Bulldogs and Tigers we ready, are U?

tsutiger

Tigers eager to start under new coach

Open preseason practice tomorrow afternoon

By MAURICE PATTON
Staff Writer

Almost without fail, something new equals something exciting, and that seems to be the case with Tennessee State football as well.

The Tigers open preseason practice tomorrow afternoon, coming off a spirited spring practice under first-year Coach James Webster and subsequent revitalized summer workouts.

"We're going into camp on a good note," said junior defensive tackle Almonte Duncan, a preseason All-Ohio Valley Conference first-team selection. "It was a hard spring, but everything went well and we learned a lot of things.

"Everybody's coming in in shape, and I think camp will be a learning experience, an effort for all of us to get on the same page. A lot of players have stayed around this summer, working out, more than ever. I think Coach Webster has brought a lot of excitement to the team."

In addition to the arrival of Webster and a nearly all-new staff, the Tigers also had strength and conditioning coach Chuck Losey for the entire spring and summer. Losey, a former Vandy football player, arrived mid-summer last year.

"I hear there have been more kids here this summer than ever, that they're working really hard and they seem to be more focused," Webster said. "I'm excited about this team. I'm not saying I liked everything I saw (in the spring) or that everything went well, but I'm excited about what they did during the spring."

Though they have some gaps to fill, the Tigers return some significant talent and experience from last year's 4-7 squad (2-5 OVC), including the bulk of both lines.

"Coach Web and the rest of the staff have come in and shown us their winning ways, shown us what they expect out of us and what we can expect out of them," said senior Bryson Rosser, who emerged from spring practice atop the depth chart at quarterback.

"Just from that alone, we can come together as a team and know that we're going to put out 120 percent toward what they say because we trust in them to go out and play good for them."

Even though they've not played a game yet, the Tigers have already achieved one major goal for Webster.

"I asked them to do one thing: keep me off the front page of the sports section for doing something wrong," he said. "It appears we've been able to do that. I'm ready to go to work, and they are too."

Consult your roster: TSU will unveil new uniforms later this week and the jerseys will be minus player names. They will just have "Tigers" across the back.

"When we win the OVC championship, we'll put names on the back of all of them," Webster said. "Until then, we're just the Tigers. Right now, we're not about individual recognition with names. Do something for the team first."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Classroom work prepares Tiger for gridiron
By Nate Rau, nrau@nashvillecitypaper.com
August 09, 2005

Monday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. was a long time coming for Tennessee State linebacker Wesley Holmes.

It?s been two years since the Pearl Cohn product was able to take part in training camp. For a football junkie like Holmes, two years is felt like an eternity.

The problem for Holmes was that football almost became too much of a priority and his grades slipped as a result. Last year should have been his breakout season. Instead, his grade-point average was fractions below the NCAA minimum and Holmes had to sit out the season.

Since then he rededicated himself to his studies, and under the guidance of James Webster and the new TSU coaching staff, Holmes qualified academically this season.

As far as Webster, Holmes and all interested parties are concerned, the sky is the limit for the team?s middle linebacker this season.

?My studies are very important to me,? said Holmes who, along with his teammates, participated in the first practice of the season Monday afternoon. ?I worked very hard in the classroom. [TSU linebackers coach Canute] Curtis told me if I had to miss a practice or film session or workout, grades came first.?

This summer, when Webster was asked to name a defender he was counting on this season, the first player?s name he mentioned was Holmes. In TSU?s gang-up-on-the-ball-carrier approach, Homes figures to be the key to a successful season for the Tiger defense.

?My personal goal is to be the player of the year defensively in the conference,? Holmes said. ?I talked with [Curtis] and he told me, ?You could be the player of the year.?

?That might be surprising to some people, because I sat out, but that?s OK, I like being the underdog.?

Holmes turned in a 60-tackle season as a sophomore before sitting out last year. He hasn?t missed any weight room time and comes into training camp at a rock solid 234-pounds, he said.

With his grades up and his rested body in peak condition, Holmes said he?s ready for a memorable senior season.

?I?m excited, man,? Holmes said. ?It?s been a whole year. I?m a little older and wiser. I feel real good. All I can say is I?m ready.?

Webster happy with chaos

Not many coaches would use the term "chaotic" as a favorable description of a practice, but that's how Tennessee State's James Webster saw his team's first day of preseason workouts.

And he was OK with it.

"It was a little chaotic, but we wanted to create a little chaos," Webster said. "We've got 22 freshmen in here, and we're trying to teach them, and they're making mistakes. But they can't learn if they're not in there. As long as they're making them at full-speed."

Among the youngsters that were seeing time during the two-hour session were linebackers Carl Buford and Nashon Bigham, and receiver Antonio Graham.

On the flip side, a number of veterans were either on the sideline or not in attendance ? including Henry Tahir, the only place-kicker with collegiate experience on the TSU roster.

"We can only bring 90 to preseason camp, and we can't afford to bring three kickers," Webster said. "We know what Henry can do. We need to see what the other two can do."

Freshmen Eric Benson and Michah Streiff each connected on field goals of 30-plus yards to conclude a pair of two-minute drills toward the end of practice.

Hamming it up: Chris Ham, who started portions of the past three seasons on the offensive line after arriving as a nonqualifier, is back for another year of eligibility.

Ham was thought to have exhausted his eligibility after last fall ? to the point of participating in a postseason all-star game ? but gained a fourth year after an NCAA rule passed that allows nonqualifiers who have completed 80 percent or more of their graduation requirements to regain their lost season.

Though he has returned to the team, Ham has not returned to the starting lineup. Qudus Adeboyejo got the bulk of the reps yesterday with the No. 1 unit at right tackle.

"The best man is going to play," Webster said. "'Dus isn't going to give it up. He's played hard, he's practiced hard, and he's the starter right now."

Aches and pains: Injuries, though minor, are ready making their presence felt in the Tigers' camp.

Kevin Bledsoe (knee), Denard Cox (wisdom teeth), Tyler Martin (hamstring) were all sitting yesterday.

Meanwhile, Webster himself was sporting a brace on his left wrist, the result of a recurring injury that originated when he fell 20 feet from a ladder last summer.

Looks like a fullback: Iren Sanford, who arrived at TSU as an offensive lineman last season but saw most of his time in the backfield, has officially changed jersey numbers. After wearing No. 50 last fall, Sanford will wear No. 30 this year.

Looks like a lineman: Former Hillsboro High standout Calvin (Fridge) Bryant ? all 6 feet, 270 pounds of him ? was on hand for workouts yesterday after sitting out last year as an academic nonqualifier. Bryant will wear No. 6 and play fullback.

Media day postponed: Because the team's new uniforms have yet to arrive, media day festivities that had been set for this morning have been pushed back indefinitely. ?

[urlhttp://www.al.com/aam/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1123579025309440.xml&coll=1[/url]

Kellum finally takes to field after two years
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Huntsville Times
Paul Kellum has been at Alabama A&M for two years, but has yet to play in a game.

He was redshirted in 2003 and sat out last season after failing to become academically eligible. He missed last spring after undergoing surgery to repair a stress fracture and was on the verge of being cut from the team.

Coach Anthony Jones elected to bring Kellum back and the 6-foot, 195-pound wide receiver has responded through the first week of preseason practice. Kellum made a number of catches Monday as the Bulldogs completed their first two-a-day practice of training camp.

"I'm just working hard trying to work my way into the rotation," said Kellum, who is not listed on the Bulldogs' two-deep depth chart. "I'm thankful to Coach Jones for giving me another chance. He didn't have to do it. He could have found somebody else. I guess he saw something in me he liked."

Jones liked Kellum ever since he saw him at H.D. Woodson High School in Washington, D.C.

"He was making plays before he rendered himself ineligible," Jones said. "Now, he's making plays and hopefully, he'll be a kid that can keep it going.

Daniel Williams, a two-year starter at linebacker for Tennessee State and the top returning tackler from last year's team, is moving to fullback this preseason.

"I need some tough guys at fullback," TSU Coach James Webster said following yesterday's workouts. "I didn't think we were very tough at fullback. That's why we're moving him. He's a tough guy.

"I like Daniel Williams. I like the toughness he brings to the position and to the offense."

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound junior, who played offensive guard and defensive tackle at Hillsboro High, registered 56 total tackles last season ? third behind the departed Paul Thomas and James Dumervil and tied with junior defensive tackle Almonte Duncan.

"I like the point that they trust me enough to come to me with that option, that they trust me to come and be committed on that side of the ball," Williams said. "That's what I'm going to do.

"It was hard to think about at first, because I've been playing linebacker since I've been here and I thought I was doing well. But they asked me to come to that side, and I'll do what I can. Anything I can do to help us win, I'll do."

The only other fullbacks currently on the roster are converted offensive lineman Iren Sanford, walk-on sophomore Brandon Williams and another ex-Hillsboro standout, Calvin (Fridge) Bryant.

While Webster didn't like the depth at fullback, the move of Daniel Williams also speaks to the team's talent at linebacker.

"I've been very pleased with our freshman linebackers," he said. "They've looked really good. They're Division I players ? Nashon Bigham, Sherrod Graddick, Miguel Hall, Courtney Richardson."

It's not just toughness that Webster's expecting out of Williams.

"When we give him the ball, we want him to get at least 3 yards," the coach said. "When he blocks somebody, we expect him to put them on the ground. And our fullback has to catch the ball. He can catch. He's got good hands."

More movement: A pass-catching No. 62 looks a little strange, but that's been seen the last couple of days in Tiger workouts with Antonio Hudson working at tight end.

"We lost a lot of tight ends, and we need tight ends in what we do," Webster said of Hudson, who went through spring practice as an offensive lineman.

Junior college signee Jason Norris did not make it to camp and Tewann Tepper elected not to return, leaving Eddie Woods (four receptions, 41 yards, one touchdown) as the only tight end coming into the preseason.

Size doesn't matter: Conspicuous during the first two days of workouts has been Aaron West, a walk-on tailback from Millington, Tenn.

"I like that kid," Webster said of the 5-foot, 3-inch West. "I watched him on tape. He's a great kid and he works hard."

With Maurice Young sidelined due to a hamstring, West has been getting reps along with K.J. Austin-Bruce and Javarris Williams.

Phase II: After working in jerseys and shorts the past couple of days, the Tigers will don shoulder pads beginning today. The first full-contact workout is set for Friday, with a scrimmage scheduled Saturday.

Back