. But he doe not care about dissing VUU. You think someone who sent innocent kids to their deaths care about public opinion of not recognizing an HBCU?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
BandFan said:
We'll see what he does when one of those Texas teams win the College World Series in baseball.

Watch it especially if that is the University of Texas at Austin.

EB,

Either one. Especially Baylor since that is the home of his ranch (Crawford, Texas). He flies into Waco, TX. They trip over Bush and his quote unquote Waco, TX ties. It is unnerving for me personally. I are little disappointing now, because they thought they were going to get is library, but the talks are stating that it is going to Dallas and SMU. Unfortunately, while it is frustrating to read that he did that to the student athletes and coach of VUU, it is not surprising.

Oh yea, did you hear your boy the Governor (Texas A & M Grad) call the news man a MOFO yesterday?

^^^^ He had to at least glance at them and see the trophy. If this article is correct.

Man this b@stard don't even acknowledge the congressional black caucus so why in the hell did VU think he'd acknowledge them? :xeye:

bluedog said:
Man this b@stard don't even acknowledge the congressional black caucus so in the hell did VU think he'd acknowledge them? :xeye:

You have a point about the CBC. :lol:

That nut could have done better with those kids though. :lol:

Back